Purchasing Additional RAM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Additional RAM...

Sorry, this is one of those "I don't really know what I'm doing" posts.

CPU: i5 750
    MB: Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (2x 2GB, 1.6V, CL7-8-7-24, Dual Channel, 1600MHz XMP profile)

I've been toying around with buying some more RAM, since the MB supports 16GB and I've noticed that DDR3 seems to be surprisingly cheap. I don't really need it, 4GB is fine for what I do but the use of a RAM-Disk interests me, especially when used in combination with an SSD.

Anyway, I have the above components installed and was all set to jump on another 8GB (to total 12GB), eyeballing this set specifically: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x 4GB, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24-2N)

Moments before purchasing, I back out because I come to the realisation that I have no idea what I'm doing. A few things on my mind:

I've noticed that the potential new RAM specifically lists compatible chipsets, my P55 not being included. Is this because my chipset is older and therefore not worth testing or because anything not listed won't work at all? (Why?)

The voltage is lower compared to my current RAM. Can the voltage be independently controlled or would all need to be ramped to 1.6V? Is this an issue?

The latency is lower on my existing RAM. I have no idea about the real world effects of this. Should I be trying to purchase RAM with matching latency (or can each set be setup individually in the BIOS)? Will installing higher latency RAM result in my other existing DIMMS being throttled or held back effectively resulting in a negative performance gain? Is it worth me simply ditching the existing 4GB worth of RAM to purchase a matching 8-16GB set?

Sorry for all the questions. Clarification appreciated.

First I'll say that Anytime you mix sets, even of the same model, they can be problematic....but if you're going to try and mix it with your current DRAM would suggest a set that is as similar as possible to what you have 1600/CL7 or even a 1600/CL8....going with a CL9 set probably would be very troublesome to get get stable with the mixed sets.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X