Issues with F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR and AsRock Z77 Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR and AsRock Z77 Extreme4

Hi there. I'm having what I think, though am not sure, is a memory issue with the machine that I built about two months ago.

Typically after Windows boots, the computer freezes (just a frozen screen it doesn't go black) after anywhere from 1 minute to many hours. I can't really predict when it will freeze because sometimes it will go for hours without a crash under heavy or no load and then crash as soon as I start to use it under "normal" load. Sometimes it is stable for days and then it inexplicably isn't. On rare occasions I will get a BSOD, typically with a machine check exception.

My debugging efforts:
    - Ran memtest+ plus on the memory for at least 8 passes. I've run both sticks together and separately in different slots. Memory passed each time with no errors. The computer never froze during these tests.
    - Removed everything and ran it with just the processor, memory, SSD (Crucial CT128M4), and video card (GeForce GTX560).
    - Reinstalled Windows several times.
    - RMA'd the original motherboard, but the new one has the same problems so I'm looking for other culprits.

I am currently running the most recent bios version (2.00). I am running the g.skill mandated standard timings and voltage. Based on comments from others I've also tried to adjust the DRAM voltage up to 1.55, but that doesn't seem to help. It was also suggested to turn turbo on, but that just makes the machine BSOD in a completely different way.

Does anybody have any thoughts about my issue? Does this seem like this is actually a memory issue, or should I look elsewhere. I am extremely frustrated so any help that you guys can give would be much appreciated

What CPU do you have? Did you update all the drivers from their web site? After checking those, may want to drop back on the BIOS...they had issues with the earlier BIOSs and the advanced DRAM timings. I know I worked with them and ver 1.4 and 1.6 were good. Then when I tried 2.0 it was back to some of the same earlier problems....So might try one of those BIOS versions. I know at one point they had pulled the 1.6, if so, and you want to try it, call me and I'll email you a copy.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The processor is an Intel Core i5 3570K. I did update all of the drivers from their website.

When I got the board, I think that the BIOS was on ver. 1.3 or 1.4. I was having the same sorts of problems under that version as well, though I didn't play around with the advanced settings at that point. I'll give it a try tonight, so thanks.

Comment

Sent ver 1.6 via email

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I got it, so thanks for your help. Past bumping the DRAM voltage up to 1.55 (or not?), is there anything that I should look to in order to provide stability or to prove that the memory is or is not at fault here? Thanks again

Comment

If any further problems, post your BIOS settings and I'll take a look, primarily DRAM timings, basic and advanced as well as system voltages and what multiplier you have the CPU on

Tman

Comment

I downgraded the bios to 1.60 (significantly different memory management options -- I don't understand why they changed it). It was still crashy under both of the XMP profiles so I bumped the DRAM voltage up to 1.55. Since then it has seemed quite stable under profile 1.

I'll let you know if things degrade again, but otherwise the computer is the most stable that its ever been. Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

No problem, hopefully, they'll take the input (again) and get a 2.1 out soon that uses 1.6 as a base and get things straightened out

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X