• How do I TEST my memory

AMD AM3+ 6100FX Zambezi 3.3 GHz Black Edition Unlocked Six Core CPU
    ASUS Sabertooth 990-FX Rev. 1 Motherboard with Bios 1604
    G-Skill Ares F3-1866C9-4GAB Memory Chips in Slots 2 and 4
    Frequency of the memory is 933 MHz and timings are 9-10-9-28 @ 1.5 Volts
    One Gigabyte GV-R6850C-1GD AMD Radeon HD6850 Graphics Card
    Windows 7 64Bit Operating System

Some of my problems:

I occasionally get BSOD as the computer boots windows, if I reboot it almost always finishes booting into windows. Most of the time I am getting errors while using Internet Explorer which crash the computer and causes a memory dump and reboot. Most of these dumps make reference to Memory in one form or another. The referenced BC Code is 1A on most.

I have not done any over clocking of my memory nor of my video card at this time. I have manually set my bios settings for my memory to the factory speeds and timings. That is 1866 and 9-10-9-28 and that is all I have set in the UEIF Bios settings.

I find it hard to believe that my memory is bad as I can play games such as Battlefield 3 on the highest settings on servers with 30-60 players for hours with no problems. I would think that I used all of my memory at times when the action is heavy and my computer never falters. I go out of the game start surfing the internet and then it will lock up and then start dumping the memory to a file. I do not understand the dump files, yet I looked up some up the codes and they refer to Memory Allocation Errors or such things as a certain part of the.. " referenced memory could not be read."

Now for my question:

What is the proper way to test my memory for errors with MEMTEST86+? Do I leave the settings as is in the Bios or do I set them to default which sets the speed at 1600 and changes the timings. Also, what test in the program should I run to assure that my memory chips are good. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I have downloaded MEMTEST 86+ Version 4.02 and installed it to a USB Drive.

I am new to building a computer and to over clocking. I do have years of working with computers but I am not advanced in tech knowledge.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Bloody Bill

Best to test 1 stick at a time in the primary slot and the DRAMs stock timings....as to your problems, with AMD you often need a pinch more voltage to the DRAM at higher freqs and also a bit more to the MC (Memory Controller). Might raise DRAM voltage + 0.05 and CPU/NB voltage + 0.06

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply Tradesman. I will up the voltages as you have4 suggested and then test each stick individualy.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Bloody Bill

Comment

Sounds like a plan, will be signing off soon for the evening have a virus to clean up and a couple upgrades on another rig....will check in in the AM (prob about 5, then in the field a good part of the day. Will check in as time permits

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman: Tested and it failed!

AMD AM3+ 6100FX Zambezi 3.3 GHz Black Edition Unlocked Six Core CPU
          ASUS Sabertooth 990-FX Rev. 1 Motherboard with Bios 1604
          G-Skill Ares F3-1866C9-4GAB Memory Chips in Slots 2 and 4
          Frequency of the memory is 933 MHz and timings are 9-10-9-28 @ 1.5 Volts
          One Gigabyte GV-R6850C-1GD AMD Radeon HD-6850 Graphics Card
          Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Operating System

Tradesman:

Sorry for not relying to you sooner. I messed around until I corrupted Windows and had to reinstall Windows and all programs and files. My stupidity, I refused to believe I had bad memory sticks as I had just recieved one stick as a replacement for one that went bad. Had I stopped when I first had problems and did a logical step by step test of memory and the other components I would have saved myself many days of misery.

However, I being the stubborn ******* I am I plowed into setting , sftware updates driver conflicts until it all went down the toilet. Then and only then did I stop long enough to test my memory and low and behold I had one stick that failed the Windows test and then failed the MemTest 86 Version 4.02 test. Hard tough lessen for me to learn.

Question: As I have had one stick replaced by GSKILL and It just might be the bad stick, Should I ask for both sticks to be replaced. I have the impression that both sticks should be a matched set. If so is it possible that GSKILL would send two matched sticks to me and then let me send in these two? I hate to be down with no computer at all for two or three weeks.

My Computer is running great with just the one good 4MB Stick in and I have no problems. I have just read that both sticks realy should be of the same lot or something. If not I will be happy to get the bad one replaced. I just got a bad one and I am still happy with GSKILL and have no complaints with their previous service when they replaced the first one.

Any adive you can give me will be appreciated.

Bloody Bill

Comment

It is always best to have a full set, believe they may send replacements if you provide a deposit and then you return the current sticks after the new ones arrive, will want to contact rma@gskillusa,com for particulars

Tman

Comment

Off to get an RMA!

Thanks Tradesman, your help was very much appreciated.

Bloody Bill

Comment

No problem, keep us updated!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X