F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ w/ Asus P5Q PRO MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ w/ Asus P5Q PRO MB

I am having lockup issues with a matched set of four 4GB memory sticks: F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ in an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard running 64 bit Win7 Professional.

I installed these on Feb 28, 2012 replacing two 2 GB modules and they ran fine until yesterday when the system began locking up. I have tried running just one stick at a time and it takes longer to lock up but eventually (within 30 minutes) the system will lock up. With all four, I am lucky to get 3 or 4 minutes before a lockup.

I did not change any settings in the BIOS as the M/B automatically recognized the new memory and changed the memory speed and CAS settings accordingly.

I could not find a sticky post configuration suggested for this memory and my model of Asus m/b.

I put the old memory back in and the system has been stable all day with the old memory.

Suggestions please?

Try with stock timings and raise DRAM voltage + .1 and NB voltage + .15 to to start and let us know how that works w/ 2 and/or 4 sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I did what you requested raising the DRAM voltage by .1 from 1.8 to 1.9 volts and the NB voltage by .15 volts from 1.10 to 1.25 volts with two sticks to start and had the same problem within a couple of minutes which is consistant with my prior results.

The thing that bothers me about this problem is that this system was rock solid for 10+ days with all four stick of the new GSKILL memory and I did not make or have any changes to the BIOS or other hardware of this system prior to the beginning of the problem. The only thing that could possibly have changed was perhaps something in my Windows 7 drivers or other updates.

I have not tried to run this system with the new memory under XP but with the 4GB of old Corsair 1066memory, it is again rock solid running the same Win7 OS instance.

I see another user with the same M/B and Windows 7 has similar issues. Could this be a problem with this memory getting flaky after a "burn in" period?

Hoping you have another suggestion...

BTW, I have a Core 2 DUO E8400 @ 3.00 GHz and an FSB of 1333 MHz.

Comment

Might try running Memtest on each stick individually to see if any have gone bad, it's unusual but can happen. Had any power spikes lately? that can screw things up also

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I assume you mean Memtest86 from memtest.org? If so will try that assuming that the system will stay up long enough.

And no, we have not had any power spikes. Plus the system is on a UPS with surge protection. Will post the results of the memory test.

Comment

We'll be around

Tman

Comment

Ran the tests on all four sticks with no errors. Several of the sticks had multiple complete passes with no errors. All had at least one complete pass with no errors.

I also updated the BIOS. Am now waiting to see how long one stick will last since the bios update.

Comment

Is there anything else to try in terns of voltages or changing the FSB clock?

Comment

Well,

No sooner posted the second reply and the system locked up again. This is with one stick, the default settings, and new BIOS direct from ASUS. BTW, I AM NOT Overclocking this system.

What now?

(From my laptop)

Comment

Could try raising voltages a bit more - not sure where your at right now on DRAM and NB, if at 1333 or 1600 on the FSB might add a bit of voltage to the vCore, that can help occasionally....or better yet, can you post your BIOS settings and I'll get a look later this PM or early evening

Tman

Comment

Trying to simplify the hardware configuration to eliminate other possible factors that could effect voltages and loads on the system, I removed all USB devices and the system seems to have settled down so far. There is something apparently going on between a USB device and the stability of this memory that does not effect the older Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) 1066 memory that I had in this system from day one.

When I run that memory, it doesn't matter what I plug into the USB ports. But as soon as I put just even one stick of the new GSKILL memory, the system will lock up thin a couple of minutes. If I put all four sticks in, it locks up even quicker, sometimes before I can even login.

Something fairly subtle about the GSKILL memory and USB load effecting one of the system voltages? Maybe you can suggest which one if it is not vCore or DRAM or NB.

Referring to your last message about raising DRAM and/or NB, what is the max for this memory? It is rated 1.8 - 1.9 volts. You had me go to 1.9 volts already. What is the max I can go to for DRAM volts safely with this memory?

Comment

I was at 1.9 for DRAM and 1.24 for NB(.02 increments on this m/b). What is the max I should go with for the DRAM voltage? The memory spec says 1.8 - 1.9 v.

Since my last message, I pulled all the USB connections off this system in the interest of simplifying the configuration and reducing the load that the USB devices might be putting on the P/S. Since then, the system has been stable with no lockups. I am back up to all four sticks now but still at default voltage settings.

This same system has no problem with these same USB devices connected as long as I run with the old 4GB (2x2GB) Crucial 1066 memory that I have had in it since day one (Sept 2008). But there appears to be something about one of these USB devices possiblly an external 4 port hub, that is effecting the GSKILL memory but not the Crucial in this system. Perhaps pulling down one of the m/b voltages? I wouldn't think the memory would be that finicky but it appears so.

Any thoughts as to which other voltage setting might need to be tweaked? And, please let me know about the max DRAM voltage, don't want to damage the new memory.

Have to confess that I don't know how to get you the BIOS settings other than hand copy them. Do you know a trick that I don't?

Comment

Sorry,

Thought my previous post didn't make it...

Comment

2.0 would prob be the max I'd suggest, will drop GSkill a note and see if they can take a look

Tman

Comment

Can you post pictures of BIOS? This memory should be plug and play.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X