GA-MA790GP-DS4H Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA790GP-DS4H Issues

I am using the GA-MA790GP-DS4H with G. Skill F2-9600CL6D-4GBRH. I can't get the RAM to run in dual channel (ganged and unganged) at 800 MHz stock timings. On memtest86+ it fails test #1 and test #5. On single channel the RAM can only run at 800 MHz stock timing. Are there any timings needed to run the RAM reliably on DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 in dual channel (unganged)?

Simply set the memory settings in BIOS and it should work fine.

DRAM Frequency DDR2-1066
    DRAM Timings tCL 5 - tRCD 5 - tRP 5 - tRAS 15 - Command Rate 2
    DRAM Voltage 2.0V

What CPU do you have? Keep me posted on the results.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I am using a Phenom II x2 555 BE. I tried what was suggested but it wouldn't work in dual channel (ganged and unganged) or single channel. The RAM only works in single channel at DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 2N (1.8v - 2.0v).

Do you have any other suggestions?

Comment

Try CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V, overclocking the NB Frequency may help as well. Set that to x11 2200MHz. Sounds like your CPU is struggling to operate DDR2-1066, so tweaks will be necessary to stabilize.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok, I tried what you suggested. And even tried it on another Gigabyte AM2+ board (GA-MA785M-US2H). I don't think the memory works with AMD's memory controller/Gigabyte AM2+ boards. I can't get the system stable with dual channel (ganged and unganged) at DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066.

So then am I SOL?

Comment

No, when did you purchase the memory? You can send them in for a different kit and that should work better.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have only had the memory for a little over a month.

Comment

I would suggest contacting the motherboard manufacturer too since the motherboard may be defective. If the memory will only operate in single channel, most likely it is a motherboard or CPU problem. In these types of cases, motherboards are more commonly defective.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

I don't think it is a defective motherboard. I tried the RAM on another Gigabyte board, socket am2+. It had the same issue single channel only. It might just be incompatibility. I think I should avoid Gigabyte altogether from now on.

Comment

That's odd, they should have no problems at all. Did you use the same CPU for both motherboards? A bad memory controller on the CPU may cause this problem as well.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

These were two separate systems. The one I was building were parts I got from as a gift. The other system I tested it on is my old system that I am using as a HTPC. They are using completely different parts, the cpu is not being reused, that is also a one of the other new parts.

Comment

Based on what you're giving me, the only option I see is to send the memory in for new replacements to see if that eliminates the problem.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

How would I do that?

Comment

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                            X