Amd 8120 Sabertooth 990 Fx Gskill Sniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd 8120 Sabertooth 990 Fx Gskill Sniper

Hi.. I have 8 gb of ddr3 1866 pc3-14900 Sniper ram here...
    My bios doesn't have a 1866 so I have it set at 2000
    dram settings in bios are on Auto..
    Volts 1.5
    My CL times are not getting as low as
    9 10 9 28 as stated on the ram package.

when I set them to that.. it won't boot..
    is it because I have the memory set to 2000 instead of 1866?

I ran memtest and it all was fine..

I guess my question is .. should I set it to 1600 ?

Or is there a good overclock I can do .. ?
    Thanks Dwight in New Orleans USA

Could try 10-10-10-28 or so at 2000, but sounds like something wrong w/ the BIOs, should have an 1866 setting available. Do you have the latest BIOS? Think your mobo has DOCP - if so might try that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried DOCP with everything on auto...
      it keeps going to blue dump screen.. and restarting...
      it did however show me the 1866 speed then though...
      I have a lot to learn about Ocing..
      I went back to my original oc settings.. I can get it stable at
      4390 mhz 17.5 multiplier and 2000 mhz memory
      I was hoping to get it to 4500 mhz but I'm not able to get it..

Comment

Keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

sabertooth 990fx

i had to update my bios and it gave me 1866 selection.
          the board wont register 1866 it gives me 1449.
          and i have 2 8 gig sticks of sniper ram but the board only recognizes one.

Comment

Reset BIOS, enable DOCP/EOCP, see how that works. Swap the modules around to see if that makes a difference. Make sure the modules are installed in the same color slots furthest away from CPU.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sounds like the mobo or maybe the MC in the CPU is off, might try them at 1600, stock timings and see how they do

Tman

Comment

Reset BIOS, enable DOCP/EOCP, see how that works. Swap the modules around to see if that makes a difference. Make sure the modules are installed in the same color slots furthest away from CPU >>> done

now its 1600 not 1866
                and still only 8 gigs are posting

Comment

Could check the CPU for bent/broken pins and make sure no thermal compound got into the socket

Tman

Comment

no broken pins
                    i used the stock fan and no extra thermal past was applied

Comment

I'm leaning towards bad mobo or CPU, any chance of getting similar sticks and trying?

Tman

Comment

i set all the settings to extreme with the asus tweak utility and 16 gigs posted.
                        i set the ram to 1866 wouldnt start, 1800 started but i got blue screen.
                        1600 runs showing 16 gigs. i ran prime 95 for 20 mins no issues.

Comment

Could well be CPU couldn't handle the 1866 or higher

Tman

Comment

AMD fx 8150
                            i was just reading on AMD's web site the fx series doesn't support 1866 if the board has 4 slots for ram. only 1600.
                            1866 if the board had 2 ram slots
                            for the 16 gigs to register they need to be in the first two slots next to the processor . using the 2nd and 4th like the manual says only registers 8 gigs
                            thanks for your help
                            http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx
                            Last edited by Eviljohnny; 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Most of the 8150s and many of the 8120s along with 8350 can handle 2 sticks on a 4 slot mobo - some can even handle 4 sticks, but they are few and far between and often ttakes alot of experimentation with CPU, CPU/NB and DRAM voltages and sometimes the timings ......... a far cry from when the 8150 came out and they were advertising they FXs would run 1866 native (implying 4 sticks and up to 32GB)

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X