Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing VERY similar memory.. will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing VERY similar memory.. will it work?

MOBO - Gigabyte EP45-ud3p
    CPU - Q9550 running at 3.7 atm

question:

Currently I have this kit installed in my rig: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B link

and I was curious if this kit will work with my system F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI

They are 'basically' the same memory, correct? I know dropping in the EXACT same kit is the way to go, but I have a chance to pick up the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI for less then a brand new F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B.

Does anyone suspect anything weird? i do plan on overclocking the memory once I have my CPU stable.

and while I'm here, what does the 'B' stand for?

thank you!
    Last edited by Bungalowjunky; 02-15-2011, 06:47 AM.

B stands for Black, the two sets may well play together, may take some adjustment of voltages, i.e. higher DRAM and NB voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks for the quick reply..

according to the specs, the timings are the exact same (5-5-5-15) and the recommended voltage are the same (2.1) and they are both labeled as 'high performance and gaming'

and yes.. with more dimms I may have to bump up a few things to handle the additional sticks..

so what does 'black' really stand for? the color difference is really red vs. blue.. and the heatsinks look identical.

Under the hood are there any REAL differences? or is it mainly a marketing thing?

Comment

Believe originally the heat sinks were a blue/grey pattern, then they had the B black ones, now they have the blue/black combo and the red/black combo, believe under the hood they are the same

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X