Intel 975xbx and 6400cl4d RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 975xbx and 6400cl4d RAM

I recently bought 4 - 2Gb sticks of F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B memory to upgrade from the 4 Gigs I had previously. Once I installed the RAM my computer would not start Windows 7 and would even freeze memtest 86 and Windows RAM test. I tried installing just 2 sticks at a time with no luck. When I installed the old memory everything worked fine. Intel does say "Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported." I am not sure how this RAM is configured, but it said it was compatible with the Intel 975X chipset on the product page so I didn't think this would be a problem. My system is:

Intel D975XBX Mobo
    Intel C2D e6600 processor
    OCZ 4 X 1 PC6400 Memory working
    Trying to use 4 X F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B Memory

Thanks

Did you try one module at a time? Do you have the latest BIOS? What memory settings did you use in BIOS?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I did not try one module at a time I will do that next. RAM voltage set at 1.9 V I will try 2.1 to 2.2 and I will up the NB by.05V I was trying very conservative timings if 553Mhz with 5-5-5-15 Latencies. Bios is the latest Intel has released but they have not updated it for several years.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Update

I tried the sticks one at a time. 3 good, 1 bad. I will rma. I now have 2 sticks working dual channel at 1.9V, 667 Mghz, and 4-4-4-12. Once I get a new module I will try using all 4 slots. I have always run at 667 instead of 800 because the NB could not keep the farthest slot synched at 800. If I can get 8Gig running 667, 4-4-4-12, I will be happy. Would running 800 Mghz at 5-5-5-15 be any better?

Thanks
          Greg

Comment

You could try benching the difference in settings, in most systems they will be fairly close between 667 @ CL4 vs 800 at CL5. If one shows a higher performance you could play w/ it further say if 667 @ CL4 is a slight edge could then try 4-3-4-11 or 4-3-3-10 or even something like 3-5-5-13........playing with memory to get to the nth degree is a good way to kill hours and hours....

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X