Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding 4GB More DDR2 1066 to Existing 4GB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 4GB More DDR2 1066 to Existing 4GB?

Hi there,

I currently have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard with a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 RAM. I am considering upgrading to 8GB and was looking at getting the G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) kit from NewEgg (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231246), so I would add these two 2GB sticks for a total of 8GB. However, I noticed some comments on the product page that I might have trouble running an additional kit of this speed alongside my existing 4GB of DDR2 1066 RAM. Can anyone tell me if this kit will be compatible in addition to what I have now, or do I need to get rid of my old RAM and replace it all with a new setup? Also, would this impact my ability to overclock? Thanks in advance!

- DJ

Mixing sets can be problematic even when the 2 sets are the same brand and model. Mixing different brands and models makes it worse as you will be trying to mix different chips, possible different timings, different base voltages, etc. To be honest there's no way to tell without trying, but chances aren't prob good. Would prob be better off going with a 2x4GB set like the F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ which run well in the UD3R

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X