Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are two F3-2400C10Q-32GTX kits ok for an X79 mbd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are two F3-2400C10Q-32GTX kits ok for an X79 mbd?

Hello all!

I am building an i7 3930K system for a friend of mine, for use with After Effects; the
    motherboard will be an ASUS P9X79 WS.

The GSkill 32GB 2400MHz TridentX CL10 kit (code F3-2400C10Q-32GTX) is described
    as being for Z77, but would two of these kits work ok on an X79 board such as the above
    ASUS? Also, just out of curiosity, would this kit run at CL9 when operating at 2133MHz?

I had originally planned on getting the 32GB 2133MHz RipjawsX kit (F3-2133C9Q-32GXH),
    but supplies of this are far too low for reliable purchase. Hence, I wondered if the
    TridentX would be ok instead (better supply), and it would have more headroom anyway
    (2133MHz is plenty; I don't expect to run higher than that with an oc'd 3930K).

Oh, just one minor concern, I notice the DIMM height of the TridentX is 54mm vs. 40mm
    for the RipjawsX - could this be an issue? I intend to use is the Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

For reference, the rest of the system will be a Quadro 4000, 240GB SSD, 1000W PSU,
    LSI SAS RAID, etc.

Thanks!!

Ian.

PS. My own system is a 5GHz 2700K with 16GB GSKill RipjawsX; interesting to note the
    RAM was marketed as being aimed at Z77, but it works fine on my ASUS P67 (Maximus IV
    Extreme). For the X79 build though, I thought it wise to ask before spending 460 UKP.
    Last edited by mapesdhs; 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM.

Best to get all 64GB in a single set, that way the sticks are all tested to work together. Any time you mix sets, even of the same model it can be problematic, and the chance increases with the freq and the total amount of DRAM.

As far as the height of the Trident, the upper fins are removable if need be. And the Ripjaws X originally was designed for the 1155 socket, which originally was the P67/H67 then Z68 and now Z77

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman writes:
      > Best to get all 64GB in a single set, ...

Sadly not available here. Indeed, hardly anywhere sells the 32GB kits (from any brand), never
      mind 64s.

But other than that unlikely possibility, it should be ok, yes?

> ... Any time you mix sets, even of the same model it can be problematic, and the chance
      > increases with the freq and the total amount of DRAM.

Funny thing, this worked fine with my Maximus IV Extreme; I bought an initial 8GB kit before
      Z77 came out, bought the 2nd 8GB kit much later (the packaging had changed, now with Z77
      markings), but they worked ok together without a hitch. Indeed, I thought I'd have to redo the
      oc slightly, but I didn't have to change anything. 8) Maybe though this is more down to the
      quality of the Maximus.

> As far as the height of the Trident, the upper fins are removable if need be. ...

Yes, I noticed that in the specs; does it matter much re cooling? The CPU cooler is a Phanteks
      PH-TC14PE (better than the NH-D14), all in a HAF 932 case, so lots of big fans about the place.

> ... And the Ripjaws X originally was designed for the 1155 socket, which originally was the
      > P67/H67 then Z68 and now Z77

It's all DDR3 though; I doubt they're that different when used on one chipset vs. another.
      I recently upgraded a friend's S775 system (Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR) with an 8GB 1866
      RipjawsX kit, worked fine. 8)

Cheers!

Ian.
      Last edited by mapesdhs; 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Here's a link to the the dealers in the UK that carry GSkill, might find one that has 64GB sets or could order one for you:

http://www.gskill.com/reseller.php?c1=4&c2=50

And you can definitely try w/ 2 32GB sets, I prefer to warn people, because at times you can get two sets that just won't play nice, also since XMP is programmed by the package, with two sets you'll need to set up the advanced timings, voltages etc manually since the XMP settings that are there are for a 4 stick set as opposed to an 8 sticks set...

I've run my Tridents both w/ and without the fins attached and not big difference.

And your correct, DDR3 is DDR3, it may be oriented, programming wise a little more to a particular chipset, but I know I've used both the Ripjaws X and Z sets on multiple platforms as well as Trident and Snipers and no real problems

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman writes:
          > Here's a link to the the dealers in the UK that carry GSkill, might find one that has 64GB sets
          > or could order one for you:

Thanks! Interesting list, many of them tend to be sources that I find are often overpriced. Aria
          sometimes has decent prices, but their shipping costs are excessive. Usually I find memoryc is
          the best, but they don't offer the 64GB kit; speaking of which, I see from the GSkill product list
          that the only DDR3/2400 64GB kit produced is code F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD, but Googling
          gives no sources for this in the UK. There's a 2133MHz 64GB kit (F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD),
          but its latency is a tad high at that speed (CL11) and the only source for it (Amazon) carries a
          bit of a price premium compared to just getting two of the 32GB/2400 kits. So, looks like the
          latter is the best idea.

> ... you'll need to set up the advanced timings, voltages etc manually since the XMP settings
          > that are there are for a 4 stick set as opposed to an 8 sticks set...

No problem there, I normally do that anyway, since using XMP often messes up other things
          when oc'ing.

> I've run my Tridents both w/ and without the fins attached and not big difference.

Cool. To coin a phrase.

Ok, thanks for all the info!! 8)

Ian.

Comment

No problem, let us know how it goes!

Tman

Comment

Ok, will do! 8)

I've just confirmed the mbd order, am about to order the RAM...

Ian.

Comment

We'll be waiting to hear.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X