Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with PI Black 8500s

Greetings,

I just installed a set of PI Black model # F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B. My motherboard is an eVGA 680i with an Intel E8400 CPU. I have set the memory voltage to 2.1vdc. Also I had a set of PI Black 6400 in there just before which were set at the stock voltages and with an 800Mhz clock. After installing the 8500s and setting the voltage it still reads only a clock of 800Mhz. I would appreciate some help, thanks.

Originally posted by JBone View Post
    Greetings,

I just installed a set of PI Black model # F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B. My motherboard is an eVGA 680i with an Intel E8400 CPU. I have set the memory voltage to 2.1vdc. Also I had a set of PI Black 6400 in there just before which were set at the stock voltages and with an 800Mhz clock. After installing the 8500s and setting the voltage it still reads only a clock of 800Mhz. I would appreciate some help, thanks.
    It's been a long time since I've been on 680i platform, but I'll give it a shot.

Essentially, it's going to be read at 800MHz, the same as any kit would that you put in there, as that is the standard supported by the Intel processor. Obviously the board can do higher, I've personally had a set of Micron D9's at over 1300MHz in this board. A few ways to get the true 1066MHz speed out of your modules. 1. If they support EPP, you could simply enabled EPP and bada-bing, you'd be at 1066MHz and whatever timings the EPP registers in your SPD are set for. If not, your still in luck as the 680i boards will allow you to clock your memory independently from your FSB. So in this case, you'd just manually set your memory speed to 1066MHz, adjust voltage and timings to whatever spec G.Skill suggests for the modules and you should be good. You may need to bump voltages a bit for this step however.

Additionally, I believe I've read on these forums before that G.Skill doesn't recommend their 4GB kits for the 680i boards, but I could be wrong.

Like I said, it's been a very long time since I've owned one of these boards or done support for them (used to work for EVGA) so I apologize. Good luck.

Comment

Depending on the 680i you've got, you'll want to make sure the BIOS is up to date and when you go to set the RAM speed/timings, the 680i has a link/unlinked option in the BIOS, which is what Enjoy refers to when setting the RAM independently you'll want the option on unlinked. The mid to high EVGA boards should have no trouble with a 4GB set and most will take 8GB @1066 if you're running a 64bit OS.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by JBone View Post
        Greetings,

we'd like to make sure if you are installing 2 sets of memory(F2-8500CL5D-4GBPL-B and F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B)
        please try to install only F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B and set it manually at DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15@2.1v
        or you may enable EPP function to run DDR2 1066 automatically

If you are installing with two sets, they would run at the lower frequency and higher Cas Latency of the two sets
        so, if you install one pair of DDR2 800 and one pair of DDR2 1066 together, they'll only work at DDR2 800

However, we do not recommend users to install 4 sticks on nvidia n680i chipset
        it is very picky to 4 sticks of memory
        thanks

G.S

Comment

I have one set installed and its the 8500s. I will look into the EPP I do believe its there when I was in the BIOS last night. I will look again tonight after work and post what I found. Thanks guys.

Comment

Should be fine, if no luck, pls post the mobo model and the BIOS you are running, the 680i chipset isn't all that picky as GSkill states.....it's how the chipset is integrated to the rest of the mobo components

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X