Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.Skill: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK LOW Performance scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK LOW Performance scores?

When I upgraded my system with the P5Q Pro Turbo I also replace my 4x1Gb modules of Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 Ram I'd been running with a pair of G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK modules.

Every performance test I ran looked low to me for the speeds & timings they were running, so I did a comparison test & swapped out the G.Skill with my old Corsair Ram with the exact same timings & speed & tested again.

Much to my amazement the Corsair scores soared over the G.Skill BIG-TIME with the exact same settings!!!
    I ran a lot of tests to verify this not only on Everest, but also on Sandra as well with the same results of low memory efficiency & performance scores every single time...

So this makes me think there's something wrong with the modules I got.
    What's weird though is when I run diagnostics on them they report back fine with no errors of any kind.

Here's the pics of Everest Cache-Memory Benchmark running the G.Skill & the Corsair Ram in pic links below.
    Tell me what you think about this & get back to me as to why this is...weird that my Corsair DDR2-6400 wipes out the G.Skill DDR2-1066...
    Is this normal performance for G.Skill 1066 Ram???

Before you ask the NB is at 1.4v & the Ram is at 2.1v...
    All the voltage settings are in the link below...

G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK: Benchmark results.

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4: Benchmark results.

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Voltage Settings
    Last edited by MUff1N; 05-04-2011, 08:46 AM.
    CPU-Z 4.0GHz OC Validation

whoooaaa G.Skill slaughtered! haha

Post some screen shots of advanced timings, make sure they are the same as your other kit. There's definitely a problem, those G.Skill sticks are performing like DDR2-667 or standard DDR2-800!

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Advanced Timings for G.Skill & Corsair

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Whoooaaa G.Skill slaughtered! haha

Post some screen shots of advanced timings, make sure they are the same as your other kit. There's definitely a problem, those G.Skill sticks are performing like DDR2-667 or standard DDR2-800!

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

OK I think this is what you were asking for which is the Advanced Timings for G.Skill & Corsair with the same settings applied. [The only change was memory voltage which was lowered from 2.20v(Corsair)-to 2.10v for the G.Skill.

Links below to the screenshots.
      Btw, thanks for you time as its much appreciated!

G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK [Advanced Timings & SPD @ 1000MHz]

G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK [Advanced NB Timings @ 1000MHz]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 [Advanced Timings & SPD]

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 [Advanced Timings-NB]

Comment

As I suspected, the advanced timings are slightly lower for the Corsair set. Try the same advanced timings, then test for the lowest values for maximum performance. You should be able to lower the G.Skill modules quite a bit, even the first four main timings may be possible. It seems that DDR2-1000 range isn't a good AUTO point for the G.Skill memory.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Interesting End Results on Experiments...

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          As I suspected, the advanced timings are slightly lower for the Corsair set. Try the same advanced timings, then test for the lowest values for maximum performance. You should be able to lower the G.Skill modules quite a bit, even the first four main timings may be possible. It seems that DDR2-1000 range isn't a good AUTO point for the G.Skill memory.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          If you look closely at the timings below, you will see the only diff between the Corsair & G.Skill timings now is "Refresh Cycle Time" which I change from 52 to 45 which is as close to 42 as I could get.
          Now, anything else in the timings that I try to lower in the G.Skill results in errors or BSOD so this is as good as it gets with these G.Skill modules & the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo mobo.
          The 3 timings that were different than the Corsair I change to the Corsairs values will little to no throughput increases at all which I figured would be the case as I've tried everything on this board already.
          There seems to be a problem between this model of G.Skill memory & this board even though its in their (yours too) QVL listings of compatible memory modules.
          Results of this below in links.

G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK & Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 [Advanced Timings]

G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK Throughput after Timings change to Corsair Values.

Now this is where things get interesting for me...
          Since I still have the case open, let's see what happens when I have both the Corsair & G.Skill installed at the same time shall we?

Well wadda ya know, the G.Skill & Corsair combined makes the memory throughput of the G.Skill increase significantly!
          (A memory throughput increase of about 3,000mbs in Read, Write & Copy)

G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK & Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 [Both installed Throughput score]

The only thing I can figure as to why this happened is because the mobo's advanced auto tuning features (enhanced pullins on all the memory channels @ PL-10) are kicking in & following the Corsair's timings more...
          Still it's a shame the only way I can get decent memory performance throughput with the G.Skill set is to use the Corsair set combination with them...
          But at least I can live with this memory throughput performance now & I have 6Gigs of memory install, so it's not all bad!

Final Note: I'm sure the G.SKILL-F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK set performs to specs in other more compatible boards as the reviews I read were good & the reason I bought them.
          I just wish the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo was one of them...
          Last edited by MUff1N; 05-01-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Interesting also the sticks work together...and well... The problem w/ the PKs may have something to do with the BIOS.... hasn't been updated since 9/8/2009

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Whatever Works...

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Interesting also the sticks work together...and well... The problem w/ the PKs may have something to do with the BIOS.... hasn't been updated since 9/8/2009
              Yea Tradesman, I'm just glad I found a way to get the memory up to speed even if it was an unorthodox method of achieving it...as long as the end results were good is all that counts to me.

That is the last officially released bios for the mobo & there won't be any new ones either considering its a discontinued mobo model...
              I'm leery of using a modified bios by say Ket too even though some have had good results using them.
              Last edited by MUff1N; 05-02-2011, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Don't blame you, looks like you came out w/ a bonus from experimenting by being able to utilize the other sticks with the new. Plus w/ the extra, the system may assign more DRAM to the GPU and pick up vid performance as well....have fun!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X