Dell 630i memory upgrade problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 630i memory upgrade problem...

I'm crossing my fingers someone can help me out here. I just upgraded my computer from XP x86 to Win7 x64.. I had 2gb of ram before so wanted to upgrade.. I purchased 4 sticks of the Gskill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B memory to give myself 8gb total. I checked ahead of time to ensure I could run this and everywhere I looked I was assured.

So.. Initially after installing the ram everything was fine. Booted back up post Windows 7 install and my machine registered 8gb. Everything ran great for a while. Suddenly a BSOD.. I had to swap back to my original Corsair Dominator chips. I looked around and saw I should manually bump my voltages up to 2.1. I started small and bumped to 2.0 and all ran fine for a bit. Even played a few rounds of BF3 at max settings. All was well. Or so I thought.

While watching a movie today I got another BSOD and this time tried adjusting the clock speed. Ended up screwing everything up and had to reset my CMOS config. Lost my raid.. rebuilt it.. currently running with 2gb of corsair ram. So now I ask for help..

Here are my system specs... Courtesy of CPU-Z

Processor 1 ID = 0
    Number of cores 2 (max 2)
    Number of threads 2 (max 2)
    Name Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Codename Wolfdale
    Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
    CPUID 6.7.6
    Extended CPUID 6.17
    Core Stepping C0
    Technology 45 nm
    TDP Limit 65 Watts
    Core Speed 1999.9 MHz
    Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 333.3 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 1333.3 MHz
    Stock frequency 3166 MHz

Chipset
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP rev. A2
    Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI MCP rev. A3
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x8
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Size 2048 MBytes
    Channels Dual
    Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (5:6)
    CAS# latency (CL) 5.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 22
    Command Rate (CR) 2T

Display adapter 0
    Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Revision A1
    Memory size -2048 MB
    PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
    Vendor ID 0x10DE (0x3842)
    Model ID 0x1244 (0x1559)
    Performance Level Default
    Core clock 50.5 MHz
    Shader clock 101.0 MHz
    Memory clock 135.0 MHz
    Performance Level 2D Desktop
    Core clock 405.0 MHz
    Shader clock 810.0 MHz
    Memory clock 324.0 MHz
    Performance Level 3D Applications
    Core clock 900.0 MHz
    Shader clock 1800.0 MHz
    Memory clock 2004.0 MHz

I'm not looking to overclock anything to the max. I just want a stable system.. If anyone can offer up some suggestions I'll appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

-Jon

maybe one of the four sticks is broken... you can test it separately with memtest. (usually you will see errors if exists before 10% of the test)

Comment

Ill give that a shot. Worth a try. Any other windows setting or something I might need to set?

Comment

Might check for a newer BIOS version, if on AUTO, it's not reading your base timings correctly, should be 5-5-5-15, CR (Command Rate should be 2T), DRAM Voltage may need to go a little higher, try up to 2.15 (it's safe), also may need to raise the tRFC (one of the advanced memory timings a little).....if the stock timings, CR and DRAM voltage don't help, could you post your tRFC setting and your other system voltages.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I guess you need to update your bios asap

1.0.4 Updated nVidia BKV (I dont have idea what is it, but I think is it related with the north or south bridge)

1.0.5 Fixed nVidia Graphic card issue (not your case)

1.0.8 Fix: Can't update ESA firmware after run Delldiag. (minor)

1.0.12 Enhance System stability. (may helps a lot)

1.0.13 1. Fix: USB device still exist when remove USB device under S3 mode then resume. 2. Fix: Can not boot from USB floppy in popup menu when the "Diskette Drive" is Off in BIOS setup. 3.Fix: P2P bridge has a resource conflict under windows when installing Dual video cards, more than 2GB memory, and a QX9650 CPU. (your case?) 4.Support for the New Splash Dell Logo.

lastest bios http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...iverId=R220464

Comment

Not home till sunday but ill check those and post back when I can. Once again a appreciate the help!

Comment

Let us know how it goes and thanks for jumping in DINAMIK, that's what helps keep these forums going, users helping users

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                users helping users
                I call that "Linux community spirit".

In fact, usually is so hard for me explain what I'm thinking in this forum or wherever because I speak spanish. So sorry for my poor english, but I will try my best

I hope you can resolve your problem, ZoSoSwiM

Comment

Well, I think Espanol would be appropriate in Argentina, and think your English is very good and you explained well. We've got a few members from your country, want to say at least 8-10 from Buenos Aires alone and others from different areas. Hope to see you around more

Tman

Comment

Hey everyone.. once again thanks for the suggestions.
                    I made sure my bios was up to date.

I then tried memtest..

Found out one of the 4 sticks was screwy. Need to get it exchanged. Tested across my other slots to make sure it's not my mobo and all checks out fine. I am currently running at 4gb..
                    2.15 voltage, 5-5-5-15 timing.. CT=2T. Manually set my memory speed to 1066. So far so good. Computer is flying along nicely. Played some BF3 at max settings and stressed things out nicely. No crashing.

So I'll be contacting newegg/gskill to get this problem remedied. Hopefully have the 8gb running smoothly soon.

I'll post back if I have more trouble. Cross fingers I don't!

Comment

If within 30 days of purchase, might check with NewEgg, else contact GSkill at rma@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                        If within 30 days of purchase, might check with NewEgg, else contact GSkill at rma@gskillusa.com
                        Yes the order from Newegg is new. I'll contact them as soon as I have a free moment. Thanks

Comment

No problem, let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Hey everyone.. Newegg got my RMA and I have the new sticks in hand.
                            Put them in but when I booted I only got a black screen. No beeps. No anything.

My machine has been running perfectly with the 2x2gb sticks since I installed them and adjusted everything.

Here are the current settings courtesy of CPU-Z

DIMM # 1
                            SMBus address 0x52
                            Memory type DDR2
                            Module format Regular UDIMM
                            Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
                            Size 2048 MBytes
                            Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
                            Part number F2-8500CL5-2GBPI-B
                            Number of banks 2
                            Data width 64 bits
                            Correction None
                            Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
                            EPP yes (1 profiles)
                            XMP no
                            JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
                            JEDEC #1 4.0-4-4-10-16 @ 266 MHz
                            JEDEC #2 5.0-5-5-15-24 @ 400 MHz
                            EPP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
                            EPP profile #1 (full) 5.0-5-5-15-48-2T @ 533 MHz (2.100 Volts)

Am I missing something here? Any suggestions are more than welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X