have i bought the right memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have i bought the right memory

Hello to all, firstly i have already purchased a new Asus Sabertooth Z77 E7338 Rev 3 edition motherboard, awaiting the i7 3770k processor and after much reading I decided on the Ripjaws X F3-14900CL 10D-16GBXL (due to price and looks- which i know is wrong) I have 4 x sticks of 8GB and have not yet opened the packaging. I am a video editor and have built my own PC's several times but it can be very overwhelming with all the latency, mhz and all other data you need to understand. My question is this will my RAM work ok with my new setup or will I have to manually configure voltages etc to get it working correctly.

You say 4 sticks which with that model # would be 2 packages, and since XMP programming is by the package, you will probably have to set up manually as XMP won't work correctly and 1866 is too fast for just trying to let AUTO do it. Any time you go with two sets, it can be problematic....Can either exchange and get a 32GB set or when you get the CPU, give a shout and we can prob get them to play nice.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thx, not what i wanted to hear but I am not surprised. Is it because they need to be matched pairs etc. The serial numbers end with 33 - 34 for one package, and 37 - 38 with the other. You say a 32GB package will that be 4 x 8GB but in one single packet. What would you use in the Asus Sabertooth if it were you ?

Comment

More options

F3-1866C10Q-32GXL seems to be more correct and should be easier to get working correctly.
        Last edited by dymmy; 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM. Reason: incorrect

Comment

To be honest, I can generally work with sticks either way, in part because I've been building back since the earliest PCs and work with DRAM day in and day out so I have a good idea of how to set up all the advanced timings, voltages, etc....but for most people it's easier and better to get a single set, that way, if the mobo BIOS is ready to go, you just install, enable XMP and select the profile for the freq you want to run, in your case, with two sets, you'd have to set the CPU multiplier, vCore voltage, base and advanced timings, DRAM voltage MC (memory controller) voltage etc, and also hope that the tow sets you have are willing to play together (in your case, probably so), since they are prob off the same production run.....and I think hopping a plane to the UK to help out is sort of out of the question

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ah that all makes sense to me thanks. I am now sure I want to return and replace the RAM with a set of 4
            The offer to fly over is very kind also but I only have a sofa don't worry I will fix it with your great advice. Seriously ,thank you very much.

Comment

If you'll pick up the ticket, could be over shortly could start w/ a couple Black and Tans! (preferably cold)

Tman

Comment

ok i have returned the RAM i had and exchanged it for a 4 x stick set. Lets see what happens when it arrives. The PSU arrived so did the processor and MB. Just waiting for the case and the SSD now. Thank goodness for amazon and their returns policy and of course this forum

Comment

Let us know how it goes, any problems, we're here

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X