Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD after adding a second kit

Hi,

I was using a G.Skill dual channel kit of 2x2GB from G. Skill (F2-8500CL5D-4GBK) until I bought another dual kit in order to reach 6GB that I plugged in the second DDR2 banks.

Second kit is same G.skill as well (F2-8500CLD5-2GBPK). BIOS POST is ok but I got BSOD at Windows loadup (minindump says "Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe"). If I remove the first 4GB kit but leave the new 2GB one in the second DDR2 dual bank, Windows launches. But after some time I got a BSOD while surfing on the Net (minidump says "Probably caused by : afd.sys").

I am currently trying the new kit on the 1st DDR 2 bank, where "old" kit was.

Could those new sticks be the problem, or rather the memory bank #2, other ?
    (Haven't tried Memtest yet as the problem just appeared and I can't stop computer working during day)

I am using a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, latest BIOS (F12), RAM settings to auto, E6750, Windows 64 bits SP1.

First, mixing sets of DRAM can be problematic, even when trying two sets of the same exact set, here we have the same base model with different capacities, what I would suggest is the the 2GB sticks in slots 1-3, the 1 GB sticks in 2-4, keeping the same base timings 5-5-5-15, CR to 2T, DRAM voltage to 2.1 (maybe a hair higher) and raising the NB voltage (runs the MC (memory controller)) by + .05 from it's current setting.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried your solution, going up to +.1 and +.2V for the NB.

That's BSOD again and again. And finally I have been to test the 2*1Gb kit alone with Memtest86+. Three successful passes.

I did not dare to test Memory voltage over +0.3V (that's 2.1V, right ? DDR2 standard is 1.8V).
      Should I ?

Comment

+.1 or +.2 may be to much voltage - I suggested + .05 (half of .1, a quarter of .2 that you tried for the NB), the stock voltage for these to set is 2-2.1, so 2.1 is within spec and even 2.15 would be safe

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Badly my motherboard doesn't have so small increments. Minimum is +0.1V step (except for CPU core voltage).

Anyway, I thank you a lot for your help. That is always valuable to receive such when we try to get something fixed.

Comment

Sorry we couldn't do more

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X