My first GSkill Ram ordered - suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first GSkill Ram ordered - suggestions needed

I have always read good things about GSkill Ram & I have ordered a 16GB kit (MEM 4Gx4|GSKILL F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ). My current Kingston Value Ram will only allow me to OC the QX9650 to 3.33Ghz - just by increasing the clock to 10 cycles.

I have done a lot of research on OC'ing & it seems that the highest OCs are obtained when only 2 dimms (on a 4 dimm board) are filled. I am curious to see what OC results I can get when I'm maxed at 16Gb. I've already read customer reviews that the new ram I've ordered will easily go to 1066Mhz, which is more than I can say for the KVR.

I can't wait to see if I can get more Ghz out of the QX9650. I read in another forum that someone with my same hardware achieved 3.825Ghz with these settings:

CPU at 425Mhz x 9 clocks
    FSB at 425Mhz
    Memory @ 1066 Mhz - timings 5-5-5-12

I believe that there was one difference - as this was done with 8Gb & I'm not sure if my machine will handle these settings with 16Gb of ram.

Any comments? If not, I'll just have to play around with it once I get the GSkill & will report on my findings.
    Intel QX9650 @ 3.50Ghz, Asus P5Q SE Plus (BIOS 2204), GeForce 9600GT, 16Gb of 4Gx4|GSKILL F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ, Win7 Pro 64 bit, Antec Basiq 500W PS, 4 - Western Digital Caviar Black HDs, 1 - Crucial M4 128Gb SSD

With 16GB will want to get the DRAM in and stable first, and it may require some tweaking of the NB, DRAM and even vCore voltage. I'd go ahead and get stable at 800 then start taking up the OC. You've already got the latest BIOS, so that step is out of the way

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Good idea. With the board maxed at 16Gb, that should be the best plan.

One question: With the ASUS boards, do you know if the DRAM auto settings will automatically increase the DRAM frequency when I increase the clock cycles on the CPU? I've always been curious about that.
      Intel QX9650 @ 3.50Ghz, Asus P5Q SE Plus (BIOS 2204), GeForce 9600GT, 16Gb of 4Gx4|GSKILL F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ, Win7 Pro 64 bit, Antec Basiq 500W PS, 4 - Western Digital Caviar Black HDs, 1 - Crucial M4 128Gb SSD

Comment

No, everything is manual and has its own option in BIOS.

i.e. what you set DRAM Frequency to in BIOS is what the system will operate at. What you set DRAM Timings at is what the system will use. If the combination does not match, or the memory is not capable of the specs you input, then the system will not boot, or it will restore back to defaults.

Changing one value does not alter the other. The only option that does that in BIOS is the CPU Host Frequency. It changes all frequencies that are based off of it such as DRAM, CPU, NB frequencies, etc.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks. So, if I manually set the FSB Frequency (CPU Host Frequency) in BIOS to 400Mhz, the DRAM frequency will automatically be increased. If I get a successful boot, I can check the resulting DRAM frequency with CPU-Z.

Comment

Yes, if it doesn't boot into Win, can go into BIOS and adjust the strap of FSB to DRAM (i.e. if you kick up the FSB, depending on the srap, it might kick the Mem past it's freq limit and may have to adjust down (or up)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Will do. The new ram will be here later this week. The only site that still had the G.Skill DDR2 16Gb kit doesn't ship to the US Virgin Islands, so it has to come through a friend in the states. Online shopping from here is sometimes a pain.

Comment

But you have pretty good weather

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman. - still waiting for the ram to arrive. One other question I forgot to ask. This 16 Gb set of ram is listed as quad-channel ram. Will this be beneficial as far as being able to increase the DRAM frequency? I've read that there may be only one motherboard with quad-channel capability, which is a high-end server board. I know mine is dual-channel ram capable. I don't know if the quad channel statement is just marketing stuff. Do you have any comments on this?

Comment

You ordered from the Egg? They show it as 'Quad Channel' but it's not it's a 'quad' stick set, or 4 sticks, but No, it's not for quad channel, you can now see true 'Quad' channel in the 2011 socket mobos....that's basically a mis-advertisement by the Egg, the sticks were deigned for socket 775 and single or dual channel systems. I know a couple of people at the Egg and will drop them a note, hopefully they'll clear this up.

Tman

Comment

Done...last time I got with the Egg on one of these things it took a few days for them to get it straightened out.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                        You ordered from the Egg? They show it as 'Quad Channel' but it's not it's a 'quad' stick set, or 4 sticks, but No, it's not for quad channel, you can now see true 'Quad' channel in the 2011 socket mobos....that's basically a mis-advertisement by the Egg, the sticks were deigned for socket 775 and single or dual channel systems. I know a couple of people at the Egg and will drop them a note, hopefully they'll clear this up.
                        Yes, from the Egg. They are the ONLY place online where I could find it! I'm glad to know it's compatible, as it was on my QVL for the P5Q SE Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          Done...last time I got with the Egg on one of these things it took a few days for them to get it straightened out.
                          Just maybe that error worked to my advantage! They had just 5 sets left when I placed my order.

Comment

Could be, let us know what happens

Tman

Comment

G.Skill is Da Bomb!

I finally got my 16GB set today. I set the CPU host frequency to 350Mhz & multiplier of 10 for 3.5Ghz, and it works great! The auto settings for the DRAM frequency set it to 420Mhz. Timings are 5-5-5-15-78-2T.

It may be able to be pushed further, but I'm satisfied. The old Kingston Value Ram was stable only at 399Mhz.

CPU core temps at idle average about 35C, and 61C with all 4 cores at 100%. I'm still using Speedstep, but the 3.5Ghz kicks in when needed.

I had some doubts about getting a decent OC with the P5Q SE Plus maxed out at 16GB, but not any more!

I am sold on G.Skill.

Comment

Working...
                              X