Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Boot + BIOS Access Issue

Hello.
    I have just got a GA-X79-UD5 Motherboard back from testing by Gigabyte who said board is OK. For them with all memory slots populated board gets to the "beep" in 5 to 7 seconds and no problem to enter bios.
    For me 16 seconds to beep with 1 memory module installed, 20 sec with all 8 modules. When I first got this board it took repeated attempts to access bios, usually just a blank screen, eventually the 3D menu would display and that was with board out of case, minimal hardware, mouse & keyboard. Now and for a few weeks before board went for testing can get into bios by removing Logitech steering wheel usb cable.
    I do not have a cpu or ddr3 memory spare to test with, all other hardware I have duplicated but symptoms remain. G.Skill said I should check bios settings, but I have not changed anything in bios since getting board back from Gigabyte, they have also offered rma on the memory but thinking about it would seem to me unlikely that all 8 modules would be faulty. Have had online chat with intel support who think cpu will be ok as computer works fine once running. Does anyone know what I need to set in bios to try to get things working correctly.
    Memory is F-317000CL9Q2-32GBZH 8 sticks bought as 1 kit.
    cpu is an intel i7-3930K
    bios is f10, I did update this to f12 but it made no difference & Gigabyte have put it back to f10. I asked why f10 but have not yet had a reply.
    I have not done any bench marks or stress testing but as far as I am aware the computer works fine.
    Thanks for reading about my problems

With the faster sticks (they prob test w/ 1333) it may take longer, but I think it's prob a BIOS issue they haven't resolved yet (I'd let them know, again). Like you doubt if it's the DRAM itself, if you could post your NIOS settings (particularly DRAM and voltages, will see if anything looks off that we can adjust to speed the process up, i.e. tRFC may be to low, so works OK but takes time to get started

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman for your reply.
      Here are bios settings ....
      Memory Frequency 1600
      DRAM Voltage 1.500v
      Data Tx Referrence 0.750v
      Dram Termination 0.750v
      Data Reference 0.755v
      Address Reference 0.755v
      Same on CH A/B C/D

CAS Latency 11
      tRCD 11
      tRP 13
      tRAS 28
      tRC 39
      tRRD 5
      tWTR 6
      tWR 12
      tWTP 24
      tWL 8
      tRFC 128
      tREFI 12
      tRTP 6
      tFAW 24
      tCMD 2
      Same on CH A/B C/D
      There is 1 XMP set @21.33
      I had standard timing set @ 9-11-10-28 & voltage@ 1.65v before board went for testing, but it did not help.
      Last edited by SJ-; 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM. Reason: screen shot img did not display

Comment

Might check what the VTT and VCCSA voltages are (MC (Memory Controller) and SYStem agent voltage) and try VTT about 1.15 to 1.2 if not already there and the VCCSA up to 1.2 if already lower.....could also try DRAM VVoltage at 1.7 (just to see if it helps, may not be getting full 1.65 to the sticks)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

VTT is 1.050v, this is set to auto and won't let me change it, cannot find VCCSA.
          Emailed Gigabyte for how to change VTT, also asked what memory speed was used to test my board. Asked, again, why they set bios back to f10. Waiting for a reply.
          Thanks for your help, will update as soon as I get info from Gigabyte.

Comment

Will be waiting to hear

Tman

Comment

Hello.
              Sorry to say I have not had a reply from Gigabyte yet, have also mailed Gigabyte Taiwan but no answer from them either. Will update as soon as I can.

Comment

We'll be waiting

Tman

Comment

Gigabyte, both UK & Taiwan are not answering me emails, have mailed both of them today and no response.
                  Tried with XMP enabled but computer won't start, keeps rebooting and blue screens. Tried to change memory timings but its like its locked in auto, before it went for testing I could select quick, expert & auto. Guess I ought to try optimized defaults and then see if I can change things.
                  Wish they would tell me why they would choose f10 instead of f12, I have not seen an f11 if anyone was wondering about that.

Comment

May not have been an f11 at all, or it may have come out as a beta and then was dropped when f12 came out, either way it sounds like a problem with the mobo or quite possibly the BIOS. Doubt if you'll hear anything over the weekend.

Tman

Comment

Managed to change frequency from 1600 to 1866, 17 seconds to beep so small improvement from 20 seconds. Tried voltage at 1.7, but no difference, not found a way to change VTT yet.
                      Tried emailing Gigabyte, again! also asked why it wont run X.M.P. but no responses from UK or Taiwan.
                      Will update if anything changes, many thanks for your help.

Comment

Let us know what they say

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X