Asus P5B Deluxe and F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P5B Deluxe and F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK

I purchased 2 kits of this memory (4X1GB). I have an E8400 cpu, Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard. I can configure my motherboard bios blindfolded and use the very latest bios. There is nothing you can do to make this ram run at 1066MHz. It also causes me to underclock my 3.0GHz cpu down to 2.4GHz. No overclocking at all. I'm thoroughly tired of all the misinformation and false advertisement.

If this is the original P5B Deluxe, I don't think they ever tweaked the BIOS to run 1066 RAM. I remember thay had a number of BIOS upgrades, but most were centered on CPU support. I had troubles with one of these about 6-7 months ago, where a customer wanted to upgrade the CPU, played with it for a day or so. I'd check their web site.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

According to GSkill's install instructions, for a 266 FSB cpu, set the cpu FSB frequency to 266 and dram to 1067. Doesn't work!! For a 333 FSB cpu, set frequency to 355 and dram to 1065. Doesn't work, no way, no how!!! So after trying everything under the sun for a couple of days, I took a shot at the ole 1:1 ratio thingy. I didn't think it would work because my highest overclock prior to the GSkill memory was a 375 FSB. Any more would heat up my cpu very quickly. GSkill's 1066 sticks will only run at 800. So I set the FSB at 400 and dram to 800 (1:1) and to my surprise, it works. Cpu runs idle in the 30C range. I get 7700s with Sandra. Four 1GB sticks of this ram refuses to run at anything above DDR2 800. G0 figure!!

Comment

I've had 2 sticks of Crucial 1066 memory overclocked to 1125 on my rig before this, so apparently filling all four dimm slots is against motherboard rules and regulations.

Comment

Was out at the ASUS site last night after looking at my notes from the customer I mentioned, and checked your mobo, couldn't find anything in the BIOS updates about RAM and on their QVL the highest they show is 800 RAM. I think to get these working at 1066 would take some major tweaking and voltage increases (which could reduce the mobo life span, if not outright kill it , the RAM and or the CPU for what would be a relatively minor performance increase. Generally, if the mobo is rated to the specs i.e. 1066, I've generally been able to get them to run, but if it's not, it's not really worth breaking things.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I've just tried using just two sticks on channel 1 @1065 and it's a no go. I even tried underclocking my E8400 down to 266 freq. and still nothing. Works fine setting the ram @800, including overclocking my cpu from 3GHz to 3.6GHz @ low volts and on air. I'm going to up the cpu and ram a little at a time now, keeping it at 1:1 ratio and see what happens. Thanks so much for your replies. Appreciate it!

Comment

No problem, as long as it's stable w/ the OC, might jot down all your settings to give a fall back point depending on how all goes.

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

Asus P5B

This is a great overclocker, in all the settings and ram I tried it liked only two slots for 1065, I used 8500CL5-2GBHK and it ran just fine. Once I filled all slots it would not run at 1066, but would run at 1000. I then went out and bought a Commando and it runs 1066 no problem now with the new bios update and a E8400 cpu. Had it as high as 4.28 but it was unstable after a few hours and then went back to 3.75 and runs 24/7 without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by aceshu View Post
                  I've just tried using just two sticks on channel 1 @1065 and it's a no go. I even tried underclocking my E8400 down to 266 freq. and still nothing. Works fine setting the ram @800, including overclocking my cpu from 3GHz to 3.6GHz @ low volts and on air. I'm going to up the cpu and ram a little at a time now, keeping it at 1:1 ratio and see what happens. Thanks so much for your replies. Appreciate it!

would you like to try to install 2 sticks in slot 2 and 4 and run at FSB 333 /DRAM frequency 1066?
                  and please increase FSB and NB voltage to 1.4-1.5v to run at DDR2 1066
                  for 4 sticks, we can't guarantee they could work together
                  but for 2 sticks in dual channel, it should run fine on P965 chipset
                  thanks

G.S

Comment

1. This memory will NOT run at 1066 with any configuration. (2 or 4 sticks)
                    2. A DRAM setting of 1066 is not available under 333 FSB.
                    3. Any DRAM setting above 800 will not work with 4 X 1GB.
                    4. I achieved a DRAM setting of 1000 at a few FSB settings, but only with 2 sticks.
                    5. Increasing FSB and NB voltage does nothing.
                    6. The best settings are FSB 400 and DRAM at 800.
                    7. Why try just 2 sticks when I bought 4 sticks to have more memory.
                    8. This memory needs to be taken off of the P965 support list.

Comment

sorry, but we do actually state on our official website that it is only guaranteed for 2 dimms in dual channel, not 4 dimms
                      and we also tested this model on P965 platform, even the same motherboard as yours, ASUS P5B Deluxe
                      there is no such issue while running DDR2 1066 with FSB 800/1066 CPU
                      if you if you still have any problem while running in dual channel with 2 dimms, it's fine to RMA with us
                      and we knew 333/1066 is not suuported for P965 since CPU with FSB 1333 is not officially designed to run on P965 platform
                      it needs to be at least P35 chipset to support 333/1066 ratio of FSB/DRAM FREQUENCY
                      thanks

G.S

Comment

Is there any Asus P45 board that this memory will absolutely run 4 X 1GB @ 1066 (1065, 1067)? Never had to RMA before so what's the process of doing a RMA?

Comment

If the sticks are good, I'd say any of the ASUS P45 P5Q boards. I've built or worked on a few and haven't had any problems with 1066, except for one with a bad stick of Patriot.

Tman

Comment

If you paid attention to what I originally wrote there Mr. GSkill, i'm running an E8400. I've had Crucial sticks on this board before and had them overclocked to 1125MHz. Either your memory works or it doesn't. My 4gigs don't. Or 1,2, or 3 for that matter. This was my first GSkill purchase and most definitely my last. I'm sick of products that cause nothing but headaches. Don't give up your day job.

Comment

Not sure where you got the sticks, but if it was the Egg, you might contact customer service, let them know what happened and they might let you exchange the sticks for a different model/brand.

Worth a try, if they will, instead of 4x1, you might go 2x2, OCZ has OCZ2G10664GK in a 2x2 that runs at slightly more relaxed timings of 5-6-6-18, I've had some luck with these on picky mobos, and with only 2 sticks, it takes less juice

Can't guarantee this, but it would seem to be the best logical option, with only 2 sticks there's less load on the controller and less juice used, your example of the 2 sticks at 1125 shows 2 can run.

Good luck, hope all comes up Aces!

To GSkill, while your right the original chipset specifications for the P965 didn't include support fot the likes of the 1333 E8400, it may be because the 8400 didn't exist at the release of the P965, which was in 2006. Just because it wasn't in the original specs doesn't mean that they can't be updated - a good example I've used before is the 680i - originally designed for 800 RAM, 1066 FSB - but didn't take long at all to move to 1066 RAM and 1333 FSB. Other chipsets have gone through similar modifications, this has been going on in this business as long as PCs have been around.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X