Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Memory Options - Asus Crosshair V Formula

Greetings,

I finally got around to building a new box and I have decided to change from my usual Corsair memory to give G. Skill a try. The prices seem better, and the product has strong support.

Anyway, I am looking for the best performance, price, and compatibility option for the Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard (not the Z variation) The CPU will be one of the 8-core FX CPUS (likely fx 8120).

I'd appreciate it a great deal if you'd give me your best memory recommendation for 8gb and 16gb configurations. :-)

Thank you, and please advise.

-Lord NMB
    Last edited by lordnmb; 10-02-2012, 03:51 AM.

For 8 GB, I'd go 2x4GB 1866 or could step up and try a 2133/CL9 set. For 16GB, I'd look to 2x8GB either 1600 or 1866. Both the 8120 and 8150 are rated UP TO 1866 with 1 stick per channel, but have seen numerous instances where the 8120 had trouble with 1866 - especially at 4 sticks. With a two stick set there is less strain on the MC (Memory Controller)....regardless of going 2x4GB or 2x8GB, I'd look first to the Sniper sets, followed closely by Ripjaws X or Ares with an AMD rig

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      For 8 GB, I'd go 2x4GB 1866 or could step up and try a 2133/CL9 set. For 16GB, I'd look to 2x8GB either 1600 or 1866. Both the 8120 and 8150 are rated UP TO 1866 with 1 stick per channel, but have seen numerous instances where the 8120 had trouble with 1866 - especially at 4 sticks. With a two stick set there is less strain on the MC (Memory Controller)....regardless of going 2x4GB or 2x8GB, I'd look first to the Sniper sets, followed closely by Ripjaws X or Ares with an AMD rig
      Thanks for the information! I'll post a follow up once I've given it a try!

Comment

We'll be here waiting to hear.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I decided to go with a pair of 1866 8GB Snipers. I'll let you know how it goes once I receive and install them. Thanks again!

Comment

Be looking forward to it, think you'll be happy with them!

Tman

Comment

I'm in the same boat as this guy. Ive read many reviews on your memory and how a lot of people are happy with its performance and price.
              I have the ASUS crosshair formula-z, with the AMD FX-8150. It holds 32gb which I want to fill up.
              Your compatibility only had the crosshair v formula. It takes DDR3 2400, from some of the things Ive read, my AMD processor might not be compatible with your memory.
              I was wondering what you would recommend.
              Thank you

Comment

The FX-8150 is rated UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL, and that's with the CPU OCed. To try and run 32GB, I'd suggest maybe 1600....AMD doesn't have very strong MCs (memory controllers)....To run 2400 (especially 32GB) normally takes a min of a 3rd Gen Intel 3570K OCed.

Tman

Comment

So I should be ok OC my CPU using your Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600?

Comment

If your particular CPU can carry it....most 8150 can, with those that can't, can drop the sticks to 1333 and tighten the timings and have near same as 1600 performance....can't say a positive yes or no as some CPUs are better than others, most I've seen have been able to carry 32GB at 1600, but then again many can't...the 8120 is even more so, with that I'd suggest starting w/ 1333

Tman

Comment

I went with the sniper series. 2x8gb 1866 memory. Initially I couldn't get the memory to run at the right speed, even after changing the timings. I moved the two chips to the red slots and manually entered the timings again and then absolutely no problems. 16gb at 1866mhz. Smooth sailing! Thanks!
                      Last edited by lordnmb; 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM. Reason: added information

Comment

Glad to hear all is well, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X