Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Bios settings F2 8500Cl5D 4 GB on XFX Board

Hi there,

I have some issues with my ram settings as it seems.

First my system:

Q9550
    XFX 750i SLI Mainboard (latest bios)
    XFX Power Supply 850W
    2 XFX GTX 260 in SLI
    G Skill F2 8500CL5D
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Ok following problem I have:

If I leave the complete bios settings default my system runs. Ram is set to 800 mhz (instead of 1066) and at 1,9 V instead of the suggested 2,1V.

Would be fine for me. BUT: every single game freezes after a few minutes of gaming time.

If I change the Voltage of the rams in the bios to the suggested 2,1 V my rig doesn't even post.
    If I go with 2,0V, the system loads and everything runs fine, I can even play games for hours without any issues.
    BUT: as soon as I turn my PC off or do a restart, the system freezes while windows is loading. No matter how often I try, it won't load windows. As soon as I go back to default settings it loads perfectly. But I can't play games anymore...

I don't mind if my RAm is running at 1066 or 800 MHz but what disturbes me is that I can't play any games.

I have also tried to manually set the Ram to 1066 Mhz, but also here the system won't load into Windows.

Anyone any idea what I could try?

Thanks!
    Cane

Have you tried testing each stick w/memtest to make sure both are good? Are the sticks in the proper slots? Could you post your BIOS settings showing the system voltages i.e. CPU, NB, DRAM, MCH, etc along with the DRAM timings?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes both checked and are fine.
      I have also tried with a different set of rams and have the same problem.

I am sure I have to change something in the bios but no idea what

As soon as I get home I will post pics from my bios.

Ram timings are set to Auto. I have tried 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 - 2t setting like stated on the sticks, but also here no change.

Yes, they are for sure in the right slots.

Comment

Ok pic upload didn't work out but here we go:

Memory Voltage 1,9V
        VTT FSB 1,2 V
        NB Voltage 1,24V
        SB Core Power 1,50 V

All settings are stock (default)

FSB Frequency 1333
        CPU Frequency 2,83 Ghz (333 x 8,5)
        DRAM Frequency 800 Mhz

Ram Timings:

tRCD, tRP, tRAS, tRRD, tRC, tWR, tWTR, tREF
        all set to Auto.

I have tried the first three with a setting of 5.

Comment

Well, not sure what model of the sticks you have (should be at the end of the model starting with 4GB???) but with what you posted - manually set speed to 1066, base timings 5-5-5-15, DRAM voltage to 2.1 and CR (Command Rate) to 2T May also want to check what tRFC is and let me know if this doesn't work, it may be at default your CR went to 1T

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

My sticks are called 4GBPI-B

Ok, tried with the settings you suggested. Doesn't even post. Not even an error beep. Nothing.

These options I still have set to Auto in my Bios:

RRD (1 - 15 possible to select)
            RC (1-31)
            WR (2-6)
            WTR (1-15)
            REF (7,8 uS or 3,9 uS)

Any other ideas?

Comment

Revert all settings, test memory at DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V, this should work without a problem. If not, test one at a time to see if one is defective causing a problem.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok tested these settings with both sticks and with each one alone.

Always the same result. After booting everything works fine, also gaming works.
                As soon as I restart windows is freezing while booting

Basically any timing setting more or less works as long as I don't touch the ram voltage. But without more voltage to the rams playing is not possible.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS (if mentioned, I missed it), otherwise, if it does the same w/ other DRAM am wondering if maybe the mobo may be amiss (maybe in the NB)

Tman

Comment

Yep I have the latest BIOS installed.

After trying a bit more I have figured out the following:
                    in order to change voltage of the ram, I need to go to overlock mode on my mobo. This is done by setting a jumper on it.
                    As soon as the jumper is set to OC mode I have the freezing windows issue after the second time booting.

When the jumper is set to no OC mode, at least windows runs properly.

Comment

That's a good start

Tman

Comment

Sort of...

Comment

Post pictures of your BIOS, not sure what can be causing this problem.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X