F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR burning up I5-2500k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR burning up I5-2500k

I bought a pair of F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR a couple of months ago for a new build. About 2 weeks in my computer wouldn't post unless I took one stick of RAM out of the motherboard. I immediately did an RMA request with Newegg and received the replacements a couple of weeks later, installed and still no post just beeps so I RMA,d my motherboard. This took over 3 weeks to receive a new one. I then put the system back together and still no post. I then contacted Intel who says my memory sticks burned out the memory controller on my cpu (I5-2500k). Anyways, they are replacing my CPU under warranty but said I must go to a slower RAM. This leads me to the question what is the bet RAM for this setup? They said no larger than 1333mhz but I have read that 1600mhz is the sweet spot for this cpu. Also does anyone know if since the memory I have now is unused if I can trade it for a slower set with GSkill? I really do not want to have a $60 sniper series paperweight. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Ooops forgot! MB is Biostar TZ&&EX4, Crucial SSD, ATI HD6870
    Last edited by Stacy; 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM.

Could I underclock the RAM I have enough to run stable possibly?

Comment

You definitely can underclock the DRAM, but should be no need to, my guess is that it came from a KNOWN bad batch of CPUs if Intel is RMAing. It's possible you had a bad mobo that wasn't regulating voltage properly, or CPU that was surging, but I'd lean to my original guess, generally if you tell Intel you are using DRAM faster than 1600 they just say NO! since they rate the 2500K at 1333, but I've got one now that has run 2133 in a number of variants, I started with 1866 Snipers (16GB) that I OCed and ran at 2133 for a few months, I've run 2133/CL9 Snipers at 2133/CL8 (16GB), I've got 2133/9 RJ X at 2200+ (32GB), and 2400 Tridents @ 2200 (32GB) all have been run with the CPU up to 5GHz....and I picked this up in Feb of last year. I've also built prob 30 or more 2500K rigs and the lowest rated DRAM (except for 2) has been 1866 (anywhere from 8-32GB), most have been 2133 (CL9). From what I've heard, Intel doesn't do recalls, but if they have knowledge of a bad batch, they will RMA regardless and give an excuse. The DRAM itself isn't going to burn up a MC, as mentioned earlier a bad mobo can, or extreme voltage, but if all is good (mobo, CPU, voltages) then it was a faulty CPU

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. That really helps alot.

Comment

No problem, (meant to add) with your combo, ensure you have the latest BIOS, enable XMP and should be good to go at 2133, if you do decide to downclock, should run at 1866 with 10-10-10-30, 1600 at 9-9-9-27, if any help needed, give a shout

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X