Compatiblity question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatiblity question

I'm hoping I can get some help. I recently got some RAM and it does not want to work on my motherboard.

Model of the motherboard: MCP61PM-HM (Iris) Compaq
    Model of the memory: F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (2Gx2)
    Model of the CPU: ADO4000DDBOX

What is the problem? After installing got one short beep and a long one, then the computer restarted. My old RAM would not work either after taking out the new RAM....eventually I got it working by just placing it in the slot over and over.

I took all the adviced precautions before installing and my old RAM eventually worked, so I don't think I fried my motherboard. It might simply be a compatibility issue, but just trying to make sure!

Do you have the latest BIOS? If so, may want to start w/ a single stick in slot 1, boot into BIOS and make sure the base timings, speed and DRAM voltage are correct. Then go ahead and power down and add the second stick. If still problems try resetting the BIOS to optimum defaults

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Do you have the latest BIOS? If so, may want to start w/ a single stick in slot 1, boot into BIOS and make sure the base timings, speed and DRAM voltage are correct. Then go ahead and power down and add the second stick. If still problems try resetting the BIOS to optimum defaults
      I never bothered upgrading my BIOS because this is the description compaq has for the only BIOS update for my specific motherboard:

MCP61PM-HM Motherboard BIOS update resolves issue with missing video when resuming from sleep mode and an issue with HP Personal Media Drives.

I never had the problem, so never really bothered. Should I update it anyways?

I had a really hard time getting the computer to boot, so I am currently hesitant to try putting the RAM in because I need my computer the next few days. Also I can't get into the BIOS with the new RAM since it restarts after the two beeps.

Comment

Normally, a BIOS update will only list 1-2 things being updated, but will often involve a great number of issues and DRAM is high on the list, with new settings for different sets of sticks, so that can be part of the problem. I'd suggest the upgrade. I also understand the hesitantcy to try the changes if at a busy period, so you might see if a relative or friend has a system that uses DDR2 and could possibly try the sticks in their box, until you have time available w/ your system

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Normally, a BIOS update will only list 1-2 things being updated, but will often involve a great number of issues and DRAM is high on the list, with new settings for different sets of sticks, so that can be part of the problem. I'd suggest the upgrade. I also understand the hesitantcy to try the changes if at a busy period, so you might see if a relative or friend has a system that uses DDR2 and could possibly try the sticks in their box, until you have time available w/ your system
          Ok, will update then and will update my post when I can try again to install the RAM.

Some last questions before I go do that hopefully you or someone can answer. :]

1. What would be the explanation for my old RAM not working after trying to install the new RAM? It did work eventually, but I did not change anything. I just kept taking out the RAM and putting it in the same slot over and over. I unplugged and grounded myself to non static surfaces every time I did!

2. Im afraid I maybe did something to the slot itself, but if I did, would my ram be working at all? After I finally got my one stick to work I've been playing games and browsing and not a single error. I guess I'm asking if a defective slot would work at all.

Thank you in advance.
          Last edited by seize; 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

If it had been there for quite awhile and came straight out, may have gotten some dust into the slot, fairly common thing to happen, I generally recommend cleaning the contacts with simple rubbing alcohol using a foam makeup type applicator - some use erasers or q-tips, but both can leave material on the contacts (cotton from q-tips and little curds or even smudging from erasers), then can use a can of compressed air to blow out the slots (not a bad idea to blow out the whole case every couple months or so depending on area/habitat

Tman

Comment

If it had been there for quite awhile and came straight out, may have gotten some dust into the slot, fairly common thing to happen, I generally recommend cleaning the contacts with simple rubbing alcohol using a foam makeup type applicator - some use erasers or q-tips, but both can leave material on the contacts (cotton from q-tips and little curds or even smudging from erasers), then can use a can of compressed air to blow out the slots (not a bad idea to blow out the whole case every couple months or so depending on area/habitat
              A few blasts from my air compressor did the trick You could hardly tell there was any dust in the slots...what an easy solution! Thank you for the help.

Comment

No problem, sometimes it's little easy things you don't think of.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X