F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B @ dual-channel + ASUS P5Q = blam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B @ dual-channel + ASUS P5Q = blam

Well, I'm having some problems while using a pair of sticks of those in dual channel. When I test them individually or both sticks working at single channel in memtest I got no problems at all. But when I use them in dual channel, I get lots of reboots, errors in memtest and at prime95. Tried 1.94V and 5-5-5-15 and other timings to no success (mobo have a heap of memory settings, I didn't try the other settings).

my system is:

Corsair HX620, Asus P5Q (latest bios), Intel Q9400 @ stock, 2x2GB G.Skill @ 4-4-4-12 1.9V, Sapphire 4870 1GB, 500GB HDD.

EDIT: I forgot to add that i'm currently using Windows XP PRO SP3, but as the sticks crash on memtest that shouldn't be useful.

I got the "first model", with wavy spread fins. Any clue about a special setting that would make the sticks work as they should, or other suggestion?

Thanks.
    Last edited by devzero; 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM.

What slots do you have them installed in? Do you have other memory you can try?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I've tried dual-channel on both 1-3 and 2-4 to no sucess. I've tested single-channel on 1-2 and 3-4 withot problems. I'm yet to test another pair of sticks on it.

Comment

Couple of ideas, do you have Command Rate at 2, if not try that...else might wabt to add .1 to your current NB voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have a similar board , the p5q pro.
          You are going to want to first clear CMOS( remove battery and clear the jumper)
          Install both stick in dual channel and boot onto BIOS and set all your ram timings to auto, set ram voltage to 2 and restart.

That should at least get you into windows, ou might have play with yor divider to get the most put of your RAM if you are into that stuff. Otherwise leave it at auto and enjoy.
          Good luck

Comment

Yes, memory is running on 2T (didn't find which setting defines it to 1T anyway on the BIOS, got lost on so many options).

Gem, even with the instability of running them in dual channel I can boot my system just fine, but it crashes when doing some resource intensive operations (videos, gaming or heavy RAR'ing). I'm going to borrow a couple sticks today and run some more tests on my motherboard.

Comment

Might want to raise the NB .05 to .1 ........could you post your BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry about the delay. Yesterday, finally, I had some time to test some stuff in BIOS. I've changed an option (don't remember the name) to 'PERFORMANCE MODE', raised +0.02V to NB (1.12 now) and 0.02V to RAM (1.92V now). Seems like it did the trick. I've also ground to my eletrical installation (my PC case would discharge electricity if I touched it while stepping on the floor without sandals). Dunno if it was the combination of the stuff I did, but i'm glad it's now working as it should (memtested it for 2 hours, no errors). Thanks for the tips!

EDIT: Just a quick question. Does anyone knows how to set memory to 1T? Also, I've just set it to 4-4-4-12, but there are a heap of settings that could improve performance (they probably do, as long as you know what are you doing, lol). I'm really confused with ALL the memory settings.
                Last edited by devzero; 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Look for Command Rate or something similar i.e. Command Frequency which will have a setting of 2T, 1T, 2N or 1N (All depends on the BIOS if they use N or T) that would be it, change to 1T or 1N and give it a whirl

Tman

Comment

I've already checked and there's nothing with "Command" on CMOS.

Comment

Many of the P5Q models don't have the option, Believe the higher end 5Qs do (like the Pro) but it may not be available..could check your manual

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X