MSI 785GM-E51 motherboard, F3-1066CL9Q-16GBXL Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI 785GM-E51 motherboard, F3-1066CL9Q-16GBXL Problems

Hi, I'm trying to install Ripjaw F3-1066CL9Q-16GBXL memory in my MSI 785GM-E51 motherboard. Not sure if this can work together or what. But from what I have been reading I need to just configure the timings right. I try to do what is being said. I tried:
    1. Restarting computer, going to bios
    2. Set CPU Host/bus Frequency to 240
    3. set timings to tcl 9-tRCD 9= tRP9-tRAS 24(although before I could do i had to hit enter and I just chose both instead of DOc( I might not remember this right) 1 or two, not sure if this has something to do with this, first time having to change memory timings.)
    4. DRAM Voltage to 1.50v
    Gave the CPU-NB voltage a +.10 boost, although not sure if this was necessary, just was following a different post from another thread.

But my computer will not even boot to the motherboard splash screen when I power on. Like the monitor will not even turn over. So I can't change anything when I have the new ram in. I tried to just do one chip at a time. Not sure what to do...any help would be awesome, changing all this is pretty new to me, so hard to know what is going on. Think I will have to read more about this maybe it will help me no more of what is going on.

You may have to pull out the RAM and put your old RAM back in to get it going again. Then load up the BIOS defaults and try the new RAM again. The motherboard should automatically recognise the 1333 and apply basic timings for you.
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
    Corsair HX850
    Antec 900
    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, may want to start with DRAM voltage at 1.57 and also raise CPU/NB voltage up about + 0.12 from current to try, what CPU are you running?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I should have probably explained that I did try and just put the ram in at first and fire up the computer before looking into timing options. But I gave your suggestion a try again anyways, reset to default settings, then put in the new ram. It didn't work but was really hoping. Any other ideas?

Sorry just seen your comment, I am running a AMD Athlon 2 x4 630 processor. but get nervous messing with the stuff, don't want to hurt nothing. But will try your suggestions and report back.
        Last edited by TechBud; 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

We'll be waiting to hear

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright pretty sure my BIOS is up to date, in bios the version is v2.12 02182011, but at the MSI website the latest version is 2.C with a release date of 02-18-2011, so assuming that 02182011 stands for the release date in the version number. But there is a chip set update that I'm installing now, not sure if this will make a difference. But will increase the voltage as soon as the chip set update is done completing

Comment

Fingers crossed that the BIOS update helps....Do you have another computer that you can test the RAM in, just to rule out that you don't have a bad stick? It seems strange that default setting won't boot for you with this new RAM.
              AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
              Noctua NH-U9B SE2
              Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
              Corsair HX850
              Antec 900
              Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

I have other computers but nothing that the RAM will work in, would be nice though.

Comment

Bugger! it would have been nice to rule out the bad sticks...it worries me that you cant boot with them even with BIOS defaulted.
                  AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                  Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                  Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                  Corsair HX850
                  Antec 900
                  Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

and how about a single stick? if one boots in slot 1 but not the other might be a bad one, if neither does, then prob mobo or CPU, if both will boot can run Memtest on each (4-5 passes should do for testing)

Tman

Comment

alright looks like two sticks are good two are bad. Will run memtest to see if there is a problem going on here. But disappointing that only have 8 gigs, but yet its still double what I was working with! lol Thanks for the help, now to figure out how to return the bad sticks that I have......

Comment

An unfortunate BINGO, but at least that clears up the primary reason for your problems. I guess it is time to head over to the RMA threads for a skim...in some ways it is reassuring that your motherboard/CPU are not to blame.

Also, I wouldn't be shy of contacting the retailer and seeing if they will swap out the whole set for you (if they are willing, it will get you going again a lot faster)
                        AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                        Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                        Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                        Corsair HX850
                        Antec 900
                        Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

As Aim54X suggests you re/e-tailer would prob be best (and it's best if you RMA to do the whole set to get a set back that is tested for all sticks to work together, else will want to contact rma@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X