Am I killing my RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I killing my RAM?

I sent some RAM for RMA a few months ago, got another stick back recently (same design stick just a different XMPP profile I think) and it works nicely with the other one. But the day before I received my new stick ANOTHER stick died! It came in a separate kit than the one I sent out, manufactured a bit earlier I suppose. Is it normal for multiple sticks to fail? Is my motherboard killing my RAM somehow?

I'm running all the sticks at their designed specs (7-10-7-27-1N @ 2133 MHz @ 1.66V), they're very stable with my uncore at 3800 MHz on my 980X (lowering uncore below that does however make the RAM somewhat unstable), but...my QPI/VTT is all the way up at 1.5V to create stability as well. I can't seem to get it below 1.46V before the board posts with RAM missing, etc. So it's quite high (I think). Could this high QPI/VTT be creating some kind of damaging effect on the motherboard that damages the RAM?

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Oh and also, when the stick started failing, it would cause the other stick in the same channel to not show up (as well as itself). When I used only 3 sticks of RAM in the first slot of each channel and one of them was this failing stick, it would post with all sticks showing full capacity but the failing stick would be very unstable and cause BSODs. If I only used the one bad stick by itself it would still post but not make it past the windows loading screen. After a few days like this, the stick just wouldn't work at all.
    Anyone know the reasoning behind a stick failing like this?
    Last edited by Jehk; 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM.

Might be from a bad slot, or mobo/PSU not regulating the voltage correctly.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X