Memory Issues w/ ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Issues w/ ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard

This is a copy of an email that I recently sent to ustech@gskill.com. I'm currently pending reply from him and wanted to get a second opinion from the techs on this forum. Has anyone else had this issue?

I've run into a slight problem that only recently manifested itself. I run 8 gigs of the G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B in my system with a ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard and Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz. I used to have absolutely no problem with all 4 sticks in slots, but since i've started playing more graphic/cpu intense games such as Crysis, and Crysis Warhead i've been getting extreme lock ups. Sometimes the computer will crash outright ingame, or browsing the internet, other times it'll just freeze up. I've checked the bios multiple times and updated it via flashing to the latest version with still no luck.

It has gotten to the point that the system is only stable when I use 3/4 sticks. If I add the last one it's only a matter of time before it shuts itself off again. When it does this, I cannot restart/boot/post without removing a stick as the display will not appear. The video card being used is the Visiontek Radeon HD4870x2, and has used numerous drivers (including the most recent) with no issues. The game is playable with 6GB of memory, but bumping to 8GB gives me the issue.

My guess is that the motherboard is not supplying enough power to the RAM or they are improperly configured in the BIOS. Another thing, after the computer crashes and I remove a stick to get the system to actually start, it brings me straight to my BIOS utility and asks me to flash back to a previous version, which i've done before and it hasn't fixed anything. So i've began to leave it with BIOS 2001 which is the latest revision and skip that process. Could the power be shorting the system out and causing it to shut down? My power supply is a PC Power Cooling Silencer 750 Watt.

Any help is certainly appreciated, please get back to me asap.

There's a number of possibilities:

With 8 GB you might want your voltage at 1.9 (possibly 2.0). Also may want to relax the timings to 5-5-5-15, the 4-4-4-12 timings are tight for 8 GB.

Wouldn't think it's your PS, your Silencer is actually made by Seasonic, and are pretty solid (believe they are also SLI cert and maybe for Crossfire, haven't used one for awhile, the older Silencer line was made by Sparkle, which I'm not real thrilled with.

If you are removing the same stick each time, might try running memtest on it by itself. If you've been pulling different sticks, that's probably not it, but might still want to test each stick individually.

I'd also look at your overall setup, I could see crashes coming from your description.

First, you're running a 4870X2, with your CPU at 2.4 it's sort of bottlenecking things which can cause crashes when gaming. Then after a crash, you may end up with corrupt files, BIOS might reset etc.

To run your Q6600 at 2.4 (it's native speed) you are either running your FSB at 1066 (to hit 2.4) or possible you have the FSB at 1333 and have reduced the the CPU's multiplier. Either of these options can affect stability, especially if you have the FSB down to 1066, since the P5Q wants to run at 1333.

You didn't mention if you're using an aftermarket heatsink or what the stepping on your Q6600 is, but you should be able to set your FSB to 1333 and run your CPU at 3.0GHz with either the Q6600 B3 or G0 stepping if you have a decent aftermarket HS. If you have a good HS, you could run even a higher FSB with the G0 (1600) easily and even the B3 (1400-????)

If you have the Q6600 with the B3 stepping and, say, the stock heatsink, @ 3 GHz (1333 FSB) you mighy drop the multiplier a half point, to 8.5, if it starts running to hot.

With a rig like yours I'd probably start at 1333 FSB, which would put your CPU at 3GHz (might have to raise the voltage (vCore) a bit) and try the RAM at the 4-4-4-12, if it doesn't run or problems continue, relax the timings to 5-5-5-15 1.9 or 2.0.

Haven't used your particular RAM with this board, but have done a number of builds with the P5Q family of mobos.

If it doesn't work, let me know what the settings are (RAM timings, command rate, voltage, CPU speed, CPU voltage, CPU multiplier, FSB, what heatsink you're using, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSeptember View Post
      This is a copy of an email that I recently sent to ustech@gskill.com. I'm currently pending reply from him and wanted to get a second opinion from the techs on this forum. Has anyone else had this issue?

I've run into a slight problem that only recently manifested itself. I run 8 gigs of the G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B in my system with a ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard and Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz. I used to have absolutely no problem with all 4 sticks in slots, but since i've started playing more graphic/cpu intense games such as Crysis, and Crysis Warhead i've been getting extreme lock ups. Sometimes the computer will crash outright ingame, or browsing the internet, other times it'll just freeze up. I've checked the bios multiple times and updated it via flashing to the latest version with still no luck.

It has gotten to the point that the system is only stable when I use 3/4 sticks. If I add the last one it's only a matter of time before it shuts itself off again. When it does this, I cannot restart/boot/post without removing a stick as the display will not appear. The video card being used is the Visiontek Radeon HD4870x2, and has used numerous drivers (including the most recent) with no issues. The game is playable with 6GB of memory, but bumping to 8GB gives me the issue.

My guess is that the motherboard is not supplying enough power to the RAM or they are improperly configured in the BIOS. Another thing, after the computer crashes and I remove a stick to get the system to actually start, it brings me straight to my BIOS utility and asks me to flash back to a previous version, which i've done before and it hasn't fixed anything. So i've began to leave it with BIOS 2001 which is the latest revision and skip that process. Could the power be shorting the system out and causing it to shut down? My power supply is a PC Power Cooling Silencer 750 Watt.

Any help is certainly appreciated, please get back to me asap.
      you may try to increase the FSB voltage to 1.4v or relax your timing to auto or 5-5-5-15
      we don't guarantee every 2 pairs could run together without problem
      and what operation system did you use?
      you'll need Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64 to get total 8GB memory to use
      but generally, it is not so suitable to run game in 64bit system
      many games have compatible issue while running on 64bit system

G.S

Comment

Wow thats certainly alot of things to look at. I'll try and take this as its coming. First off, the sticks don't seem to be the problem per-say. At first I had thought that one stick was corrupt as everytime I added it, it seemed to do this. But I ran memtest on each of the sticks individually and had no problems. The memory timings are already relaxed so to speak, as the default numbers its putting up are 5-5-5-15. I did however up the voltage to 2.0 (was set on Auto before). The CPU bottlenecking is something I didn't think about, and to be honest alot of the settings you were talking about i've seen but i've never really paid attention to them. I'm hesitant to adjust too much as i'm running on the packaged Intel heatsink (Got the CPU/Heatsink bundle I believe, if I can find it on Newegg again i'll post it).

How do I check the stepping for the processor? B3 and G0 are something i'm not familiar with.

The system is using Windows Vista x64, and i've tried running the games in DX9/DX10 individually, and used Crysis' 64 bit game .exe and its 32 bit and I still run into the same problem with the blackouts.

I'm going to run into my bios and try to get some information real quick.

Comment

Easiest if you still have the box or can look at the CPu face - the B3 will have SL9UM spec on it and the G0 stepping is identified by the code SLACR as part of the product id code. The B3 was the initial stepping, and the G) came later and OCe better. Intel still makes both, so it the luck of the draw which one you get if you buy on-line, like from NewEgg.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay, well I went into the BIOS and starting fooling with the FSB settings. It was at 266, so I bumped it up to 333 MHz to get it to clock to 1333. No luck. The system kept shutting down, consecutively faster and faster the more I tried to boot. I think it was overheating. So I reset to the defaults and tried again with still no luck. Now the settings are back at auto and it boots. I also tried adding that last stick again, and now it BSOD's quickly after the Vista progress bar shows up on boot.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...q_deluxe/4.htm

That page shows what I see currently on my bios settings (not his exact settings). If you take a look at the pictures could you tell me exactly what I should be altering so I don't end up frying my computer?

Comment

I'm heading for a job, but real quick take a look under the BIOS power setting and see what your CPU is at...the max Intel says is 1.5, to run at 333 you will need 1.325 or so, maybe a little more or less. Will check back in later this afternoon or early this evening, I'm on AZ time (basically PST).

Tman

Comment

Will check back on you in the morning (Thurs)

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSeptember View Post
                  Okay, well I went into the BIOS and starting fooling with the FSB settings. It was at 266, so I bumped it up to 333 MHz to get it to clock to 1333. No luck. The system kept shutting down, consecutively faster and faster the more I tried to boot. I think it was overheating. So I reset to the defaults and tried again with still no luck. Now the settings are back at auto and it boots. I also tried adding that last stick again, and now it BSOD's quickly after the Vista progress bar shows up on boot.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...q_deluxe/4.htm

That page shows what I see currently on my bios settings (not his exact settings). If you take a look at the pictures could you tell me exactly what I should be altering so I don't end up frying my computer?
                  there is nothing about memory setting on the page you said....

and did you try our recommendation yet?

G.S

Comment

@GSKILL - Yeah, I've tried your reccomendation of running the memory settings at Auto (which at the default puts the timings at 5-5-5-15) and I am still having no luck with that last stick. I'm going to up the FSB voltage as you requested and see if anything changes.

@Tradesman - Setting the FSB to 333 and the CPU power to 1.325 seems to have stabilized the system. But the processor is still clocked at 2.4GHz, am I missing another setting?

Comment

And I incorrectly linked the wrong page of that P5Q Review.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...q_deluxe/5.htm

Page 5 holds the screenshots of the AI Tweaker which is where all the alterations can happen. Sorry about that.

Comment

Your BIOS probably stepped down the CPU stepping, it's located in the Advanced section, and referred to RATIO (fourth screen shot you provided) shown as "AUTO", the stepping for the Q6600 tops at 9. You can normally set it in ,5 increases i.e. 8, 8.5, 9. The speed it will be running at will be the FSB (in this case 333, times the stepping, So if you go to 9, you'd be running right at 3 GHz, as I mentioned before. If the heat is to high you can scale it down.

Tman

Comment

Alright so i've finally gotten the CPU straigtened out. Now back to working on the memory. It was giving me more trouble this morning and would only boot with 4GB in the system. Now that the CPU is upped i'm going to take another look at the system with 3 sticks in, and then hopefully if its working put the last one in as well. The times at auto are already at 5-5-5-15 but i'll try switching it to manual and see if that helps at all.

Comment

6GB's working again, but negatron on the 8GB. So I guess i'm just **** out of luck then. I don't think Newegg will do a special RMA for say 2x4B sticks would they? From what I had ready it's always been an exact replacement.

Comment

Well now that the rest is stable (with 6 GB), couple things to try

1. Make sure your command Rate is at 2T (and try 4th stick) or.....

2. At your stock settings, take a look at the advanced timings for RAM, look for the tRFC settings, try it at 54 or 56 (possibly higher).....or

3. Try relaxing the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 6-6-6-18 (with command rate at 2T)

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X