Problem with the F2-8500CL5D-4gbPi heatspreaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with the F2-8500CL5D-4gbPi heatspreaders

The problem I am facing is the size incompatibility issue of the RAM's heatspreader, not able to fit underneath the Intel stock heatsink of a qx9650. The 8gb (4 x 2gb dual channel) is currently working and served me well for many years until I upgraded my motherboard and cooler. However, due to the size of the heatsink, I am not able to use the 2gb. I would like to have the heatspreader replaced by your company (in black and/or silver color). Within this thread, I've posted pictures of the problem and I would appreciate to have all of the RAMs be replaced with the same heatspeader and still retain the “G-Skill F2-8500CL5D-4gbPi." I would also appreciate to retain the “Pi” memory as it served me well for gaming performance and overclocking. Your attention to this matter will be appreciated.

-Ken Chow

PS: I would also like to make sure that the warranty still holds if the heatspreaders were replaced by your company as I cannot replace the heatspreader as it would potentially void the warranty.
    *I will not replace the heatsink of my computer due to the trouble it took me to attach it to the motherboard.
    Last edited by kenred2; 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM.

I received the message from the RMA dept that they are unable to replace the heatspreaders. I am very disappointed that they have not resolved my problem, let alone their lack of response, causing about 1 day delay, I wish they'd be more responsive. But anyways, I am just disappointed, they did not put any effort in helping to fix this issue, they just completely ignore the customer's request and stated, "We simply do not make replacement heatspreaders. If you can safely remove the heatspreaders without physically damaging the memory, it will not void your warranty." Safely remove the heatspreaders, really? Didn't the sticker state "void if removed," so either way if I remove your heatspreader, I'd still void the warranty... and asking your customer that it's alright to "void the warranty" your best option? You really think I'm that naive to do so? At any rate, I am also reluctant to trust any of their ram quality, nor their customer support... what happen to customer satisfaction? Where is the satisfaction to allow the customer return the rams for a new heatspreader? Really, I am very aggravated and not only that, I posted this thread about a day ago and have more than 10 views no response.... very unreliable I should say and definitely will be my last time purchasing ram from this company.

Thanks for your help, I rreeeeeeallly appreciate it, I regret purchasing 4 of your rams where you're services are not adequate, nor reliable
    Last edited by kenred2; 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

While I am not an employee of GSkill, I would offer that from building for appr 30 years and dealing with most all major and many, many minor DRAM manufacturers I can't think of a single one that would likely give a positive response to your request. Not sure why you want to blame GSkill for your problems, did you research the mobo size, the heat sink size? With sticks like you have, it's rather apparent you'll need proper clearance both in the distance and the height of a new heat sink, and no offense, but changing sinks on the 775 socket is not a big deal.

You say you want satisfaction, yet you bought the sticks you have, by your own admission they worked well for you for years, now you basically want them customized to suit you because you screwed up in new upgrades.... I'd say you had your satisfaction, those are good sticks.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        While I am not an employee of GSkill, I would offer that from building for appr 30 years and dealing with most all major and many, many minor DRAM manufacturers I can't think of a single one that would likely give a positive response to your request. Not sure why you want to blame GSkill for your problems, did you research the mobo size, the heat sink size? With sticks like you have, it's rather apparent you'll need proper clearance both in the distance and the height of a new heat sink, and no offense, but changing sinks on the 775 socket is not a big deal.

You say you want satisfaction, yet you bought the sticks you have, by your own admission they worked well for you for years, now you basically want them customized to suit you because you screwed up in new upgrades.... I'd say you had your satisfaction, those are good sticks.
        I purchased the Rampage formula motherboard several weeks ago, knowing full well that the rams are compatible. The RAMs I had were previously used on an Abit board which had been discarded due to unable to POST. unable to see anything, video cards are exhanged, PSU replaced, nothing happened, so the board is gone and time to move on with a new board which is the Rampage. When I installed the heatsink and place the RAMs on the board, I did not anticipate that the heatsink would take up so much room. Keep in mind that this heatsink was purchased separately on ebay for $35 BRAND NEW, I want to make sure that the effects of the LED would make my LANPARTY case more dramatic. I was excited to see that the heatsink fits on the socket, but again, never had I know the RAMs would be that tall to fit underneath the heatsink. Now because that problem occurred, I can only use 3 out of 4 ram slots on the motherboard, that is very disappointing because at the time I purchased these rams to be future proof, able to handle any ddr2 1066 compatible board. I feel this ram that is left out is a waste of my money, granted I spent over $170 on these rams. And because I spent these ram for a significant amount of money at the time, I wanted to make the most of it, and since one of the ram is too tall for the heatsink, what should I do? Void the warranty by replacing the heatspreader myself and risk the ram overheating due to incompatible heatspreader... I don't know, I really don't want to risk it. I paid for these RAMs in order to use them and if I cannot use all 4, then what's the point? Am I satisfied? No, because I did not purchase 3 RAMs for my board, I bought 4 of them and that's why I am bent up about their services not able to replace something small. It may not be a big deal to you, but I spent enough money on components. I don't want to waste my heatsink, just because these heatspreaders are designed to be that tall. I would appreciate if there is an upgraded heatsink available... considering the last rams I replaced which were from Crucial. instead of getting my rams back, I got a newer "upgraded" version instead because they were out of stock... I'm referring to the PC-3200 DDR memory back in the day. Crucial I've had a great experience with, but coming here to just replace a heatspreader surely is a hassle to them. I even offered to pay for shipping both ways, as long as my RAMs are covered under warranty, having a smaller sized heatspreader.

You said I screwed up with the upgrades, ok, fine, perhaps I did. And even though I did, how would anyone anticipate the RAM not able to fit in the vacinity of the qx9650 heatsink? Should every computer builder always need to measure before putting in the heatsink from the ram slots? For 30 years experience, I wonder what you would do in my shoes if you installed the heatsink and suddenly realized the rams are too tall for that heatsink.

Comment

With sticks such as these and others with similar size heatsinks and/or fans etc, most people generally check to see what will or will not work, there have been numerous posts here on the boards with users asking for sizes.

In this case though, you bought them for a specific system, they worked, they fit, all was well...then you decided to make changes and assumed everything would be just fine, when it wasn't, you go blame the manufacturer and want the sticks customized for you, down to color, labels, etc basically for free (you state however you did offer to pay shipping)....something like this opens the manufacturer up to users, that on a whim want pink, yellow, etc....heatsinks and more......which involves labor and materials for free, based on whims. The purchaser has to have some accountability.

With the price of DRAM down from a couple of years ago, you could probably sell these sticks for enough to replace them w/ a lower profile set, or replace the heatsinks yourself. This is similar to replacing a motor in a car with a different kind and them blaming the manufacturer because you can't use the same carburetor off the old one.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

PM'd you Ken.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

if he needs the standard size ram, I'd be happy to trade him, mine are identical besides the heat sink..

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qvgy8j.jpg

mine are the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

let me know, it would be an easy fix for you..

ram is only about 2mo old, purchased at NewEgg..

thanks

Indian
              Gigabyte EP45-UD3L / Q6600 @ 3.6ghz / Gigabyte 560ti OC / 8G G.Skill 1066 / XFI Platinum / Acer 22 LCD / Antec Neo 520W

Comment

Working...
              X