No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL: some questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL: some questions...

Hi to everybody, this is my first thread in this forum.
    Just some little questions about strange behaviour occurred to my pc:

Asus P9x79-PRO
    Cpu i7-3820
    Ram F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (one quad channel kit 8GBx4)
    PSU Seasonic X-660

Assembled pc about 2 months ago, bios version 1104 and 32GB seen in bios and OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64; gone through bioses version and no problem, actually version 2104.
    About one week ago i see only 28 of 32 GB in bios and os; tried previous bios version 2002, checked ram in every slot (blue and black) but only one module and always the same (checked by serial) is only seen as 4GB and bios reported it as abnormal.
    Can i assume that is a faulty ddr module and start an rma procedure?
    But the tricky question is: can i buy another F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL kit and get working both kit together (motherboard support up to 64gb of ram)?
    Or is a better choiche buying F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL for example?

Thanks to everyone and please forgive my bad english.. .

For the RMA will want to contact rma@gskill.com, additional DRAM, I'd go with a straight 64GB set, that way they are tested to work together and will work under XMP...Any time you mix sets it can be problematic, and XMP generally just doesn't work, the XMP programming is for the packaged set, i.e in the advanced timing a 4 stick set might call for a tRFC of 255, but an 8 stick set might want 360 or more, so you'd have to set the timings, voltages, etc manually which can be very time consuming

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman, thanks for replying.
      I have already contacted the store where I bought the ram and it will take care of the RMA.
      After RMA, i'm going to buy 64GB kit to avoid any time consuming configuration.
      Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, let us know when the you get the exchange

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

First of all, sorry for updating a quite old thread.
          But after the last post i'm still waiting for the RMA to close; for some reason the online shop that sold me the ram, is getting a lot of time to complete the rma.
          And i can't even verify if the gskill product i bouhgt was really sent for a RMA, as far as they don't give me any information about.
          Stay tuned for more news and thanks a lot for assistance.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you
            AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
            Noctua NH-U9B SE2
            Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
            G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
            Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
            XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
            Corsair HX850
            Antec 900
            Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

We'll be waiting

Tman

Comment

Hi to all and sorry for updating a quite old thread.
                I just want to update with new info this thread and asking further assistance if possibile.
                Finally i get my F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL kit returned from rma and it worked fine.
                So i decided to exchange this kit with F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL and again i encountered the same issue.
                When setting xmp profile, bios mark one dimm as abnormal and shows only 60 out of 64GB of ram.
                Suspecting the motherboard, i order a new p9x79 pro but the issue still persits.
                I also tried relax timing (11-11-11-40) and setting manually voltages, but no luck at all.
                I tried this settings:

XMP Method:

AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
                eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile1
                CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
                CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.25v
                VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.25v
                DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
                DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

Manual Method:
                AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual
                DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600
                DRAM CAS -> 10
                DRAM RAS to CAS -> 10
                DRAM RAS PRE -> 10
                DRAM RAS ACT -> 30 and also 31
                DRAM Command Mode -> 2
                CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.25v
                VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.25v
                DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
                DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

No problem with auto and ddr set to 1333mhz.
                Another defective kit or some incompatibility with ddr set to 1600?
                Any help appreciated and sorry for my bad english .

Comment

Have you tried reseating all the memory? it sounds Very strange to me that it would see 60gb... 56 would make sense, but it sees half a stick? Does it recognize all 64 gigs at 1333? I almost wonder about that cpu handling that much memory at that speed, I would try bumping Vccsa/Vttcpu or something similar. You are running one heck of a load on that MC!
                  Last edited by supahos; 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM.
                  ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
                    Have you tried reseating all the memory? it sounds Very strange to me that it would see 60gb... 56 would make sense, but it sees half a stick? Does it recognize all 64 gigs at 1333? I almost wonder about that cpu handling that much memory at that speed, I would try bumping Vccsa/Vttcpu or something similar. You are running one heck of a load on that MC!
                    Hi supahos and thanks for reply.
                    Yes, the motherboard mark one dimm as abnormal and show only 60GB of ram; no problem at 1333, all 64gb recognized.
                    I already tried resetting the memory but it doesn't work.
                    Also tried VTTCPU and VCCSA at 1.25v but without result.
                    The really strange thing is that it only happens at first boot and after 2 or 3 hours from the last shutdown.
                    If i first enter the bios, change form xmp to auto, reboot and change again form auto to xmp it works like a charm.
                    I suspect something like "cold boot", but it does the same even with a new motherboard.
                    Now i'm trying PCH 1.1 set to 1.2v: stay tuned for news.

Comment

That sounds like it could be a bios issue as well... if you haven't already, update the bios... and uhhh maybe ensure the cmos battery is firmly in place? sounds like an unlikely culprit, but its a 2 second check.

and its doubtful, but throw 1.6v at the memory as well, who knows sometime voltage in general cures what ails you.
                      ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

As far as i know the bios is the latest, 4302.
                        But it has done the same way since the previous bioses; i will check the battery as i never think it could be the culprit.

Thanks.

Comment

I'll say the battery is highly unlikley but I did have a board have some really weird issues 4 or 5 years ago and I guess the cmos battery got knocked loose either during shipping or install. REALLY unlikley, but stranger things have happened.

Comment

Checked the battery: removed and reinserted, but the problem still persists.
                            At this point, i think i'll give a try to other memory kits and see if the problem persists.

Comment

Working...
                            X