Height of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I am building an HTPC and will either use the ASUS P8H77-M Pro or the Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H. I would like to use the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B cooler, but it only allows for 39mm DIMM height, will the low style Ripjaws fit?
    Last edited by Arkitekt; 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM.

Believe so, they are 40mm full height, so installed should be under the Scythe

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks

Now I just need to figure out if I want to get 8 Gb's or just 4 Gb's for my HTPC lol

Comment

If want to be safer, take a look at the Ares line, it's lower profile and the sticks run very well with the H77 chipset, and just me being me, I'd lean towards 8GB, and could always use it as a regular PC or backup also even while recording/watching

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I was looking at the 8GBRL, but the 8GB Ares looks perfect Thanks! Looks the same as Corsair Vengeance Low Profile, but cheaper and the blue will go well in either those motherboards.
          Last edited by Arkitekt; 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

That's true as far as looks, was thinking more compatibility and the low profile (33 mm if I remember right)...I've used a few of these sets on AMD for upgrades and been pleased - Snipers are also great on AMD but then your back to 40mm

Tman

Comment

Just was wondering, the F3-1600C9D-8GAB is not on either of the motherboards QVL list, does that mean it won't work best?

Comment

Nope, should be fine with those, for a bit of info on QVLs might look at my info thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Tman

Comment

once again, Thanks

Comment

Not a problem, enjoy trying to help out when I can

Tman

Comment

Arkitekt: sorry to butt into your thread, but I have very much the same question, and found this thread while googling. I just want to clarify something in the answer you received :

Tradesman, you suggested there'd be no problem fitting a 40mm high DIMM under a heatsink that leaves only 39mm clearance ... could you explain how that works ?

I must confess I don't know quite where the 39mm clearance starts and ends, and can find no reference to it on Scythe's website, but this review of the Shuriken refers to the 39mm DIMM clearance (caption on 5th photo down).
                      • If the 39mm is between the mobo top surface and the underside of the heatsink fins then I think there's a problem.
                      • If the 39mm is between the top surface of the DIMM slot (or, say, the top surface of the motherboard's stock heatsink mounting bracket) and the underside of the heatsink fins then it should be okay.

Are you saying that part of the 40mm DIMM will be buried in the DIMM slot, and that the 39mm clearance begins at the top surface of the DIMM slot housing, which is itself a few millimetres tall ? If not (and assuming the Shuriken actually reaches as far laterally, as DIMM slots 1 and 2) then it seems to me the Ripjaws heat spreader will be slightly crushed when the Shuriken heatsink is tightened down to the motherboard (as it must be if it is to make proper contact with the CPU).

FWIW: I already have the motherboard - a Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 - and the RAM, 'F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL', and had now decided on the Shuriken cooler to replace the stock AMD cooler - until I realised there may be a problem with the Ripjaws DIMMs.

Tradesman: I'd be very grateful if you could just amplify a little on how this would work.
                      Arkitekt: did you proceed with the Ripjaws purchase, or did you switch to Ares ?

Comment

Primarily from upgrading a Asus P67 that was using a Shuriken, and had some plain jane 1333 sticks to a set of 16GB 1866 Ripjaws X, the first stick was a tight fit going in, sort of angled it down from towards the front of the case, but it slid into the slot and was fine

Tman

Comment

I will be ordering parts tomorrow. I have decided to go with the Ares Low Profile 8GB set. I will let you know how they fit when I get them installed, and I will post a photo to show the clearance.

Comment

Those will definately fit better with the lower profile, but the Ripjaws X work OK also

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              Primarily from upgrading a Asus P67 that was using a Shuriken, and had some plain jane 1333 sticks to a set of 16GB 1866 Ripjaws X
                              Ahaa ... those Ripjaws X look slightly taller than the Ripjaws .... wait a minute [tap tappety tap] ... no they're not, they're exactly the same height. Thanks very much for that. I'm very tempted to just try it.

If the worst comes to the worst, I've been thinking I could get a couple of sticks of Ares to put in slots 1 and 2, and move the Ripjaws sticks from slots 1,2 to slots 3,4 ....

Do you think the two module types would work happily together ? I was planning to go from 8Gb to 16Gb at some point anyway, but I'd be happier to keep to sticks all of the same type. I notice the documented CAS timings look a little different :

Ripjaws 9-9-9-24-2N
                              Ares 9-9-9 2N

(it's as if they've just omitted the tRAS figure for some reason ...)

Comment

Working...
                              X