Overclocked RAM on CPU stock speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocked RAM on CPU stock speed?

been reading up on overclocked RAM and am still green in this area.

1) As mentioned, is it possible to install overclocked RAM without overclocking CPU?

2) will XMP or the motherboard (auto) overclock my CPU and various settings just to stabilize the overclocked RAM?

3) is there risk running on 1.65v RAM?

4) considering F3-2666C11Q-32GTXD but it's no where to be found. where can i buy besides newegg?

5) is it suitable for my current build?
    asus p8z77-v deluxe
    intel i7 3770 (non-k) overclocked: multiplier set to 43, maxed at 4.1ghz on all cores.
    seasonic x850
    corsair hydro h100i
    --system will be on heavy load 24/7
    Last edited by nakunda; 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM.

2666 might be pushing it on a non-K CPU. 2400 might be a better choice. The last BIOS on that mobo wasn't ready for 32GB of 2400 above. Not positive about the latest, but that would simply be a matter of adjusting the advanced timings manually. XMP should set the OC and voltages, but again not positive about the latest BIOS. If the latest isn't ready, we can set you up on 2400...but again not sure about the non-K with 2666, it might, if it is a 'strong' 3770....sorry can't be more precise but for every model of CPU there's always some that are exceptional and some that are subpar, with the majority about at the midpoint....i.e. the bulk of 3570Ks can't run 32 of 2400, mine can, I got one of the exceptional ones Oh, and in the States, believe NewEgg's about it, there's a few other's, but the Egg tends to get the latest sets with a higher priority, a list can be found here:

http://www.gskill.com/reseller.php?c1=2&c2=25
    Last edited by Tradesman; 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

what about the risks of using overclocked RAM at 1.65v? testimonies I found online have been advising against the use of overclocked RAM and how it could damage your CPU over time. is that true?

and hey, thanks for the prompt response
      Last edited by nakunda; 12-01-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

nvm about the risk. how about the fastest RAM at the moment on 1.5v (non-overclocked?) 8GB x 4?

F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL

F3-17000CL11Q-32GBZL

F3-1600C7Q-32GTX

which is the fastest RAM atm?
        Last edited by nakunda; 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

My own take on that is the naysayers that look at specs and swear that is how things are. If you want to run at spec with an Intel CPU then it's 1333/1600 DRAM period. Most any DRAM above 2133 is going to take higher than 1.5 for the simple matter that to run the DRAM that fast it requires the CPU to be OCed....also Intel generally/typically under rates it's CPUs across the board - they list max voltages, Max speeds, etc and after years and years of building I tend to set my own MAX's. i.e. go back a couple of generations to the socket 775 and a bunnch of those CPUs, the Q6600 was released about Jan/2007 and there were all kinds of reports that it could be OCed up to about 3-3.2 GHz, any faster and youd shorten the life if not kill it outright - I got my first one about a month earlier from a friend at Intel and ran it conservatively for awhile, but before to long, I had it up to 3.6, and then to 4.0 and above on air --- I still have a number of these running all over...my youngest son still is running one as a gaming system and it runs all the games he thrown at it, my oldest still has one he uses a a home file server 24/7 at 4+ GHz...and to be honest I've never seen a system crash and burn from sensible voltage settings. With todays 2nd and 3rd Gen CPUs I tend to keep a cap of 1.7 on DRAM voltage and that's basically for 2600 and above DRAM.

Fastest at 1.5 I think is a higher CAS 2133 set (think CL11), I'll check but that's what comes to mind (at 2133 I use CL9 sets, if going CL11 with 2133 might as well drop to 1866 and get a CL9 set).

Of those you show, performance wise the F3-1600C7Q-32GTX would be the highest, 1600 CL7 roughly equates to 2133 at CL9 though by going 1600 as opposed to the 2133 set you'll sacrifice some bandwidth that the higher freq would provide, but depending on what you do it wouldn't be a humongous loss

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

wow impressive!!! thank you very much!

just one last question before i decide which to order.

which RAM would be best on intel hd 4000,
            F3-2133C11Q-32GZL or F3-1600C7Q-32GTX?

if you were me, which would you choose?
            Last edited by nakunda; 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Hate to say it, but I don't use on board graphics except for troubleshooting and even then extremely seldom, I remember hearing about folks having problems here and there with the 4000, but think most of the mobo makers and Intel got it straightened out w/ new drivers and BIOS updates.

If it's strictly between these two I'd go with the 1600 set (and prob run them at 1866/CL8 (and prob see if I could take them to 2133/10))

Tman

Comment

ya.. had my problems with hd 4000 as well, overscan especially.

thank you so much for taking your time and precious advices! appreciate them all!

Comment

No problem, let us know what you decide on and how you like 'em...and of course if you need any help, give a shout

Tman

Comment

finally gotten the cl7 ram after 3weeks of wait! perfect! decided to go with the 1600mhz ram in case there is a need to "fallback".

Comment

Glad to hear it, let us know how it goes!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X