F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL in Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R cant get XMP speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL in Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R cant get XMP speeds

I have just put two of these 8Gb kits in my Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R. My BIOS is 14b, the latest.

(I got these sticks to upgrade from F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH which my supplier doesn't stock any more - I have a future Z77X in mind)

My CPU is a Core i5 750.

I would like to run them at the best speed I can (without anything beyond mild overclocking, I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink/fan).

For the time being, I can only get my system to boot if they fall back to non-XMP speeds. There, they seem stable and happy.

I would hope, though, that I should be able to run them at their declared 2133 11-11-11-30?

My bios proposes XMP profile1 and profile2:

XMP Disabled: CPU 17x 2.72GHz, BCLK 160, Mem Freq 1600, DDR Volt 1.5, QPI 1.10,
    CAS 11, tRCD 11, tRP 11, tRAS 28

XMP profile1: CPU 14x 2.80Ghz, BCLK 200, Mem Freq 2000, DDR Volt 1.6, QPI 1.05,
    CAS 11, tRCD 10, tRP 10, tRAS 28

XMP profile2: CPU 13x 2.76Ghz, BCLK 213, Mem Freq 2130, DDR Volt 1.6, QPI 1.05,
    CAS 11, tRCD 11, tRP 11, tRAS 30

As I said, at the moment I can only get a stable boot out of XMP Disabled. Both XMP profiles seem to give several failed reboot attempts before falling back to a 1333 'overclock failed' timing.

I've searched these forums and elsewhere, and I suspect the answer lies in manually setting the right timings/volatages, but I am somewhat out of my depth with the complexities of RAM timings, so would be very greatful for any help

Cheers

Charlie

First, do you have the latest BIOS? With two sets (even if the same model) it can be problematic. Xmp won't properly work with two sets, the programming of the SPD is made to an individual packaged set, which is by the number of sticks in the package. Also to run anything over 1600 will probably require an OC, If to run 2133, would start at 3.9-4.0, for 1866 I'd look to 3.8 or so. Might try w/ XMP off, set either to AUTO or MANUAL, CPU multiplier to 4.1, DRAM freq at 2133, load the base/primary timings, CR (Command Rate) to 2T or 2N, and start w/ DRAM voltage at 1.6. Might also need to raise the MC voltage + 0.10

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Tradesman... you seem to be an unstoppable customer support machine!

I'm a little confused by some of your numbers, and how to set them.

I have an Award BIOS, and it's flashed to Gigabyte's latest for this board, version 14b

When you talk about 'to run at 2133, would start at 3.9-4.0' do you mean cpu Ghz? That would seem just a tad high for a chip that is stock at 2.66Ghz

CPU multiplier to 4.1 - I would normally understand CPU multiplier to be the clock ratio, which I can set in the range 9x to 21x.

DRAM Frequency I can set by the BCLK and SPD, so for example I set BCLK to 200 and SPD to 10 get a memory frequency of 2000 (and with a cpu multiplier of 15x, a core CPU of 3.0Ghz) - is that what you mean by DRAM frequency?

I set XMP off and manually set the 11-11-11-30 timings

Command Rate I can set between 0 and 3, no T or N. I set 2

DRAM Voltage, no problem, I've set that to 1.6 I can't find MC voltage anywhere.

Thanks again for any more assistance

Cheers

Charlie

Comment

Meant 2.9 - 3.0 on CPU to start, had two different threads up, was finding timings, et al on a 1155/3770K also, sorry about that, the MC voltage is identified as QPI/VTT on your mobo I believe

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Meant 2.9 - 3.0 on CPU to start, had two different threads up, was finding timings, et al on a 1155/3770K also, sorry about that, the MC voltage is identified as QPI/VTT on your mobo I believe
          I'm sure that if we humans were meant to multitask, we'd have evolved hyperthreaded quad-core brains

Found the QIP/VTT voltage, thanks. Just to be clear, you mean 2.9-3.0Ghz cpu clock?

Cheers

Charlie

Comment

Yes, again sorry bout that. Normally it's fairly easy easy, but we have a few threads going here that should be simple plug and play, and am trying to figure what all could be the specific problems....Let me know how it goes with the QPI/VTT increase

Tman

Comment

Not managed to get a boot at 2133 yet, but I'm now up and running at 2000 which is fine for the time being (a shiny new Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H is on order, with an i5 3570)

By fiddling around, the best I've come up with is 2000, with the CPU at 3Ghz - I've not stress tested it, other than by playing Torchlight II for a while, instead of actually working

In case it helps anyone else, the settings I have at the moment are:
              CPU Fq 15x, BCLK 200, 11-11-11-28, CMD 2, DRAMv 1.5v, QPI/Vtt 1.1

Thanks Tradesman!

Cheers!

Charlie

Comment

Can try the QPI/VTT a bit higher, might be the nudge you need (say 1.16 - 1.18 for a try)

Tman

Comment

Changing the QPI/VTT hasn't helped, nor has pushing the DRAM voltage up to 1.6v in increments.

Having said that, I'm happy with 2000: for my purposes, the 16Gb RAM running at reasonable speed is good for what I want.

When my new Z77 board arrives in a day or so, I'll be able to use the full speed.

Thanks again for your help Tradesman... I'll leave a comment in your thread shortly.

Cheers

Charlie

Comment

Keep us updated, we'll be looking for you

Tman

Comment

Just a quick update:

My new Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H arrived today. Popped these modules in and selected XMP profile2 and everything worked perfectly first time

2133 11-11-11-30

i5-3570 @3.8Ghz

Again, thanks for the help earlier.

Comment

No problem, glad to hear all is well

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X