Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Maximus V Formula Problem with G.Skill Ripjaws

Hello all,

I am having an issue with my new computer I just built.

The motherboard is the ASUS Maximus V Formula

I bought two sets of 2x4gb sets of G.Skill Ram

The exact Model is F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM its DDR-17000 2133mhz

According to the motherboard specs it only supports 2 dimms of this particular RAM at one time, and I have 4 Sticks.

I'm curious if there are any tricks to get it to work with all 4 dimms. If I install all 4 I get a "no memory installed error"

I realize that it was an error on my part not checking before purchasing the RAM, I just kind of assumed that it would work.

i'm just trying to figure out if there is another solution besides returning the RAM to newegg and getting a different set.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Biggest problem is prob that the BIOS can't adjust for the 4 sticks. Any time you mix sets it can be problematic, and you also find that XMP won't work with two sets, the XMP programming is 'by the package', a two stick set is programmed for 2 sticks, a 4 stick set is programmed to adjust for 4 sticks, you sets may have, say programming for a tRFC of 150 or whatever where 4 sticks may need the tRFC at 260+. Anyway, with that said, might try clearing the CMOS, turn XMP off (set to AUTO or Manual), manually put in your base timings, set the CR (Command Rate to 2T, set the DRAM voltage to 1.6 initially (will prob be able to drop to 1.55 later), set freq to 2133 and CPUVTT (MC Voltage) to about 1.15 or so and give that a try.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply I really appreciate it.

I understand what you're saying, and now I realize it was silly to buy the two packages, I should have bought a 4x4.

I am up for trying your suggestions, but in your opinion would it be better to just return both and buy a set of 4x4 or 2x8 and resolve it that way?

Thanks for all the help, its greatly apprecaited.

Comment

I'd give it a try, I know I've mixed sets and gotten them to run fine (actually with less than I'm suggesting here) with the sticks you have, as well as two sets of the Z model and the similar 2133/9 Snipers, especially if you have a K model CPU (an OC helps also, maybe start at 3.9 or 4.0 anyway, and works w/ either the K model IB or SB CPUs. So, again, I'd say give it a shot, if any problems, get back and we'll lock at the advanced/secondary timings which may well be off some also

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi,

next time you can going to our web-site and check the motherboard support list, you could just enable the XMP profile and just lay back for it!

Comment

Yeah, the G. Skill site shows that my motherboard supports this ram, which it does... just not 4 dimms of it at the same time

I'll try the modifications you've suggested and see if I can get them to work...

Part of me still thinks it would be better to get a matching set from G.Skill that will work right out of the box.

Comment

In all honesty probably, but if you have the sticks, it's Sunday, can give them a shot, can always package them back in the plastic and return/exchange them

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm going to go ahead and replace them.

My next question is, what should I replace them with?

Is it better to go with 4x4gb or 2x8gb? Obviously the 4x4 leaves me no room for upgrade in the future...but I don't think I'll need more than 16gb RAM any time soon so that wouldn't be a huge concern?

Will the RAM run in something beyond Dual Channel if there is 4 Dimms?

Also, what model of G.Skill do you all suggest? I want something equivelant to the Ripjaws or a little better if possible, certainly nothing thats lower performance, and I'd like to keep the price reasonable.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Comment

Also, I originally purchased the DDR-2133 because it seemed to be a good mix of speed vs. price.

Any suggestions around a slower speed memory or higher speed? Pros? Cons?

Thanks much

Comment

That could play in with what CPU you have, a 3570K, 3770K will handle 2400 and the 3770K can handle faster (some 3570Ks can also go higher, but wouldn't count on it)

A 25/26/2700K will do 2133 w/ no problem. If thinking 2133 I'd stick with the CL9 for performance and go 2x8GB, probably the Tridents F3-2133C9D-16GTX would be my first choice, (designed for the Z77) closely followed by the Ripjaws X F3-2133C9D-16GXH, both are 2133/CL9, only take 2 slots, so less stress on the MC than 4 sticks, and leaves room for expansion to 32GB in the future if needed....and all the CPUs above can handle the sticks up to 32GB....I have 32GB of the Ripjaws X in my P67 and 32 of the Tridents in my Z77 and have switched and tested both sets in both mobos, with both the 2500K and the 3570K

Tman

Comment

Okay, well My CPU is a 3570K

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231609

The Trident series is about $60 more for the 16gb kit on Newegg.

Thanks for all the ongoing help

Comment

Oops just realized that was ddr 1600

One issue with the Trident series is that its 55mm tall instead of the 40mm on the ripjaws X.

I'm running a cooler master V6GT Cooler and the ripaws X just barely barely squeezes under it.

So I could install two Trident sticks on the two slots away from the cooler, but I would not be able to install two of them in the left side set of slots because of the cooler.

Comment

Unfortunately the Trident series is 55mm tall meaning that I could install two dimms on the right set of slots but the two on the left would not accomodate a 55mm tall dimm because of my Cooler Master V6GT cooler, the RIpjaws just barely squeezes under it and the Trident series is 15mm taller.

Comment

Terribly sorry for the double post

Comment

The top fins of the Tridents are removable (a small screw in each end) which actually takes them down to about 33-34mm. The Ripjaws do however have fixed upper fins

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X