BSOD with just mem change from sniper 8gb to sniper 16gb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD with just mem change from sniper 8gb to sniper 16gb

I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme6 BIOS ver 2.1 that had 8 gigs of skill sniper. I set the bios per normal to xmp profile X, DDR-1600 and DRAM voltage 1.5 and overclocked my i5-2500k to 40 on multiplier with corsair a70 at stock voltage.

I decided to upgrade to 16 gig a bios reset and choose the xmp profile and the system update to 9,9,9,24 as it should have but blue screens all the time. I am now running fine on Auto and DDR-1333 and the memtest quick test showed fine. I could do a more exhaustive test and do them in singles. Just wondered if there are problems with this chip and anything else I can do?

All other voltages are on auto except DRAM.

First, when you say upgrade, am assuming you added a second set of 8GB of the same model of DRAM? If so, while the two sets of DRAM may be the same model, you are still 'mixing' sets, which can be problematic and XMP is programmed to run by the set, not with multiple sets, so the advanced/secondary timings are prob off, i.e. it takes a much higher tGRC to run 4 sticks than it does two. Would suggest ensuring you have the latest BIOS, Clear CMOS, disable XMP so you are in AUTO or Manual setup, make sure the base timings are correct and then try. If problems raise DRAM voltage + 0.05 from current and raise the MC (Memory Controller) voltage to about 1.15, believe it's CPUVTT on your mobo or may just be VTT

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I should have been more descriptive. I removed the 8g gig set completely. Did a bios reset with the 16 gig set in there. The went into the BIOS chose the XMP profile, set the voltage to 1.5 and set to ddr-1600. The machine is not stable unless I set the memory to auto instead of XMP profile as well as DDR-1333 is fine. This is a brand new set and replaced ones that were working perfectly.

BIOS is latest, cleared was done several times. I also left it at auto set the bios to 9,9,9,24 and 2t then bios to DDR-1600 and it crashes all the time as well.

Comment

Is this a 2x8GB set or a 4x4GB set os the Snipers...Actually what 16GB set do you have? First thoughts are either or the BIOS isn't adjusting the MC (Memory Controller voltage) so might try the CPUVTT (or just VTT) at about 1.15...if still problems can you post the BIOS settings for voltages and advanced/secondary timings, may be the tRFC or one of those other timings isn't set right.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Here is the model number that came out.

F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Here is the model what went in.

F3-1600C9D-16GSR

This is a 2 x 8gb kit and I put them in the same slots I removed the old ones from. The other ones are in my HTPC and when/if I return these. I am wondering if I need to do the long memtest and see if one is bad.

Comment

Try raising the VTT as suggested, with 8GB sticks the BIOS may not be ready (seems like all the mobo makers are having problems getting BIOSs up to date. Also check your advanced/secondary timings, believe you'll want tRFC at about 170-171... If you go to run Memtest, suggest each stick by itself - maybe 4-5 passes should give good indication if good or bad

Tman

Comment

I upped VTT to 1.15 volts. Not sure if I am stable yet but it seems better already. Can we upload screenshots to this forum? I have them if you would like to see. Sorry for the crappy responses earlier I was trying to cut in a few new T1s for a client and away from my PC.
              Last edited by Junfan; 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

No problem, been there, done that, I know how that goes. Believe most post the images to a site and then add links to their thread - could just post voltages (vCore, VTT, VCCSA and DRAM) along with base DRAM timings and prob tRFC from the advanced/secondary timings - if it's off I can prob guess the other timings I think are off

Tman

Comment

The VTT is now 1.15 in asrock utility to verify. The dram voltage is 1.5. The machine has been stable for the longest by hours now.

However the XMP-1600 show the following.

cas# 9
                  ras to cas# 9
                  rad# precharge 9
                  tras 25
                  trc 33
                  2t

I think we are on to something since the mem shows 9,9,9,24 yet xmp profile is diff. Do I have it fixed with the increase VTT?

Comment

Looks good as long as it stays stable, if something were to come up I'd raise the DRAM voltage + 0.03, the BIOS still isn't prime time but the difference between the 24 and 25 timing is negligible

Tman

Comment

Well, the machine is still not stable and I upped the dram voltage to 1.53 and the VTT is running 1.15.

I did mem test and the chips are fine so I am not sure what to do at this point.

Comment

Can you post the advanced/secondary timings

Tman

Comment

You can also try manual settings to see how that works. Some of the timings may be slightly off.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Here are the pics

Comment

Manually set 9-9-9-24.

tWR 12
                              tRRD 5
                              tWTR 6
                              tRTP 6

the rest AUTO, try that and see how it works.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X