• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL
    replied
    sorry for making you misunderstanding..
    the temp I mean is the northbridge, not CPU

as for your 2 sets of F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ, we could replace you with F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ, which is tested with 4 sticks together
    thanks

G.S

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    Temps

CPU 29C
    MB 30C
    CPU Fan set to 2109rpm
    CPU +12V: 11.82V
    CPU +5V: 5.02V
    CPU +3.3V: 3.33V

I use PC probe to monitor temps. The highest temp I get on the CPU is 42C during 3DMark Vantage bench mark testing. The system runs cool.

I had a freeze up with the 1066 today. I changed a couple setting in the BIOS and have been running stable again. I wish you guys knew what BIOS was so I could get some real help. I'll be returning the Ram and going the OCZ route I think. They have a knowledgeable group of people to help out over there. They have heard of BIOS before too so that is a real plus for me. They read my threads before answering, which is also nice, because they don't ask you to try something you tried 2 weeks ago. They also don't give up on you like GSkill does.

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    Overheating?

I thought I had said I wasn't overheating? I flashed my bios from revision 0506 to 2102 tonight. I've been running stable for over 5 hours now on 4gb of 1066mhz. I will install the 8gb of 800mhz tomorrow and see if it runs stable. It is definitely not an overheating issue. As you may recall the system ran stable for over 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• G.SKILL
    replied
    or would you like to check if your CPU cooler was installed properly?
    or you may try to put a fan on the northbridge to make the temp down
    thanks

G.S

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    Freezing up again

The computer has been running great with the 4gb of 1066 RAM since the "Giving up Post". Today it started freezing again and there were no changes to BIOS. It just started to do it out of nowhere. The computer had been running since the 1066MHz ram was put in. It just suddenly froze while I was looking at newegg.com. Now it freezes 3 minutes after start-up again. Just like before. What is going on with my system? I can change the ram and it works great for a while. Then out of nowhere it goes right back to the same problem before. I would almost rule out the ram at this point. It keeps happening no matter what ram I put in it. I would also wonder why it freezes at exactly 3 minutes every time. Do you have any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    Outstanding, I can't wait to hear back from both of you.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Linked is a bad term, but it sounds as if your RAM Speed is tied to your FSB, when you want both set manually. Just got in will pull a manual after I eat and knockout some paperwork and be back in a bit later this evening.

Leave a comment:

• GSKILL TECH
    replied
    when you use F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK at 1066, there is no problem to run. but if you change back to DDR2 800, computer freezes? please don't give up. i think i know what is the problem now

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    Giving up

Ok Tradesman I am running the vanilla P5Q although at this point I almost wish it was Pro or Deluxe. I tried looking for something to unlink the CPU to the ram in AI tweaker but no luck. The only thing remotely close is the FSB strap to NB which I also tried setting to 333MHz 266MHz and 200MHz all with no luck. Gskill I was setting the AI tweaker to manual and also tried disabling everything that said it would improve stability or the ability to OC. Still nothing changed. I gave up on the Ram for the most part and I'm still milling around the idea of flashing the BIOS. I took out the 4 sticks of F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ and put in the stuff I was replacing because I couldn't run it in 8GB. So I installed two sticks or one module of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 1066MHz. The computer froze with this ram as well, but I also noticed that even after setting tweaker to normal this 1066 stuff was showing up as 800MHZ. Went into Tweaker and set DRAM freq to 1066, tRFC to 55, Dram Volts to 2.10 and NB to 1.26V. Saved and exited and I'm now running on a stable system with no freezing. So this has to be either some Ram setting I'm goofing up, the Ram sticks not compatible with each other (although they passed the memtest), or my bios is out of date to support this Ram? I may try to flash the bios tonight. In the mean time do I just go E-mail the RMA people or how do I start the replacement process to get a set of 8GBPQ and return my two 4GBPQ's?

Leave a comment:

• G.SKILL
    replied
    Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
    Try setting the FSB to 333 (stock for your CPU) and then on the RAM set the speed to manual and 1066. It's sounding as if you have the cpu/RAM in linked mode, there should be an UNLINKED MODE IN THE BIOS. Do you have the vanilla P5Q or one of the off takes (i.e. Deluxe, Pro, Pro Premium, SE, etc)
    Believe in the P5Q it's under the AI tweaker

LINKED/ UNLINKED MODE is only for Nvidia chipset, we don't hink there is a such mode in P5Q series

to ldouble_e,
    make sure you set AI tweaker to Manual, not AI NOS
    AI NOS would overclock itself
    if 4 sticks still can't work together, please send back to us
    we could replace you with F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ, which is tested with 4 sticks together
    thanks

G.S

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Try setting the FSB to 333 (stock for your CPU) and then on the RAM set the speed to manual and 1066. It's sounding as if you have the cpu/RAM in linked mode, there should be an UNLINKED MODE IN THE BIOS. Do you have the vanilla P5Q or one of the off takes (i.e. Deluxe, Pro, Pro Premium, SE, etc)
    Believe in the P5Q it's under the AI tweaker

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    Update

Well I ran memtest+86 on each individual stick in each slot. All tested good. When I said the numbers changed all it changed was my DRAM MHz from 800 to 453. Everything else was where I put it. From what I have read else where that is normal and the fact that it didn't change initially is weird? I tried running Dram 1.96V with NB at 1.40V and also upped tRFC to 55. Same deal the system freezes. You can set your watch by the freeze up. It happens at exactly 3 minutes after start-up is complete. If I run Gskill 2GB 1066MHz dual channel single module there are absolutely no issues. This to me rules out the PSU and says I have a RAM issue. The mother board QVL lists this Ram in multiple modules as tested good. I also selected "load optimized" in bios with the same results. 3 minutes frozen. I've asked for advice on the frequency settings several times with no help so I'm thinking that is my problem. My CPU is a 3.0GHz E8400 which has a default multiplier of 9. So my FSB should run at 333MHz to get to 3.0GHz. It is an ASUS board so no A,B,C but it adjusts the Dram freq to match what speed it will run at. That is why my numbers changed. At 200MHz FSB I essentially under clocked my cpu to 1.8GHz to get my ram to run right at 800MHz. My last option is to reinstall my floppy drive and flash my Bios to the latest version. I can't seem to get any help with my Frequencies on here and I have to read OCZ Forums where people understand BIOS and Frequencies but are using a different brand of Ram. If the bios flash doesn't work I'm sending back all 20GB of Ram I purchased and switching Brands.

Also my Cmos Battery is not a problem. The board is less than a year old and only one number changed which it was supposed to. This is basic ASUS motherboard knowledge I guess? A bad CMOS battery would also cause my clock to be set several years into the future which it did not. I'm still in 2009 with the correct time.
    Last edited by ldouble_e; 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    If the BIOS numbers changed on their own, you may want to try a newCMOS battery (or borrow one from another system) and go to your prior settings, where it was running good. Could also check out the PSU, it could be fluctuating, indicating upcoming failure.

Leave a comment:

• GSKILL TECH
    replied
    this doesnt sound right. it looks like it is memory issue.
    try to do this, go into your bios and load the optimize default and save it
    load up windows and see any problem or not

Leave a comment:

• ldouble_e
    replied
    I tried adjusting the DRAM volts to 1.90 and the FSB to 1.40. The computer still froze after start-up. Tested all four sticks with memtest+86 overnight passed all tests 15 or more times. Now I am testing each stick on its own. After that I will try to increase the voltage to 1.95 and tRFC to 55 as I only have options in the 50's range for 50, 55, or 60. tRFC at 52 is in auto. If none of this works I guess I'll return the sticks for the 8GB pack. I don't understand how it can test good and still cause a freezing issue or even why it ran for so long on incompatible ram before it really got bad? I'm also wondering why it was running fine but then the Bios decided to change the numbers on its own while in manual mode? It ran so nice with the FSB set at 200 DRAm at 800 and 1.9V with NB at 1.26V. Now the Bios won't even allow me to do this. As soon as I change the FSB to 200MHz my highest option for DRAM is 812 I think, but it wants to run it at 453MHZ or around there.

One stick finished testing and is good. On to stick 2 of 4.
    Last edited by ldouble_e; 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

Leave a comment:

Working...
X