Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Dead?

Hi all.

Just signed up to get some official feedback if possible.

I have a pair of 2x4GB ram sticks here, F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL and I have been using them on my new Ivy build for about a month and a half, but the ram itself has been purchased back in May.

Anyways, here is what happened. I've put the rig together a month and a half ago or so, been running smoothly with no issues.

However early this week I got my first Bsod. It was a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
    I looked into it and google pointed me at a RAM issue.

It was indeed a ram issue.

I can no longer boot into windows with both ram sticks plugged in.
    I took one stick out to see if I can boot with one, and yes I could. Then I swapped them around (unplugged the first one and plugged the second one in its place) and again I could boot. But as soon as I had both sticks in, I would get a bsod 2 seconds into windows loading screen.

First thing I did was to run memtest, and that night one of the sticks returned around 20k errors in the first few minutes. Second stick was fine that night.

Some users on another forum I'm a member of said it could also be a motherboard issue, luckily it is not.

Today I have borrowed my housemates ram stick. His ram sticks are exactly same model, same MHz speeds and same timings except the sticks are 4x2GB.

Tried 2 of his ram sticks in my PC in dual channel, worked fine. Tried all 4 of his ram sticks in my PC, also worked fine.

I've been to the shop where I got my ram from and explained what happened first (I tested my housemates ram sticks a few days later after I visited the shop, so only told them about memtest results and whats going on generally) and they said to leave the sticks with them for testing or better yet, bring the whole PC for testing. Haven't done that yet as I wanted to try my housemates ram sticks first (which I have done now).

They also told me that if the ram sticks turned out to be faulty they would send them back to you guys for further testing etc, and that it would take between 2 to 8 weeks.

Firstly, I cannot wait that long for a replacement as I don't have any other spare ram to use while I wait.

Secondly, I'd love some feedback from here and maybe a confirmation that my ram stick could indeed be faulty.

I should also mention that the bsod I got happened during a gameplay of Arma2/Dayz. Was happily playing the game and out of nowhere my PC bsod'ed. Firs bsod on this setup ever.

Everything is up to date. All drivers and bios.

Specs:
    Mobo - AsRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional (bios v1.30)
    CPU - i5 3570k @ stock speeds
    Ram - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL DDR3 1600
    Windows 7 Pro x64

Hope I explained everything well.

Cheers.

I'd say it prob is a bad stick - did you try your sticks in the other system to confirm? Regardless might get faster results direct to GSkill since in Australia, might contact rma@gskill.com which is their home base in China. Might also see if your re-e/tailer would give you a couple of sticks as loaners since it appears they don't want to do a straight exchange, since they sold a faulty stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      I'd say it prob is a bad stick - did you try your sticks in the other system to confirm? Regardless might get faster results direct to GSkill since in Australia, might contact rma@gskill.com which is their home base in China. Might also see if your re-e/tailer would give you a couple of sticks as loaners since it appears they don't want to do a straight exchange, since they sold a faulty stick
      hmmm, haven't thought of that haha. I will do that during the day.

I will also email rma and see what can be done.

Personally I don't think they would give me a few sticks for a loan hah.

Comment

Some places will if they sold them to you, especially if you drop a veiled hint that next time you'll shop elsewhere, or see what GSkill says, if they think a quick turnaround, take them to the store ask for a set as a loaner, then if they say No, tell them you'll just go direct through GSkill which will be faster (if true) and let GSkill know how the store treats it's GSkill customers.....they may change their mind about loaners

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X