New RAM not being registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RAM not being registered

Model of the motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard
    Model of the memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HD985ZXAGHBOX

I just installed another set of the above RAM, bringing me up to 8GB, but no matter what I try it is not being recognized as installed. Even stranger is that it seems to be working even though the computer still says it has only 4GB of RAM.

I've tried removing and re-installing the RAM, changing the DRAM Configuration from unganged to ganged. Nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Believe the 9850 CPU is limited to 1 stick per channel at 1066, will only 'see' two sticks, might try dropping speed to 8-900 and tightening the timings to about 4-4-4-12 with CR at 2N, that would provide near same performance as the sticks at 1066 native CL5. This is but one of AMD's numerous quirks with RAM and the CPUs

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The speed is at 800, it changed to that when I switched to Ganged as for the other parts; I'll have to look up how to change those settings. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay i was able to change the timing but for the CR is that the same as Command Timing? If so the options are 1T and 2T there is no 2N.

Edit: Using the software CPU-Z I found out that:

Channels #: Dual
          DC Mode: Ganged
          Size: 8192MB
          NB Frequency: 2002.8 MHz
          DRAM Frequency: 400.6 MHz
          FSBRAM: 1:2
          Timing: 4-4-4-12
          Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 25
          Command Rate (CR): 2T
          Last edited by Macilnar; 09-03-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Yes CR is the same as Command Timing and 2t would be the correct setting (used to be AMD used the N designator and Intel used the T, now they sort of toss a coin as to what they use...In cpu-z take a look at the memory tab as above shows the sticks at 800 (400.6 DRAM Freq x 2) when it should be 1066, it also shows timings of 4-4-4-12 when they should be 5-5-5-15

Tman

Comment

Is there some reason why you are trying to run in ganged mode? You are not supposed to use ganged mode with Phenoms and it is not desired. Some people confuse ganged mode with dual channel mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                Yes CR is the same as Command Timing and 2t would be the correct setting (used to be AMD used the N designator and Intel used the T, now they sort of toss a coin as to what they use...In cpu-z take a look at the memory tab as above shows the sticks at 800 (400.6 DRAM Freq x 2) when it should be 1066, it also shows timings of 4-4-4-12 when they should be 5-5-5-15
                They're at 800 and 4-4-4-12 because of your first post... so I am a little confused here, should they be set to 1066 5-5-5-15 or 800 4-4-4-12

In any case it still says there's only 4GB when looking at "System", CPU-Z says 8GB and it is running faster.

ChrisW: I was not aware of this, I'll change it back to unganged when I get home

Comment

800 4-4-4-12 2.0V generally works best with a combination like yours.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X