G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH DDR3 2133 + MSI Z77A-GD65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH DDR3 2133 + MSI Z77A-GD65

I would like to know what would be good settings from anyone with knowledge or who has this exact setup.(the ram is not the Red Zs ending in ZL, but the black with Blue Zs)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
    with

MSI Z77A-GD65

Settings:

Bios version: v10.7/20121022
    Set the DRAM voltage: 1.655
    DRAM Timing Mode: Link

The current settings in the control center on MSI are as follows:

Channel: A
    Command Rate: 2
    tCL: 9
    tRCD: 11
    tRP: 10
    tRAS: 28
    tRFC: 170
    tWR: 16
    tWTR: 8
    TRRD: 6
    tRTP:: 8
    tFAW: 25
    tWCL: 8
    tCKE: 6

Whole Setup:

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K [NOTE: not overclocked]

CPU Fan/Heatsink:
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

MOBO:
    MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

RAM:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH [NOTE: speed set to 2133MHZ with XMP profile]

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

PSU:
    CORSAIR AX860i 860W Digital ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM

HDs:
    Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive [OS located on this drive]
    Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (***NOTE: possibly i have the EARS version same size)
    Seagate random 160GB(this is irrelevant bc i have it temp hooked up to take data off, but will be replaced by 500GB WD)

DVD/CD Drives:
    ASUS 20X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T LightScribe Support
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223Q LightScribe Support - OEM

Fans:
    2x Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition Twin Pack Fan (CO-9050008-WW) [4 total]
    + Corsair 600T Case fans(1x 120mm exhaust fan, 1x 200mm intake fan)

(this is not neccessary but so its here ^^)
    Case:
    Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

BTW

I have been getting BSODs after having reinstalled all drivers manually and OS twice on this new build, but have set the RAM to 2133MHz first with XMP profile, and now i have set the settings for the RAM manually to the aforementioned settings.

hello,
    did you check whether your RAMs have any error or not ?
    to check your RAMs, you can use memtest86 (free software).
    http://www.memtest86.com

Comment

Yea, one I get home I am at work currently, but that is my next step. I just wanted some initial feedback in case someone may know something that want posted.

Comment

With the MSI mobo, may want to look and make sure you have the latest BIOS, then if still any problems, raise the CPUVTT (MC (memory controller)) voltage to about 1.15...

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay I will do that... I have been reading through the forums and on msi and seeing that that might be the next step. Is there any particular percentage or amount I should increase decrease by of you know? I am going Rio look that up as well. I am not a newbie but I haven't been following this much lately and lost touch. Thank you for the help.I'll post back once I have made changes and have gone home to test with memtest and run it physically from home.

Comment

Stock CPUVTT will prob be a little over 1.0 so going to 1.15 should stabilize, then can play from there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm running memtest86+ v4.20 , but I have a question.... why does my memory show:
              Settings: ram: 954 MHz(DDR3-1908) ?

It's rated 2133 MHz?
              Here's a pic of memtest on Dropbox:

http://db.tt/wk0KCiMR

Comment

I understand that the ram without overclock should run at these normal rates. I have to do some research as to how to properly configure the ram to show the correct information in the system from cpuz or pc wizard. I'm sure a little more tweaking will fix it. It's running now stable at a bios set 2133 MHz with 9-11-10-28 @1.65v for DRAM WITH the MC(CPU VTT or CPU I/O on the msi motherboard) set at 1.15v like was recommended to start, and now it's running stable with no errors. Memtest+ ran with no errors for just under 5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Cydonian
                  Do you have a i5-3570k cpu??
                  Here is a detail info of your cpu on intel's web site:
                  http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/...up-to-3_80-GHz

Memory Specifications
                  Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) = 32 GB
                  Memory Types = DDR3-1333/1600
                  # of Memory Channels = 2
                  Max Memory Bandwidth = 25.6 GB/s
                  ECC Memory Supported = No

I sent an email to gskill tech department asking which ram to use on my motherboard (asus P9X79), and here is a part of their reply:

The following are 32GB compatible with your motherboard, but please keep in mind for 2133Mhz memory kits, we recommend 3930K, 3960X, or 3970X CPU. Other CPUs may not be able to support 2133Mhz.

I have a i7-3930k cpu but I checked for its specifications on intel's web site, it says:
                  "Memory Types = DDR3-1066/1333/1600"

I think I will buy a 1600mhz gskill ram pack to make pc run stable.
                  Btw if you read my specs and aren't trolling or just spamming my thread it's not a standard setup and is not intended to be. The case has 7 x 120mm fans(2 SP-esque fans[comes with h100i], 4x AF fans, 1x 120mm case fan,1x 200mm slim standard case intake fan) to keep overclock parts cool. I understand what the standard is, but that's not what I wanted, the tradesman is working with me and I'm working with msi to get my other base settings in order.

Comment

Codelinx has it correct - the specs shown on Intel's site are for the CPU at stock, anything above 1600 requires an OC which is why Intel put together the XMP Standard, the biggest problem here is that few mobo makers actually take the time to implement it into their BIOS (one of the reasons you often see so many BIOS updates) - also when they 'test' DRAM for their QVLs they test at the mobo default speed of 1333/1600 no the spec of the DRAM and not under XMP - see my info thread on the subject HERE:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

this often means that one has to manually manipulate timings and/or voltages to get the sticks stable
                    Last edited by Tradesman; 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM.

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply tradesman. I have a couple questions if you wouldnt mind explaining; i think this would help others as well.
                      The picture i linked from memtest+ v4.20 : http://db.tt/wk0KCiMR

1. Why does the Bclk show 89Mhz? isnt it supposed to be around 100MHz?

2. if the ram shows under "Memory" that it is 16GB why does it show under "Settings: RAM" that the speeds/bandwidth are "954MHz(DDR31908)"? EDIT: What does this mean exactly? (i have an idea, but i am not certain)

Just a recap:

DRAM set to 9-11-10-28 with DRAM voltage @ 1.65v and MC voltage @ 1.15v as per the recommendations and it ran stable so far and stable and no errors on memtest+

Comment

Also the ram i selected was also fine to run on my board with my CPU? I know it is quad channel, but if need be i can purchase dual channel ram of the same speed to achieve the bandwidth i want, correct?So for instance would returning the 2133MHz quad fix my issues of showing what i think is the incorrect speeds on my RAM sticks?

Comment

Going to start a stress test for memory running it for 24 hours straight to see if all dimms are truly error free.

EDIT: In CPUZ the DRAM FREQUENCY shows 1066.7 with FSB : DRAM ratio 1:8

settings 9-11-10-28
                          command rate 2T

EDIT #2: The above information is right. In dual channel you will multiply by 2, so therefor the DRAM Frequency being 1066.7-1066.8 MHz = 2133.4 - 2133.6
                          Last edited by codelinx; 12-27-2012, 08:29 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Cross Reference MSI forum thread:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=164751.0

Comment

My BIOS settings:
                              BIOS version: v10.7/2012102

settings:

DRAM Reference Clock: Auto
                              DRAM frequency: DDR3-2133MHz
                              Extreme Memory Profile(XMP): Disabled
                              DRAM Timing Mode: Link
                              CPU I/O Voltage: 1.1500 <------- MC or CPU VTT fyi
                              DRAM Voltage: 1.6555

NOTE:
                              disable the neccessary power save features.
                              Turbo Boost is on atm.

Comment

Working...
                              X