Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK unstable with GA-EP45DS3R

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I have read around several forums for days and tried a pretty tedious set of combinations of slots, sticks, voltages and timings and still have an unstable system. I suspect I need to get the right combination of BIOS settings to get things to work but am currently tearing my hair out.

System details:
    4 x F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK ram whcih I am trying to use with my
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (with latest F11e beta bios)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz Processor
    Windows 7 64 bit

The system, over 12 months old, has always been unstable with regular blue screens.
    I have finally been able to investigate by running memtest86+ v4.0 and it instantly through up errors.

I have managed, with only two sticks of ram, to run it through memtest two or three times (for around 1/2 hour only) without it failing. I did this by increasing the Dram Voltage to 2.1v as mentioned on this forum.

It is set to 5-5-5-15, DRAM 2.1V

After this success I tried to get all four sticks working but without any luck. I went back to two sticks and now that will not pass memtest ether

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the ram or the motherboard but I just can't get them playing together nicely.

I have read about increasing the MCH voltage but that didn't help and someone else suggested increading the FSB voltage but I couldn't find that option and am not sure what difference that would make.

I don't want to overclock I just want stability. It is driving me crazy and I am close to ditching the whole setup and going down the Mac route.

Please can you tell mw what bios settings I should be using?
    Any and all help gratefull received

Best regards

Andy

Should look like this:

CPU Host Clock Control - Enabled
    CPU Host Frequency - 333
    Performance Enhance - Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile - Disabled
    System Memory Mulitplier - 3.20B
    DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual
    CAS Latency - 5
    tRCD - 5
    tRP - 5
    tRAS - 15

Advanced Timing Control (submenu)
    tRRD - 4
    tWTR - 4
    tWR - 8
    tRFC - 80
    tRTP - 4
    Command Rate - 2

Load Line Calibration - Disabled
    MCH Core - 1.40V
    DRAM Voltage - 2.10V

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It's just the kind of detail I was hoping for. I hope to be able to try this later today or it may have to be tomorrow and then I will post the results here.

Andy

Comment

Ok I have been able to test the settings you suggested (thanks)...

I was not able to set Load Line Calibration - a quck search around says this is not supported on the GA-Ep45-DS3R. I set all the others as you suggested, with all 4 sticks of ram in place and ran memtest86+ V4.0

It failled tests 5, 6, 7 (still running at this point and at 62208 errors)

Also I noticed that the memory throughput with these settings is worse than it was before.
        Previously it was 4777MB/s dual channel (with two sticks in either slots1&3 or slots2&4)
        with your settings and 4 sticks (all four slots in use) the rate has dropped to 4470 MB/s
        How do these figures look to you? Reasonable or poor?

Are there any more settings I can tweak?

Best regards,

Andy

Comment

Might want to kick up tRFC to 88, also ensure you've loaded the base timings, Command Rate and DRAM Voltage manually. Also, what is your vCore voltage, may be a bit low, especially if using default.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

Thanks for your suggestions - by base timings do you mean the 5-5-5-15 timings?
            If so these have been set manually as suggested by G Skill Tech. I upped the tRFC to 88 as you suggested but with all the other settings as recommended in post #2 memtest86+ failed in test 1

The vCore voltage is 1.25V which is the default. Does that seem low to you (I've no idea what this should be set to)

Thanks

Andy

Comment

With the CPU running at the stock FSB of 1333 I'd try upping the vCore to 1.275 or so, also disable EIST, C1E, Speedstep.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try testing each module with the following settings:

Load BIOS defaults, then enter...

CPU Host Clock Control - Enabled
                CPU Host Frequency - 333
                Performance Enhance - Standard
                Extreme Memory Profile - Disabled
                System Memory Mulitplier - 3.20B
                DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual
                CAS Latency - 5
                tRCD - 5
                tRP - 5
                tRAS - 15

Advanced Timing Control (submenu)
                tRRD - 4
                tWTR - 4
                tWR - 8
                tRFC - 68
                tRTP - 4
                Command Rate - 2

DRAM Voltage - 2.10V

Let me know the results and I will be able to further assist you.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi G Skill Tech. Thanks for your response. I can tell you already that they work independently and even in pairs although not 100% reliably at the settings you have listed. Apart from the voltage, the rest are the default settings I get. I upped the voltage pretty early on after reading round various forums.

The real problem is trying to get all four working together.
                  When all four are in there there is no way, so far, I can get them stable at 1066.
                  In memtest86+ they are displayed as DDR2-400?? How does that fit into the equation?

Also I'd be grateful if you can comment on the throughput of these sticks? What kind of figure should I be seeing for MB/s with 1066 ram?

Best regards,

Andy

Comment

If they do not work 100% with two modules, they will surely have issues with four. So you will need to send those in for new replacements if that is the case. Memtest86+ shows DDR2-400 while BIOS is set to DDR2-1066? That beats me..

Depending on program, DDR2-1066 should be roughly 7000MB/s

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Can you explain how come the specifications for this ram describe it as

DDR2 1066 / PC2 8500

*AND*

SPD programmed at
                      - JEDEC Standard latencies 5-5-5-15 at DDR2 800

Can you confirm that this ram is meant to run at 1066? Why are so many people having problems running at this speed? If I send the ram back using RMA and I am sent more ram which is just the same then I will have spent money on postage with no benefit.

I want to be absolutely clear that 1066 mean 1066 and not 800 or 1000

Best regards,

Andy

Comment

PS I got the specifications here: http://www.gskill.com/images/images_...on%20Guide.pdf

Comment

For the SPD, do you see the EPP#1 Profile? That one should be 1066. The max JEDEC standard is 800 5-5-5-15, so that is correct. Send me screen shots of what you're looking at and I can confirm it. People have issues for many reasons. You see a lot of it here because this is where you go if you have problems. Look at the reviews, these are really nice DDR2-1066 modules.

I don't want you to send them back for no reason either, but based off this thread so far, that's all I can suggest.

Yes, 1066 means 1066. This memory package should not even have issues with 1100. I personally have tested on all EP45 motherboards, 8GB and 4GB, at DDR2-1100, no problem. Very, very common setup. Libraries, computer labs, and such all use this particular combination.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

SPD Values

Hi G Skill Tech,

Sorry I am just getting frustrated because I expected these DIMMs to just work. I've never had issues in the past when building PCs so I don't understand what is causing the problem here.

While I am writing this I can't see how to upload an image. I can see how to link to an exisitng online image. I will try to include a snapshot of the SPD info. To answer your question I do see EPP#1 using CPU-Z but this also tells me the max bandwidth is PC2-6400 (400MHz). There is so much stuff that doesn't add up here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...eat=directlink

If you are convinced this ram should work with this motherboard then I will RMA it and hope that the replacements work.

Andy
                            PS I've just seen that I "may not post attachments" so I've tried to link to the photo.

Comment

I understand it can be frustrating, that's why I am here to help you out and walk you through the process. =)

The max bandwidth will always be PC2-6400 (400MHz) for any DDR2 motherboard. That value is based off the motherboard JEDEC standard, not the RAM. That is the reason why JEDEC #2 is 400MHz (max), then EPP#1 is 533MHz. Also the reason why anything above DDR2-800 must be manually configured in BIOS.

Now, please work with me here... you said every module works fine by itself. Did you memtest each stick to insure none are defective? Because you then go on to say you have issues with 2 modules.
                              Here's where things aren't making sense. If all modules are working fine individually, they should be able to operate together as well.

So at this point, I can not exactly pinpoint the problem. My main concern is I don't want you to spend time and money sending them back when they work just fine. So your testing/troubleshooting cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X