X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16GB on a M4A79T Deluxe, so confused

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
    Motherboard: Asus M4A79T Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black (3.2GHz)
    Video: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked (896 GDDR3)

I am currently running 4GB of OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), I found this ram on the GSKILL website that says it is supported by my motherboard which are DDR3-1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9D-16GBX , that would get me up to 16GB, however I also found these which are DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-1600C9D-16GXM but does not say it is supported by my motherboard, however they seem to have a bit better stats.

My main question is, would either of these work for my motherboard without any easily foreseen issues? I have been trying to max out at 16GB for a while now, but haven't really had the extra cash to spend. I just want to make sure that what I buy, is going to work without issues as money is rather tight at the moment, but I really need to increase my ram. Am I going to see any difference between the two? Or would I just be better off getting the DDR3-1333 (PC3 10666) version for $20 cheaper?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, I did search the forums and came up with answers CLOSE to this, but none really specific enough that I felt comfortable taking the plunge without asking first.

Prob best to try the 1333, not many 955s can pull 1600 (most have problems even w/ 8GB of 1600 let alone 16GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok that's what I was thinking, but, after doing some "ram research" ram buying seemed much more complicated than I remember, so I wanted to ask knowledgable people before I did something stupid

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Will do, thank you so much for the quick response, I'm trying to keep this poor thing as up to date as possible before I wind up having to just replace every thing, I figure after the ram, getting a newer video card will keep it at least above water for maybe another year, until I can afford to replace the motherboard and chip ... PC gaming on a budget is a pain sometimes, lol

Comment

Most definitely is, there's generally someone around here, so keep in touch

Tman

Comment

One last question before I attempt to order my ram, is there any difference in ordering 2 x 8GB sticks or 4 x 4GB sticks? Would one perform better than the other?

Comment

Same, though with 4 x 4 GB you can usually find better timing memory.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok, last question then ... all I have found in timing is 9-9-9-24, except one which was 9-9-9-24-2N ... which of these would yield more performance? I apologize for my lack of understanding of ram recently, this is a bit embarassing for someone who has built their own PC's for almost 15 years now.

I am still leaning towards the 2x8GB for the simple fact that less sticks, means less chance for getting a dead stick (granted RMA wouldn't be an issue with such great service as a lifetime warrenty), however, Newegg at the moment is sold out of the 2x8GB (for $69.99, plus a $12 rebate as of the moment, which could explain for being sold out), so that's why I was curious about the 4x4GB or the 2x8GB as they still have 4x4GB in stock

Comment

They are the same thing. The last value is Command Rate or Command Timing, all modules are rated for 2T, but you can try 1T to see if it can work. If so, the memory should perform slightly quicker.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok last question I promise, so I ordered my ram (the 2x8GB, newegg got them back in stock), on the M4A79T Deluxe, it had four ram slots, two yellow and two black, does it make a difference which they are out into? If memory serves me correctly with two sticks I want to make sure they are in matching color slots, but I was curious if there was any performance difference between the yellow or black slots

Comment

Believe on your mobo 1-3 (1 being closest to the CPU) are the yellow ones, would start there

Tman

Comment

Thanks again Tradesman, will be sure to update soon as they come in

Comment

We'll be waiting to hear

Tman

Comment

Ram came in yesterday, didn't have a chance to try it out until 5am this morning (10/26) spent most of the day just toying around with games and photoshop/lightroom just to test it out, make sure it could handle the load. So far I could not be more impressed, brought my frame rate in game up, photoshop loads and renders so quick, I am very very pleased, thank you guys for all the help
                              Last edited by Csonkitas; 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM. Reason: Cause I'm a moron and looked at todays date

Comment

Working...
                              X