Wanting to get the right memory for GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to get the right memory for GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4

This build is for AMD trinity A-5800k. I am thinking about adding 32gb of F3-1866C9Q-32GXM,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231616

Since this Gigabyte can use AMD Memory Profiles, I was thinking about enable it so that I can use the max speed allowed and not the 1600. Is this memory compatitible with this Gagabyte board and can it use AMP?
    Thanks.
    Eddy
    PS if you have another suggestions as to another set of memory I should get, please let me know.

I haven't yet played with one of the 5800s, but have doubts it can carry 32GB of 1866....Most of the high end FX-8150s have a lot of trouble doing that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Do you know which memory is capable of using AMD's AMP if used with GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4? AMP is auppose to be similar to Intel's XMP.

Comment

I think that's specific to AMD brand DRAM (made by Patriot and VisionTek), but not positive, will drop GKill Tech a line

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Forget 32gb. With 32 gb I can only run at 1600mhz according to AMD's tech support. I am now thinking 16gb (2-8gb sticks) running at 1866mhz. can you recommend something that will work with gigabyte's GA-F2A85X-UP4 motherboard? again it is for a A-5800K built.
          thanks

Comment

The Snipers would be my first choice, F3-1866C10D-16GSR, they run with about anything and OC well if your APU can carry a higher freq, can find them here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231611

Tman

Comment

32GB you can do DDR3-1866, you just need to boost the memory controller voltage. It is no different from the previous generations, once you surpass AMDs memory limitations, you can always raise CPU-NB Voltage to stabilize a higher DRAM frequency or greater capacity such as 32GB.

The memory can work with the performance profile, you just need to boost the memory controller voltage.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Got here as fast as I could. Some quick specs on my setup:

RAM
                G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX

CPU
                AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz

MB
                ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 FM2 AMD A85X

First off, if you haven't bought that Gigabyte board, don't. A quick comparison to this ASRock board will point out its deficiencies.

Second, for this APU, buy the fastest RAM you can afford. The performance (especially the GPU performance) scales DIRECTLY with memory clock rate. I'm running this RAM at 1.65V (spec) and as we speak I'm at DDR-2133. All other motherboard voltages and settings are STOCK. I have also clocked the GPU core above 1GHz at these RAM speeds without touching any voltages. The combined results make for a much faster GPU (think 30-50% performance increase).

The motherboard and RAM speed capacities are rated at DDR-2600 and DDR-2400, respectively, so my mobo should certainly handle it. The only thing holding me back from running the board/RAM at DDR-2400 is figuring out how high I can safely set the CPU NB voltage (controls voltage to the memory controller and GPU). Stock voltage (1.175V) won't POST. I have set it as high as 1.2V and reached Windows logon screen, but I'm hesitant to raise it any higher without some definitive results from a stable, overclocked, online review. I have seen one set above 1.3V that was stable for 24H.

tl;dr
                1. Buy motherboard that supports 2400 or 2600 speed
                2. Buy RAM that supports 2400 or 2600 speed
                3. Overclock to 2400, adjust voltage and latencies
                4. Enjoy up to 50% more performance from your games

Good luck on your budget powerhouse!

Comment

Invisiblegorilla,
                  One reason that ASRock didn't make it to my short list is the shared memory. The maximum shared memory allowed is 512 mb according to the manual. I also have considered ASUS F2A85-V Pro in my short list. Could you give me your reason as to why Gigabyte is inferior to ASRock in A85x motherboard? I agree with you about the memory. For some reason newegg has trident X 2400 listed $10 cheaper than the 2133.

Comment

Watchman,
                    You're totally correct about the shared memory; I was wondering why I could only select 512MB in the BIOS! Oh well. Hopefully a BIOS update changes that in the future... In the meantime, I'll try not to use huge textures in my games

I guess the only other differences are the RAM speed and audio chipset. Both boards use digital power conversion and solid caps, and I'm sure the quality is comparable. The ASUS looks great, but a little high in price (it also lacks RAID 5, if that's your thing).

This new platform is pretty exciting, and there are more products to come (including the next FM2 socket CPU, MINE!). Just remember that the GPU shares main memory (as you pointed out), and faster RAM = higher FPS every time.
                    Last edited by invisiblegorilla; 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: repetitive grammar

Comment

I just found this article, it seems the F2A85X-UP4 can indeed run 2133, and even 2800
                      http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=718761

And ASRock released a BIOS update on 10/25 that opens up the GPU shared memory window to 2GB! Early Christmas!
                      Last edited by invisiblegorilla; 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                      X