X79 MB and which 32gb kit to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79 MB and which 32gb kit to get

I am putting together a new system to be used for video editting and gaming. I am planning on getting the ASUS x79 Sabertooth MB and want to know which is the fastest/best GSKILL memory kit to get.

I am looking at the following kits:
    1. Model F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL
    2. Model F3-17000CL11Q2-32GBZL
    3. Model F3-2133C9Q-32GTX

The Trident X (#3) is the most expensive but the I would pay if it is worth the difference of about $80 in price. Also, will it work in the X79 MB?

As for the MB, any comments about the Sabertooth... I was also looking at the Asus-pro and deluxe models.. I think that the Ramgape IV is overkill but would buy it if significantly better.... I will be doing just some minimal overclocking but mostly want stability and speed at stock +10-20% OC.

Thanks for your replies
    Z

I'd go with a straight 4x8GB set like the Tridents. Having 3 sticks vs 8 is less stress on the MC (Memory Controller)....As far as the mobos. I like the Pro model, but have been a bit leery of the Sabertooth since they only rate it up to 1866, where most of the X79s are rated to 2400 (or at least 2133.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for your responce.. I didn't notice stick number. I have been looking for 4 sticks only.. so I found these.. What is the difference between them (ie which should I buy in my x79 MB)

F3-2133C9Q-32GXH RipJaws-X vs
      F3-2133C9Q-32GTX Trident-X vs
      F3-2133C9Q-32GZH RipJaws-Z

Thanks,
      Z

Comment

Of these three, I'd go Ripjaws Z as number 1 since they were designed towards 2011/X79 and true quad channel, closely followed by the Tridents (optimized towards 3rd Gen/Ivy Bridge) and the RJs X (designed with 1155/Sandy Bridge in forefront) as number 3....All should work fine

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for your responses.. I have decided to go with the ripjaws z... What is your opinion on ASUS deluxe vs Pro models? At this point I will not be adding more than one graphics card (GTX680) and if I do, it won't be more than one more (ie never 3 cards let alone 4) but I do like the dual LAN ports of the deluxe. I don't think it is worth the extra $70 though.. what do you think? Also, what have you heard about the WS version? Thanks again.
          Z

Comment

All 3 are good mobos, a lot just depends on your plans and your budget. The dual LAN ports are nice, but I wouldn't place a $70 value on them. I tend to look for a mobo that meets my my needs and then apply more money elsewhere (RAM/CPU/GPU) which is where your overall performance comes from. Performance wise with a mobo overall they are pretty equal if running the same chipset/socket etc whether it's $140 mobo or a $240 mobo, it's how you tune it.

Tman

Comment

OK. thanks again.. I have decided on the asus pro.. one last question.. Newegg is out of stock on the Ripjaws Z 2133 32gb CL9.. How much slower is the 1600 version. Is it worth waiting for stock to refill on the 2133Mhz version, or should I just buy the Trident version -2133 CL9 which is still in stock. Or should I go for 8 sticks of the Z 2133 with lower latency?
              Z

Comment

Some say they can't really tell a difference between 2133 and 1600, but I know I can (though I work with a number of systems each day) and I pretty much try and go with the fastest that I can depending on the budge, if nothing else because they can always be downclocked and they might be a hedge towards future upgrades to mobo or CPU. Running Intel the upper end just keeps rising, 2800 is alreaady available and heading to 3200 is around the corner, so I'd go the Tridents at 2133. But that's just me...

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X