Memory Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Issue

I have a Dell XPS 710, with Windows 7 64-bit. I recently bought 2x2GB RAM in order to upgrade my computer, and have had problems getting it to work. After a bit of troubleshooting, I upgraded my BIOS (my former version was from 03/2007, new one is from 05/2007, go figure), and tried installing them. Throughout my troubleshooting, I tried one stick alone in port 1, which worked, then the other stick in port 1, which worked. The old memory sticks (2x1GB) work fine, which is what I've been switching to in order to go online to troubleshoot. Right now, I have stick a in port 1, and stick b in port 2. When they were switched, the computer wouldn't start, with no BIOS or anything. With their current configuration, I can sometimes get to the login screen, however I've never been able to fully type in my password before the computer reboots on me. Usually it either freezes during the BIOS, or right after. I've gotten the 1,3,4 diagnostic lights, as well as the 1,2 lights, the 2,3,4 lights, and the 1,2,3 lights. All of these have different meanings, all of which don't come up when I have the original RAM installed. What I think is happening is that the lights scroll through several times during boot to show that they're working, and I think it's just coincidental that the computer freezes when whatever lights are on.

Here is the link to the RAM that I am trying to install: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-209-_-Product

Link to my computer's manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs clarification on anything I posted in my book up there, let me know!

Looks like they want them in what they say are 1-2 or the 1st and 3rd slots from the CPU, may be a problem with the sticks since you have DRAM running at CL4...can check in the BIOS and see if they can be configured manually...or can put old sticks in their original slots and then add the two new ones in the other two slots and see if that works...this way the old sticks will determine the speed and timings and they might mesh. Give it a try and in the meantime I'll see if I can find anything more concrete

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X