Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R + 6GB F2-8500CL5D: Windows fails to boot normally

Hey guys,

I?m having a problem with a memory upgrade. After a quick glance at this forum, it looks like I?m a perfect candidate for this.

Currently, I have 4 gigs in my system (specs are below). Everything works great. If I add the additional memory (specs also below), my machine boots OK and recognizes the additional memory. However, Window?s boots abnormally. Initially, Window?s boots fine, except the video resolution is on the lowest setting. Then during Window?s start up, the video driver fails to load. Occasionally, Windows will lock-up during start-up.

If I remove the additional memory, everything is fine. If I switch the old memory with the new memory, everything is fine. If I switch around which slots I use, everything is fine. I just can?t run the old and the new memory together.

I?ve tried a few of the steps mentioned on this forum. My system memory multiplier is set to run at 1066. CAS timings are 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v. MCH Core was set to 1.4v. tRFC was set to 80. CMD rate set to 2. CMD/DRAM Reference set to 1.000v. Performance Enhancement is also set to [Standard]. The only thing left for me to try is upgrade the BIOS, currently I?m using F5.

Again, 4gb or 2gb of G.Skill F2-8500CL5D runs fine, no matter what channel the sticks are in. I just can?t get the full 6gb to work simultaneously.

Thanks,

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    BIOS version: F5
    Memory:
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15@2.1v)
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK (DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15@2.1v)
    Powersupply: PC power and cooling Silencer 500Watts
    Video: SAPPHIRE, ATI Radeon HD 3850 (450watt required)

you'll want the 2GB sticks in slots 1-3 and the 1GBs in 2-4, might drop tRFC to about 68...may have to raise the NB Voltage by .05 to .1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm not sure what you meant by NB voltage? MCH core?

Edit:

I Upgraded the BIOS to F12, but this didn't seemed to help. With the default settings it actually gets stuck looping reboot. Again, if i remove either pair it works fine, doesnt matter which pair or what slot.

If i set the System Mem multiplier to run a freqencey less then 1066 (like 889 with a 200mhz FSB) i can get into windows. However, the video is all screwed up: Resolution is automatically set to the lowest setting and the video drivers fail to load.
      Last edited by Creager; 03-22-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Try memtesting each to insure no modules are defective. Sounds like the two memory packages simply aren't syncing well together, so you may need to send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I tried reinstalling the video drivers; I’m still having the same issue.

I’m starting to think my 500watt Power supply is maxed out, and can’t handle the additional memory. This could explain why the video reverts to the lowest settings and fails to function normally. Unfortunately, I don’t have another PSU on hand to test this.

Edit: replied too soon, ill give that a shot.

Comment

GSKILL TECH,

I ran Memtest86 v4.0 on each individual stick. All sticks passed without error.

Is this issue similar to something you have seen before, two memory packages not syncing well together?

Would you recommend i replace with same memory model?

If not, which model would you recommend?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions...

EDIT: Looks like I’ve got it working... at least for now!

This is what I did, step by step, following testing each stick of ram individually in memtestx86 v4.0

1) Inserted 4 GB (2x2gb) sticks in slots 1 - 3

2) Loaded fail-safe defaults in BIOS and booted windows.

3) Uninstalled my Video driver again, and made sure to delete any trace of it. Downloaded fresh drivers from the manufacturer’s website and installed them. Then shutdown.

4) Loaded BIOS and settings I was comfortable with and sure of

- Set performance enhancement to [Standard]

- Set Memory host frequency to 200 MHz,

- Set system memory multiplier to run at 800 MHz

- Set CAS timings 5-5-5-15

- Set DRAM voltage to 2.1v.

- MCH Core to 1.4v.

- tRFC was set to 80.

- CMD rate set to 2.

- CMD/DRAM Reference set to 1.000v.

5) Saved BIOS settings, booted system like normal. Everything appeared normal, and shut system down again.

6) Inserted the first 1 GB of the 2 GB (2x1gb) pair into slot 2, and booted system like normal. System ran in Flex-memory mode, and everything appeared normal. Shut down again.

7) Inserted the second 1 GB of the 2 GB (2x1gb) pair into slot 4, and booted like normal. Alas, the system booted fine and windows loaded like normal!

Yes, the video is working like it should! Not sure exactly what did it, the only thing I did differently was switch which 1 GB stick went into which slot.

The sticks have a 14-digit number of some sort printed on the label. On mine, one ends in 5, the other ends in 6. Up to this point, I’ve been placing the stick that ends in 5 in slot 2, and the stick that ends in 6 other in slot 4. Not sure why, but I switched the sticks around and it went towards fixing the problem.

However, when I got into windows I noticed my NIC wasn’t finding my network. So I uninstalled/reinstalled this driver like I did with the video driver, its working now. I’m convinced the whole issue was driver related.

Thanks,
            Last edited by Creager; 03-23-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

One last step, you're still at DDR2-800. Set to x5.33 and see if DDR2-1066 will go. Should with the settings you have...

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I assume you mean to set the System Memory Multiplier to x5.33? For some reason, it doesn't give me that option. With a MCH Frequency Latch set to 400mhz, the System Memory Multiplier gives me the options of 2.0, 2.66, 3.2 and Auto.

I tried a few different combinations to get DDR2-1066. However, the machine wouldn't boot with these settings.

It ran it with DDR2-889, and it was fine. I thought I saw a DDR2-960 as well, but I didn’t try 960.

Just for the record, im running the CPU Host Frequency at 400mhz.

Thanks,
                Last edited by Creager; 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Whoops, I meant 2.66. Post up screen shots of your BIOS so I can see if anything is holding you back.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Sorry, the sizes got a little goofy

Last edited by Creager; 03-25-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Settings look fine other than disabling XMP. You may simply have two sets that can not operate together.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Do these help at all?

Otherwise, i guess ill return this memory.

Comment

Go ahead and send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                          X