computer reboots gskill F3-12800CL9D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer reboots gskill F3-12800CL9D

hello everyone - so I've done searches on this forum and all over the internet and I haven't been able to find anyone with the same problem as I have. When my computer is under moderate load, it just completely shuts off and reboots without warning. I've done a lot of tests using Prime95, and all signs point towards it being my RAM causing the issue. So, instead of RMA, I bought another set of the same sticks from newegg, and then planned to RMA my other sticks which I thought were my defective sticks after I got the new ones from NewEgg. WRONG - problem persists even with new sticks. However, with the newer sticks, the computer doesn't seem to reboot as quickly as with the other sticks. Here are the facts/things I've done:

1. When using Prime95, using the "Small FFTs" test, my system does not crash or reboot, EVER. 100% stable during this test. I'm overclocked to 4.5GHz @ 1.33V on the CPU.
    2. When using Prime95, using the "Blend" test, which says it "tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested" with my first set of sticks it rebooted immediately. With my new set of sticks, it takes about 2 minutes, then finally it reboots.
    3. In my BIOS, I've tried setting all of the times manually, 9-9-9-24. Set the voltage to 1.5V. Changed my "A.I. Overclock Tuner" to X.M.P. as I read to do here in these forums. None of this has made any difference. It still reboots without warning. I've actually noticed that when I set the timings to 9-9-9-24 that it would reboot QUICKER, so I set them back to Auto and it doesn't happen quite as fast on Auto.
    4. The game I play the most is Flight Simulator X. I usually can't have a whole session without at least one shut down and reboot. I've noticed however, that if I make sure I don't have other things running in the background, such as web browsers or Google Earth in addition to FSX, that it doesn't reboot nearly as often, again leading me to believe this is for sure a RAM issue.
    5. I've noticed that on the tool on Windows 7 where it shows your CPU and RAM load, that when it gets over 40% for my RAM, that's where the danger zone is of my computer rebooting. With just running this browser page that I have opened right now, it's at 23%. Doesn't allow me to run much more
    6. When taking my overclock off, bringing the CPU back to 3.4GHz, it takes much longer to shut off, but ultimately it still shuts off. Takes about 10 minutes vs 2 minutes at 4.5GHz or with my first set, it didn't even take one second.

Here are the specs:

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0 motherboard
    Intel i7 2600k
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX580
    Seasonic 750W PSU
    g.skill ripjaws F3-12800CL9D 8GB
    BIOS Version 2103
    Windows 7 64 bit

One other note - my brother has almost the exact same computer, except he has I think a NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 and not as big of a power supply. He has no problems whatsoever, and also plays Flight Simulator X a lot. He didn't even select any settings for the RAM in the BIOS. He's also overclocked to 4.6GHz, stable with no problems.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by aherrold; 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM.

First thing I'd suggest is update to the latest BIOS, you're two versions behind, the latest version in particular has a lot of DRAM/XMP updates in it, ver 3207, can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...LUXE/#download

Then power up and enable XMP, select the 1600 profile and see how it goes, any problems, when you check back post your system voltages and DRAM timings.....also initially try with a single set of DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ok, did all of that, and ran Prime95 using the "blend" test and it went 20 minutes with no shutdown, so all was good there.

Then, I put my overclock back on, back to 4.5GHz and ran the "blend" test. Got about 15 seconds in and bam there it goes, shuts off and reboots. Problem remains. Any ideas?

Voltages are as follows:

DRAM Voltage: 1.500 V
      VCCSA Voltage: 0.925V (set to Auto)
      VCCIO Voltage: 1.062V (set to Auto)
      CPU PLL Voltage: 1.793V (set to Auto)
      PCH Voltage: 1.037V (set to auto)

Primary DRAM Timings:
      DRAM CAS# Latency: 9
      DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
      DRAM RAS# Pre Time: 9
      DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24
      DRAM Command Mode: 2

Comment

Try the DRAM voltage at 1.55 and raise VCCIO to 1.12 or thereabouts

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, I may have found the culprit. I tried what you said, ran the test and got about a minute and 30 seconds in and poof, shut off and restart. Went into bios and on a hunch, I've always had "load line calibration" set to "extreme." before I came back here and said "that didn't work either" I wanted to try putting that setting to auto. Put it to auto, ran the test and I went over 20 minutes and it never shut down once. WOO HOO!!!!

Ok so next question would be, why is that causing my computer to shut off? Why can't I have it at extreme but yet my brother has his at extreme? Strange. Maybe it's not the RAM afterall? Any ideas?

Comment

Shouldn't need load line at extreme unless using very low vCore for the OC...and with mobos there's just no telling, I've sort of come to find no two are 'exactly' alike. I've had a few occasions where i've built systems (generally for say a small business) and built anywhere from 3 to 10 or more 'identical' systems, and generally had to make changes to some and not to others, and even then with ones that have the same settings, they won't perform 'identically'...Some my have 'stronger' CPUs, or DRAM, or dives (particularly w/ SSDs) than others, some regulate voltage better, etc....when it come to voltage I try and keep things as low as possible while maintaining stability

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X