• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ questions

MB Gibabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
    CPU AMD Phenom X4 9750
    Memory F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    OS XP pro SP3
    Problem is blue screen crash occasionally with xp and I tried to run Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it would crash. After lots of reading I tested the memory and found one crashes running memtest86+. For now I?ll run with just the one until I can get a replacement for the other.
    My Test:
    I have two F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ. I ran memtest86+ on both of them twice in slot 1. The one shows errors within seconds on both tests and the other ran about 5 min and then over an hour with no errors.
    Another question
    Should one F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ show up as 1GB or 2GB?
    The label on both show F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ but CPU-Z says both are F2-6400CL5D-1GBNQ and 1024 Mbytes. On boot up I see less than 1GB ram with only one installed. Windows 7 upgrade advisor says I have 768MB of RAM and at least 1G is needed
    Last question
    I?m looking to up my ram and looking at F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ and F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT. The Spec?s look the same but the one is cheaper.
    Will either or both of these be compatible with the F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ and how much ram will I have after installing the two 4GB and the two 2GB ? My thoughts are to install the 4GB so I can upgrade to win7 and then install the 2GB when I get two good ones.

The BNQ sticks are great for the price and pretty friendly when it comes to compatibility.

Relative to how much memory you'll have.............

Physically you'll have as much RAM as you put into the machine. However, 32-bit OS are restricted to seeing only about 3.25Gb of the total RAM.

So, if you're going to use more than 4Gb of RAM I'd recommend going with Win7 64-bit OS.

Regards,
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

thanks and 64 bit question

thanks for the info but i know nothing about 64 bit os.

i want to try win7 but still use a lot of old software and do not know if they will run in 64 bit os or will win 7 step down to 32 if needed for older software?

i went ahead and ordered the F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT thinking more is better. Did i get more than i need if i stay with xp pro 32 bit?

do i need to wait for RMA number before mailling back this bad F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ?

thanks again for the help

Comment

I've been using Win 7 64-bit since back when I was testing RC candidates. In all of that time I've only found 1 program that wouldn't work normally or in compatibility mode. That was UltraVNC. And that is only because I've got a mixed network using both 64 and 32 bit systems. And the only problem is with a shared encryption key.

Trust me, you don't have anything to worry about if you go Win 7 64-bit. You'll never know the difference, except that the 64-bit version is super sweet and lets you take advantage of as much RAM as you want to install.

You will need to get an RMA before returning the bad kit to G.Skill. The RMA threads are on the main page of the forums here and are broke out by geographic location.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        Corsair TX950W

Comment

thank you

g.skill is great
          you can be assured i will continue buying g.skill and recommend you to everyone.

i requested RMA yesterday (Sunday) and just got it in my email. Now that is a fast response.

i have heard a lot of good things about win 7 and have wanted to try it.

your reply tells me to go ahead with the 64 bit so the extra 4gb i ordered today was not a waste.

again thank you for the help.
          gskill and this forum is great

Comment

You're welcome. And you're right........... G.Skill really rocks. I can't knock most other mfgs. either because I've used them all.

I became a G.Skill convert a few years back and was originally purchasing based on cost. However, in that time I came across a few G.Skill memory models that were just outstanding performers for the price. And in all of my G.Skill purchases I've only ever had 1 bad module (and that's out of probably 200 or more I've used).

Their focus on support after the sale, their great RMA procedures and lifetime warranty have made me a convert for life. I seldom even look at other brands anymore. About the only other two that hold any sway on me are Mushkin and OCZ.
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

Working...
            X