DDR2 PC2 8500, big problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR2 PC2 8500, big problems

I've been using 8gb of the PC2 8500 RAM in my motherboard for several months now. It's an ASUS Striker II Formula.

I guess I'll start from the beginning.
    For many months, I had the voltage and timing settings all set to default and it ran fine.
    Then, the computer wouldn't boot except every other time.
    Then it wouldn't boot at all. It would always get stuck on DET DRAM (according to the LCD Poster)
    ASUS said to adjust the voltage to the manufacturer's settings...so I did. The manual says to adjust the voltage to 2.04v and the timing to 5-5-5-15. The FSB Memory Clock Mode is set to unlinked, FSB is set to 1333MHz and the Memory is set to 1066MHz. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version.

This solved the problem of the computer not booting up for a while. In fact, the computer ran noticeably faster.

Then it stopped booting up every time, it would only boot up every other time again.
    Then it started booting every 20th time.
    Now it doesn't boot at all. Always stuck on "DET DRAM"

I have tried every RAM in every position, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the RAM itself.

Between it working perfectly and not working at all, it had some odd behaviour relating to the number of RAM-chips in. It could always boot at 1 RAM-stick and with 2 RAM-sticks. At 3 RAM-sticks it would boot to Windows but then would bluescreen immediately. It would then restart and I couldn't catch was the error message was. With 4 RAM-sticks it wouldn't even get to loading Windows.

Sometimes, it would load Windows all the way and then bluescreen between 30 and 90 seconds after starting.

The ASUS people have said the RAM is "Losing its tolerance for being at the wrong settings". What sort of settings should I be running the RAM at?

actually, nvidia chipset is very picky to memory...

you may try to increase the CPU VTT Voltage to 1.4v to see if it would improve this issue
    for the other settings, you could just load EPP profile 1, then you don't need to set them
    and please let us know if it works
    thanks

G.S

Comment

The DET DRAM error (DETecting DRAM), HAve you had to reset your BIOS settings after the errors? If most of your mobo settingas are/and have been at auto, your CMOS battery may be dying (thus loosing the settings).

Power supply could also be having problems not putting out full juice at at boot.

As ASUS said, RAM could be going bad also.

Could be from dust in/on the mobo and components.

Easiest might just be to see if you can borrow sticks from a friend co-worker and see what happens, if it's the same problem, prob not the RAM.
      CMOS Batteries are inexpensive $4-6

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No, I have not had to reset my BIOS settings after the error. They basically 'stick' with no problems.
        I do not think the RAM is bad because when it has worked, it hasn't mattered which RAM-sticks I used or in which positions they were.
        G.Skill, are you sure you mean 1.4v? That's lower than what I have it currently set at, which is 2.04v, with the BIOS registering a memory voltage level of 2.09v. All settings are as the G.Skill online pdf manual specifies.

Comment

also please make sure your NB is not over heat

Comment

Could you try a different power supply? or different RAM. If it ran fine for months, seem indicitive of a power supply going south or possibly one or more sticks going bad.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay...interesting things have happened since last I was here.

Had some other...weird...issues for a while, which just magically disappeared.

Now: The computer seems to work fine with 4gb, that is, 2 sticks. If I put in a third stick, the computer will boot, but after attempting to load windows, it autorestarts and starts the whole process again, it will do this indefinitely.

With 8gb, that is, 4 sticks, it makes that incredibly shrill tone computers make when they can't detect any RAM at all.

All motherboard settings are at default EXCEPT:
              CPU VTT is at 1.4v, as recommended, is reading as 1.34v. Memory voltage is set to 2.04v, reads as 2.09v. FSB is at 1333mhz, Memory is at 1066mhz. Memory is at 5-5-5-15, and commands per clock is set to Auto, which is deciding upon 2T.
              Last edited by InfectiousFight; 10-13-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

What motherboard do you have? Lower CPU VTT if it is only reading at 1.34V. Memory Voltage should be set to 2.10V. NB Voltage needs to be 1.40V in order to operate 4 sticks. Please keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Turns out this may have been a fault with the motherboard...last night a part near the bottom EXPLODED, filled my room with smoke, and spewed black crap all over everything nearby. ASUS will hopefully replace the mobo...let's hope the next one works fine with this RAM.

Comment

Good luck, hope all goes well

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X