Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.Skill F2-8500 CL5D Black PI 2X2GB @1066Mhz... showing as a different memory?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill F2-8500 CL5D Black PI 2X2GB @1066Mhz... showing as a different memory?!

Hello
    Before I start, let me give you my system specs:
    E8400 @3.420Ghz (380X9)
    Gigabyte X48-DQ6
    Said RAM
    Windows 7 64bit

Now, to the problem:
    I've had the 4GB Black PI 1066Mhz memory set for quite a while now, but as I upgraded my CPU and motherboard I went on and overclocked my system a bit (without changing voltages). As I ran tests I suddenly noticed my RAM was listed as PC2-6400, which it is not (it's PC2-8500 or F2-8500). And because the PC2-6400 has a max bandwidth of 400Mhz, I set the FSB at 380 and up until now it worked fine, but if I try and go as much as 385 the OS won't boot. At 390 my computer won't even get pas the POST screen.

"Fine", I thought to myself, "gaps happen sometimes. I can surely just jump ahead to 410 and it'll work". I was wrong, as any setting above 390 won't work - the computer doesn't even get to show anything on screen before it's restarting itself. And of course, I tried these settings with multiple values of clocks, SPDs and ratios. It just won't work. The voltages are fine, the memory receives every bit of the 2.1 it requires.

So I'm asking, what's wrong with my RAM? How could it possibly be registered to stop at 400Mhz? It should provide a lot more. Are the sticks faulty? Was I scammed into buying PC2-6400 instead of 8500? If it's the right sticks - how do I get the system to recognize them like it should?

Thanks,
    Yoav

You are using the 2.66D multiplier? Test one at a time, or try raising CPU VCore and/or CPU FSB Termination Voltage.

PC2-6400 is correct, that is the same for all modules.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm pretty much sure I do... I'll test now. Are you saying that I should be able to up the FSB as long as I keep the multiplier at 2.66D?

And if PC2-6400 is correct, does it also mean I can't raise the FSB beyond 400, or does it have nothing to do with each other? Also, using a lousy old Thermaltake TR2 470W, where should I stop raising voltages? And by how much?

Really thanks for the fast reply.

Comment

No, I'm just trying to get an understanding of how you are attempting this, and checking to see if you are on the right track. One slightly off setting can cause your system not to boot at all.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Holy cow you were right. I wasn't on 2.66D and now I'm using it with 400Mhz bus speed and it seems highly stable (going to test now).

How much do you think I can stress the OC in terms of RAM speed? Is it okay to go past the 1066Mhz? And since I've been using 2.40B up until now, do you think I'll see a change in performance (912VS1066)?

As you can see I'm not a trained overclocker to say the least
          If I add voltage to the RAM or CPU, how far is too much? I don't wanna make my room a 4th of July show.
          Last edited by Rome101; 05-02-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do, with the DRAM, can try raising the frequency (speed) using same settings till it wants to crash, then try raising the DRAM voltage a bit (maybe .02 at a time) or loosening timings, say if you are at 5-5-5-15 could loosen to 6-5-5-16 and see how high that would go. Reverse is true also, can at times, increase performance by tightening timings i.e. I currently have a set of Snipers at 9-9-9-24 1333 that I've tightened to 7-7-7-21 1333 which gave a good noticeable boost.

As far as voltages might want to keep DRAM within .1 of spec, so if sticks are 1.8 keep it to 1.9 or below. On the CPU, for the 8400 the max suggested vCore voltage is 1.3625....but you should be able to hit 4GHz at 1.34 or less.....if you do OC beyond say 3.7, will prob want a good aftermarket heatsink/cooler

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply

I intend on increasing performance for gaming. My PSU is going to be replaced real soon, so after I've done that I'll try messing around with voltages. Currently I fear my TR2 will blow the whole building or something.

My default voltage is 2.1. Thanks to you I'll know not to raise it beyond 2.2.
              I've got my system all cooled down though. My NZXT Tempest is equipped with several fans (6 to be exact) that provide good airflow, and I've got the V1-AX by ThermalRight to cool my CPU. It works wonders, and I'm currently running at 3.6Ghz (20% overclock) with 34 degrees Celsius. Even while gaming I think I never topped 50. Consider I'm living in Israel and it's like 26 degrees in here, and I haven't done a good dust-off for a long time now (gonna do it at weekend to celebrate my OC haha).
              Edit:
              Damn... I just had a bluescreen with page error in nonpaged area (which means RAM-related issues, right?). If it happens again I'll try increasing voltages a tad. It happened mid-game, so it seems the problem happens when the PC is under pressure.

Last question: now that I'll try and reach higher FSB frequencies, should I make sure the SPD multiplier is at 400Mhz-strapping? What clock should I aim towards (like 800, 1066... what's the next most stable frequency?)? Should I calculate my FSB according to the SPD or just let it be whatever number it wants to be?

Thanks a lot for your quick, thorough and effective help, it's much appreciated. I'll report back when and if I encounter more problems/questions regarding RAM.
              Last edited by Rome101; 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

If the blue screen came from the DRAM can check each stick w/ Memtest to make sure they aren't bad - the error means Windows was looking for a piece of data that it couldn't find and the causes for this are numerous...could be anti-virus software, bad/corrupt hardware/hardware driver, corrupt HD, video card, etc.

When going for higher FSB and playing w/ the strap, it will vary from mobo to mobo, BIOS to BIOS, CPU to CPU, etc...since it will be high may want to start with 400 and experiment with others after getting a stable box w/ OC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I keep getting blue screens. Tried loosening timings a bit (6-5-5-16 instead of 5-5-5-15) and increased memory voltage by 0.05. Gonna run Memtest tomorrow.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X