Cold boot BSOD's. Pissing me off since 2010. Very Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold boot BSOD's. Pissing me off since 2010. Very Interesting

Well, Im gonna try to make this as short as possible (I've already got another thread here, but that didn't go anywhere):

In 2010 I decided together with my father to build a new machine. We did so and we built a new machine composed of:
    -H55M USB3 Gigabyte.
    -I5 750 2.6Ghz
    -HD 5850 XXX edition 750/1150
    -2x2 OCZ Gold 1066mhz 8-8-8-20 1.65v
    -An old hard drive.

It turned out that the hard drive we used as a "frankestein" part was faulty (My mother a couple of years before dropped it from a tall height while searching from something in the upper closet, so it was FUBAR) and we bought a WD 500gb Black (I still use it, its 100% fine).

Later, we discovered RAM sticks were faulty, we RMA'd it and we got another pair of sticks....which were totally different one from another and one was incompatible with my mother, so we decided to get a pair of GSKILLS: 1333mhz 2x2gb 9-9-9-24 1.5v.

So, things would be like this:
    -H55M USB3 Gigabyte.
    -I5 750 2.6Ghz
    -HD 5850 XXX edition 750/1150
    -2x2gb GSKILL 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v
    -WD 500 Black.

NOW, THE ISSUE WHICH HAS BEEN HAUNTING ME SINCE LATE 2010:

Everytime I leave the machine turned off for more than 7-8 hours and then turn it back, I get BSODS after Windows Loads or directly it won't load and restarts. After a couple (3-4) restarts and some 20 minutes wasted, everything starts working like a charm.

But wait, IF everything works like a charm, why are you complaining?
    Because it makes Windows files go FUBAR. As of now, third day using a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 64b install, sound is gone. And besides, sometimes I have to check something in a hurry only to waste 20 minutes

Have you checked and tested the hardware? Overclock? Stability
    Hell yeah. OCCT, Furmark, P95, Everest, MEMTEST, I've tested them all and passed them all. Of course, after having all those ugly BSODS.
    The computer is stable, of course, if it were unstable, then, It wouldnt start running like a charm after BSOD's. Though, I underclocked the HD 5850 to "standard" settings and everything else is stock

Software, maybe?
    Nop, verifier.exe after it starts running like a charm for 5 hours straight and not a single BSOD. Plus, again, if it was faulty software, then, it would have to BSOD all the time. Not just for 20 minutes after cold boot, you get what I mean?

So, what are you suggesting?
    As per google search, seen it these threads:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=360088&mpage=1
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=276124&mpage=1
    Would it be wise to raise that thing "VTT" in my motherboard?

I've also got the theory that it might have something to do with a faulty motherboard.

I hope you can throw some light in here and help me.

EDIT:Checked my other thread and saw that a guy...suggested the same thing seen in those links. Problem is, I fear that I might screw up everything. I'll take a photo of the BIOS with my cellphone so you can see my settings and guide me.

EDIT2:Im uploading them to a host...
    Just copy paste the link, clicking on them doesn't work.
    http://k35.kn3.net/E54F0BF34.jpg
    http://k43.kn3.net/46B9BC480.jpg
    http://k37.kn3.net/968F57F4E.jpg
    http://k43.kn3.net/EDFAEBF53.jpg
    Last edited by Manacla_AR; 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM.

Yes you can try raising the QPI/VTT which handles the MC (Memory Controller) and/or the DRAM, sort of sounding like a mobo and/or CPU issue,,,,have you tried pulling the CPU and checking for anything in the socket (thermal compound, dust, etc?) also check for bent/broken pins

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright then, by how much should I raise the values? There you have my BIOS setup to guide me. Last image.
      And yes, I've checked everything inside the case. Pins seemed to be all straight and well aligned.

Huge EDIT: LOL, silly me. I can't believe, that the solution I am seeking here...was already tried a couple of months ago by me. I've must got bad memory (no pun intended :P ) Well, I'll try this time to upper the VTT values as you said before (you helped me in the other thread).
      If that doesn't work, I'll have to send the RAM via Correo Argentino.

EDIT 2: upped the voltage (or well, selected that option) to 1.56v and the VTT to 1.15.
      In a hypothetical case of having again BSODS, should I up the values again? Or just RMA the RAM and wait?
      Last edited by Manacla_AR; 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Can safely go 1.6 on DRAM and 1.2 is reasonable for QPI/VTT, if no joy, let me know and I'll drop GSkill Tech a note and see if he can take a look Thur (hopefully in the morning here)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks! Will come in handy.
          And last question, for RMA, I just have to send my blister/RAM package (plus the pair of sticks of course)?

Comment

That and they'll have a form you add to it, can contact rma@gskillusa.com or rma@gskill.com

Tman

Comment

Ok, last night I left the voltage at 1.55v and the VTT at 1.15. It BSOD again this morning. So, right now, I have the voltage a 1.6v and the VTT at 1.19, it's the limit. It all comes down to this afternoon after I come back from school (I'll leave for 5-6 hours). If it BSODs then I'll do the RMA.

One last thing, one BSOD I got with the values upped, was different from all the others in the sense that it didn't restart...

Comment

Did you get the BSOD code by chance?

Tman

Comment

Couldn't remember it. Although, the header was SERVICE_EXCEPTION or sth like that.
                  I've got the dumps if it serves you.
                  Last edited by Manacla_AR; 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

No not really, was just wonding if maybe the code pointed towards something else, if you can post your base and advanced timings for the DRAM I'll take a look and see if anything loosks really out of whack, also system voltages

Tman

Comment

Well, I turned it on after 5 hours....and no bsod and everything is working fine as for now !

So, the final test will be tomorrow, after leaving it turned off during the night...

I hope it doesn't BSOD again tomorrow.

Im like so hyped up man. Im happy at the prospect of having my PC running error-free for the first time in 2 years

Comment

Hopefully all will stay well (fingers crossed) and you'll have found a new source for help and info - Let us know how it goes!

Tman

Comment

Scheisse! No luck
                          Started it after 8 hours (8am-16pm) and Windows Repair came up saying it couldn't initiate WIndows. Then, after restarting the PC, I had a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT STOP: 0x00000001a BSOD.
                          One more restart and it works fine.

Comment

Might have gotten a corrupt file some where along the way - might try running System File Check

Go to START, ACCESSORIES, then right click on COMMAND PROMPT, select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, in the DOS box that opens up type SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X