Problems with 8gigs at 1066

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with 8gigs at 1066

Hello all. This is a very informatve board but I still have questions.

I have an old Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with an E8400, 3GHz, processor.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2629#ov

I purchased two sets of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B for 8 gigs of memory. 2 sets of (2x2GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231246

Since this computer still runs so well I decided to get a few more years out of it with more memory and 64 bit Windows 7.

The F-8 bios recognizes te memory correctly at 1066MHz at 2.1 volts. I loaded 4 gigs and installed Win 7 and then installed the second set for 8gigs. This is when the problems started. Since I have been lurking and searching the board this was not unexpected.

As per previous advise to others I set the parameters to 800MHz Cas latency 4 with optimum settings of 4-4-4-10.

Act to Act tRRD 3
    Write to read delay tWTR 3
    Write to precharge delay tWR 6
    Refresh to act delay tRFC 40
    Read to precharge delay tRTP 3
    Static t read 5
    Static to read Auto

Setup like this programs and windows open very fast and absolutely no memory erros using Memtest 86+ and Windows 7 memory diagnostic test. I have found the windows memory test very useful as a predictor of problems running the operating system.

Trying to run 8 gigs of memory at 1066MHz was a problem at first until I upped the FSB voltage .2, MCH voltage .3 and the memory to .3 volts. Using 5-5-5-15 with:

Act to Act tRRD 4
    Write to read delay tWTR 4
    Write to precharge delay tWR 8
    Refresh to act delay tRFC 68
    Read to precharge delay tRTP 4
    Static t read 6
    Static to read Auto

The computer would finally boot and run at 1066MHz but would have hardware problems when running the windows 7 memory diagnostics. I set performance level to standard and tRFC to 88 and still would not pass window's diagnostic.

Any advise or insights I should be aware of other than run at Cas 4??? Mybe I should have run memtest86+ at 1066MHz before posting to see if there was a problem running this memory at 1066MHz. ???

Could you post your current BIOS settings so we can take a look

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tradesman.

Right now I am running Cas 4 as posted in my OP. The voltages are all set at auto except CPU is set at 1.1 volts. This memory runs at 1.86 volts in auto at Cas 4. Performance level is set at Turbo, which is level 5. I will post screen shots later.

Comment

Screen shot

Here is the screen shot with how the memory is running. Let me know if you need more info or actual photo of the BIOS.

Comment

Try a +2 Static t Read and DRAM Voltage 2.20V and see how that works.

DDR2-900 4-4-4-12 2.0V will probably be best.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

8gigs at 1066

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Try a +2 Static t Read and DRAM Voltage 2.20V and see how that works.

DDR2-900 4-4-4-12 2.0V will probably be best.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Thank you for your reply GSKILL TECH. I have previously read this recommendation and have tried it but I forgot to mention that I cannot get the board to overclock, even this small amount of 375MHz, since installing this memory.

I interpreted the +2 to changing Static t Read to 7. The computer then crashed so hard I had clear the BIOS manually something that had never happened to me in 4 years. After clearing the BIOS the computer quickly booted up into Windows 7 at 5-7-7-20 and I changed it to 5-5-5-15 in Memset. It ran well enough to get the screen shot. Testing the memory in Memtest86+ ver4.20 gives all errors from the start of testing. And as I stated before Windows 7 memory diagnostic also gives errors immediately with this memory running at 1066MHz.

I also noticed in the screen shot that the memory reads out as PC6400.??? I understand this maybePC6400 memory but it doesn't run error free at PC8500 (1066MHz).

Is this memory faulty???

Notice the memory is running at 1.84 volts. I did up the voltage to 2.0 and 2.1 volts for error checking. It didn't matter.
            Last edited by SaurianFire; 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM. Reason: Addtional jnfo about voltage.

Comment

What is your NB and vCore voltages in the BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

4 gigs at 1066MHz

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                What is your NB and vCore voltages in the BIOS
                For the 8gigs at 1066MHz vCore was 1.15v and NB was set at auto.

Right now I am testing the sets individually, 4gigs at a time in slot 1 & 3 first. Set all BIOS setting to auto and CPU to 1.15V. It comes up at 1066MHz, memory voltage 2.08 and passes windows memory diagnostic.

Seems I made a mistake buying 2 set of this memory as no matter how many programs or windows are open no more than 3gigs is used still leaving 1gig free.

Comment

Second 4 gig test

I finished testing the second 4gig set in slots 2 & 4. It passed with no errors. So I think I answered my question that the memory is not defective. It is actually good quality RAM.
                  I lowered the CPU volts to 1.10V and the memory runs at 1066MHz at 1.86V.

I have decided to return one set of the memory as I only use the first 4gigs. Does anyone think this is a mistake? If not I welcome any suggested improvements for 4gigs at 1066MHz. Below is a screen shot of the best settings so far that have passed the windows memory diagnostic with no errors.

Act to Act tRRD 3
                  Write to read delay tWTR 3
                  Write to precharge delay tWR 6
                  Refresh to act delay tRFC 52
                  Read to precharge delay tRTP 3
                  Static t read 6
                  Static to read Auto

Last edited by SaurianFire; 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: Forgot my BIOS settings for the screen shot

Comment

Looking at windows such as you are displaying here aren't going to show much DRAM usage, where usage will go up is with open browsers, programs , working with photos, video. etc. If you're into multitasking you'll be happier with 8GB. It's all up to you.

Tman

Comment

Timings look better now, so for 8GB, you just need to loosen them up and make sure to supply enough voltage and it should work fine.

Otherwise, you should have tried the DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V settings first to determine whether the two kits can work together in the same system.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

8gb at 1066MHz

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                        Timings look better now, so for 8GB, you just need to loosen them up and make sure to supply enough voltage and it should work fine.

Otherwise, you should have tried the DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V settings first to determine whether the two kits can work together in the same system.
                        Thanks for your reply. If you look at the first screen shot both sets work together at 4-4-4-10 at 1.86V.

Both sets can run at 1066MHz at loose timings. My problem is that both sets do not run error free at 1066MHz with the loose timing.

I will try again as the BIOS seems to react differently since the manual reset.

Comment

Let us know

Tman

Comment

8gb status

8GB Status:

Well I am back to where I started:

1. Can run at 4-4-4-10 with tight timings. 1.86V, CPU 1.10V no memory errors when tested.

2. Set at 4-4-4-12 900Mhz 2.1V runs with memory errors

3. Set at 5-5-5-15 1066Mhz 2.1V, NB +.3 max, CPU 1.3V computer boots will run Windows 7 but will not run error free when tested with both tight or loose settings.

Every step was documented with screen shots except for the maximum voltage settings. Used both Memtest86+ ver 4.2 and Windows 7 memory diagnostic. Both tests give the same results so just using the Windows test as its easier to use and faster.

I would like to keep the 8gigs even though it is way more RAM than what I really need.

The computer runs very fast at 1066 Mhz Cas5 with tight timings but with only 4gigs.

I have to make a decision very soon as I only have two weeks left if I want to return one set.

Comment

Have you tried increasing the NB voltage with the DRAM at upper spec voltage as I and GSkill Tech suggested. Actual pics of the BIOS settings would help as requested earlier

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X