Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gskill Sniper DDR3-1600 compatible with mobo Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I come looking for your help 'cos I'm running in despair. I've recently bought a 2x8 PC3-12800 Gskill Sniper DDR3-1600 kit (F3-1600C9D-16GSR / CL 9-9-9-24 - 1.5V), installed them into my motherboard of reference but to my surprise my pc does not boot (black screen on monitor).

I had to go back to my 2x2 RipJaws DDR3-1333 in order to use my pc again. I've made a little research and I came to the thought that maybe a bit of manual BIOS configuration could be needed. As I am a noob with BIOS setup I don't want to change anything until I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

My exact bios setup options can be seen in this video found in YouTube: . In minute 1.16 you can watch the memory setup place.

Maybe I should change Memclock value to 800 Mhz, DRAM Timing Mode to both and also these:

tCL: 9
    tRCD: 9
    tRP: 9
    TRAS: 24
    tCL: 9
    tRCD: 9
    tRP: 9
    TRAS: 24

I guess I have to add these options twice as shown above as I choose both, once for each stick right?

Should I leave Memory OverVoltage to auto? Standard is 1.5000 V and memory stick says 1.50 V, so I think it's ok.

I could have tried this in the first place, but I'm very worried and I don't want to experiment and do something wrong. Do you recommend uprading bios first before trying this configuration?

I appreciate your help very much in advance.

Best regards,

TeeJay

Last time I worked with the 785 it maxed at 16GB in a 4x4GB config and wouldn't take 8GB sticks, so unles they changed the BIOS a lot that's prob the problem

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman for your reply. I checked the latest update on the asus bios for my motherboard and to my surprise is dated 2010 . So you don?t think is possible to support 8 gb sticks on this mobo? Do you think overclocking could be a solution?

Thanks!

Comment

OCing won't do any good if it's not set up to run 8GB sticks, will be stuck going 4x4GB to get 16 going

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, thanks Tradesman. I?d like to do a memtest when I get home so as to be sure they are no bad sticks. My question is, is it possible to do a memtest when the system does not boot itself? I mean, pressing delete while there is a black screen can still be an option?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Regards,

TJ

Comment

yOU COULD TRY, BUT BASICALLY THE SYSTEM HAS TO BE ABLE TO BOOT TO THE cd/dvd DRIVE OR THROUGH A usb DRIVE TO RUN mEMTEST

Tman

Comment

Ok, thanks. I have another question, do you think it is worth the risk upgrading the bios? Please take a look at the changes made since build 602 at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A [...] #download. My current bios version is 0602.

Thanks a lot again!

Regards,

TJ

Comment

There's actually very little risk these days with BIOS upgrades, and generally it's well worth it, when you look at their update recaps they generally will list one or two items, but there generally are numerous updates, and DRAM compatibility tends to lead the pack....when they release a mobo, they'll throw out a QVL - one of the things that isn't mentioned or is in very small print is that the sticks are 'tested' at the mobo default (generally 1333 or 1600) and generic timings....See my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

So what happens is as tie goes on and people complain about XMP not working they throw updates together for various freqs and timings and the DRAM compatibility improves slowly but surely, which is one of the reasons you see us helping folks by providing advanced timings corrections and voltage adjustments

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman! I wanted to thank you and I am also glad to tell you that the BIOS Update was successful. My motherboard recognized 16 gb (16384 MB) with 2 sticks of 8gb after final bios update (build 2105). I wanted to confirm this for everyone who could be going through the same.

Regards

Comment

Glad to hear all is well and thanks for sharing your info, I know it will be of help to many today and in the future. Keep in touch and thanx again.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X